Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Acts 16:14

JM

When Paul was preaching there were some bystanders and…

“…Now a certain woman named Lydia heard us. She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God. The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul.†(NKJV)

If the Lord opened Lydia's heart "to take heed to Paul’s message" where is there room for the desire for resistance. When the Scripture speaks of opening of softening of the heart in reference to God, it always speaks of God accomplishing his redemptive purpose. When our hearts are opened "to take heed" there is no question that such a one infallibly comes to faith in Christ. Even when Paul says, “O Corinthians, our heart is opened wide†it means that he is already completely theirs. There is no evidence whatsoever that Luke intends us to understand this incident as one where Lydia would be able to even have the desire for, let alone, the full power of rejection. God opens hearts TO UNDERSTAND, TO HEED. The action goes all the way, not part of the way as some believe.

peace

All Planned

All is Planned
  • Isa 14:24 The LORD of hosts has sworn saying, "Surely, just as I have
    intended so it has happened
    , and just as I have planned so it will stand,

Isa 14:27 "For the LORD of hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it?
    And as for His stretched-out hand, who can turn it back?"

Jer 47:7 "How can it be quiet, When the LORD has given it an order?

Ps 139:4 Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD,
    You know it all.

Lam 3:37 Who is there who speaks and it comes to pass, Unless the Lord
    has commanded it?
    38 Is it not from the mouth of the Most High That both good and ill go forth?
This is so awsome, I an not able to comprehend it all!

.......R

Acts 16:14 --

This encounter with Lydia took place "on the sabbath".

Paul and all the Apostles were still observing the Sabbath, even at this late date -- some 30 to 50 years after Jesus' resurrection.

Even at this late date, it was still Paul's manner -- his ethos -- to observe the Sabbath Day (Acts 17:2).

JM said:

“…Now a certain woman named Lydia heard us. She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God. The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul.†(NKJV)

If the Lord opened Lydia's heart "to take heed to Paul’s message" where is there room for the desire for resistance. When the Scripture speaks of opening of softening of the heart in reference to God, it always speaks of God accomplishing his redemptive purpose. When our hearts are opened "to take heed" there is no question that such a one infallibly comes to faith in Christ. Even when Paul says, “O Corinthians, our heart is opened wide†it means that he is already completely theirs. There is no evidence whatsoever that Luke intends us to understand this incident as one where Lydia would be able to even have the desire for, let alone, the full power of rejection. God opens hearts TO UNDERSTAND, TO HEED. The action goes all the way, not part of the way as some believe.

peace

Back