Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

After the Resurrection...

Lloyd81

The Bible states that Mary did not recognise Jesus, she thought he was the gardener.

Does this mean then, that his physical appearance was different?

Surely if his appearance was the same, as prior to the Resurrection, whether in gardening 'attire' or not, she would have recognised him?

Also, the disciples, in particular Thomas, had to feel the wound marks in order to recognise him? Surely, just being next to Jesus, he could have recognised him from his appearance?

Am I being stupid here? I don't know, but I'm just wondering about it.

God bless.

I too have wondered about that passage. Of course Mary wasn't expecting to see Jesus alive and standing outside the tomb. But still, as familiar as she was with Him one would think she would immediately recognize Him. I've always just dismissed my doubt by thinking that He must have been turned away from her as she approached, or something like that.

I think it just needed the Lord to open her eyes to Him. Take this passage about the road to Emmaus:

13Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles[a] from Jerusalem. 14They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. 15As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; 16but they were kept from recognizing him.

Then later....
30When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. 31Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"

Sometimes it just suits the Lord's purpose that we not recognize Him. But, I do think He looked exactly as He did, prior to the crucifixion. I do wonder about scarring on His body. We know that the holes are in His hands, as He told Thomas to put his fingers into them.

That will be hard, to look at His scars, and know that I'm the one responsible for them.

Ahhh Handy .. great response. You have opened my eyes, thank you, I get it. Reading those passages has made it clear. What a great and wonderful Lord we serve!! :yes

Thanks to you both for replying.

Back