Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

[_ Old Earth _] AIG: Are humans just another kind of animal?

K

Khristeeanos

Q: Are humans just another kind of animal?

A: If one accepts the evolutionary teaching that we evolved from some apelike creature, then we are just a higher form of animal. But the Bible doesn’t teach this at all.

In Genesis 1–2, we’re told that the land animals were all formed when God commanded them to be brought forth from the earth. But Adam and Eve were individually created by God Himself; Adam out of the dust of the ground and Eve out of Adam’s side.

God also breathed the breath of life into Adam. This didn’t happen to any of the animals. The Bible also says that Adam and Eve were made in God’s image and were given dominion over the animals.

Additionally, Adam was told to name the animals. The Bible says that there was not found a suitable helper for him, indicating that he was significantly different from the animals. So, God specially made a woman from Adam’s side.

While humans have bodies somewhat similar to mammalsâ€â€they’re not just animals. Humans were made to have fellowship with their Creator.

Bonsai said:

A: If one accepts the evolutionary teaching that we evolved from some apelike creature, then we are just a higher form of animal. But the Bible doesn’t teach this at all.

In Genesis 1–2, we’re told that the land animals were all formed when God commanded them to be brought forth from the earth. But Adam and Eve were individually created by God Himself; Adam out of the dust of the ground and Eve out of Adam’s side.

God also breathed the breath of life into Adam. This didn’t happen to any of the animals. The Bible also says that Adam and Eve were made in God’s image and were given dominion over the animals.

Additionally, Adam was told to name the animals. The Bible says that there was not found a suitable helper for him, indicating that he was significantly different from the animals. So, God specially made a woman from Adam’s side.

While humans have bodies somewhat similar to mammalsâ€â€they’re not just animals. Humans were made to have fellowship with their Creator.

Only scientists who only see humans from a petrie dish will call humans animals. They have no clue how much more potential we have than animals have. Humans cannot be analyzed by mere genes.But that's all scientists can see. All they need to do is get out of their laboratories and see reality. Only then will the differences between animals and humans be obvious to them. :)

Yes. A very smart one, but yes.
If one accepts the evolutionary teaching that we evolved from some apelike creature, then we are just a higher form of animal.
actually no, there are no "higher" and "lower" species... except maybe if you count the success/adaptability of the species, in which case cockroaches and many others would win over humans every time.
While humans have bodies somewhat similar to mammalsâ€â€they’re not just animals
And that's taxonomy. Anatomical and physiological similarities.
All they need to do is get out of their laboratories and see reality. Only then will the differences between animals and humans be obvious to them.
Scientists are the ones who study animals and humans, not you. You're the one who needs to see reality, there is nothing that separates us from other animals. Intelligence doesn't count btw. One doesn't say a kid with down syndrome isn't a human anymore because he's mentally challanged.

Why AREN'T we animals then? give me scientific reasons.

Oran_Taran said:
[quote:2eb2b]If one accepts the evolutionary teaching that we evolved from some apelike creature, then we are just a higher form of animal.
actually no, there are no "higher" and "lower" species... except maybe if you count the success/adaptability of the species, in which case cockroaches and many others would win over humans every time.
While humans have bodies somewhat similar to mammalsâ€â€they’re not just animals
And that's taxonomy. Anatomical and physiological similarities.
All they need to do is get out of their laboratories and see reality. Only then will the differences between animals and humans be obvious to them.
Scientists are the ones who study animals and humans, not you. You're the one who needs to see reality, there is nothing that separates us from other animals. Intelligence doesn't count btw. One doesn't say a kid with down syndrome isn't a human anymore because he's mentally challanged.

Why AREN'T we animals then? give me scientific reasons.[/quote:2eb2b]

Plants and humans have similarites too. Does that make us plants? :o Again, the degree that some people will go to deny God borders on the irrational. :o

Humans ARE animals. This is an incontrovertible fact, it is by definition.

Humans ARE NOT JUST animals. This is a spiritual belief that I as a Christian know is true but that some atheists might disagree with.

My belief that humans ARE NOT JUST animals does not in any way change the fact that humans ARE animals. Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

LOL, are you sure about that? Take a look around the world we live in; we may be intellingent, but we're not very smart sometimes. :o

cubedbee said:

Humans ARE NOT JUST animals. This is a spiritual belief that I as a Christian know is true but that some atheists might disagree with.

My belief that humans ARE NOT JUST animals does not in any way change the fact that humans ARE animals. Why is this so hard for some people to understand?
You are using a human definition for animal. God's definition for man is so much higher than man's understanding. No where does the Bible say that man is an animal, but it does say that Adam named all of the animals.

LOL, are you sure about that? Take a look around the world we live in; we may be intellingent, but we're not very smart sometimes.
Well, as a species we are pretty smart (aka intelligent). I didn't say wise though.
And just because you're human doesn't mean you're smarter than anything else. I've known people as dumb as a rock, and I don't mean that they were mentally challanged.
No where does the Bible say that man is an animal, but it does say that Adam named all of the animals.
The bible doesn't mention fungi, protists, archae, or bacteria. Does that mean that they don't exist?
Does the bible have to specifically say something for it to be true?
It never says we AREN'T animals does it?

Oran_Taran said:
It shows that we are a special creation, created after and distinct from all other animals.

Solo said:
cubedbee said:

You are using a human definition for animal.
That's the only definition there is. God didn't give us a divine language, we invented our own, and we define what words mean.

God's definition for man is so much higher than man's understanding.
You obviously don't know the definition of the word 'definition', because you're misusing it.

No where does the Bible say that man is an animal, but it does say that Adam named all of the animals.
And nowhere in the Bible does it say that man isn't an animal, the Bible is neither a dictionary nor an Enclopedia, and this point has absolutely no relevance to the question of whether or not man is an animal.

Free said:
Oran_Taran said:
It shows that we are a special creation, created after and distinct from all other animals.
Correct. But we're still animals. We're special and distinct from other animals, but we're animals. Just like Jesus is special and distinct from other men, but still a man. The definition of animal has nothing whatsoever to do with specialness or distinctness, and everything to do with the fact that we are multi-cellular non-photosynthesizing mobile organisms.

cubedbee said:
Free said:
Oran_Taran said:
Correct. But we're still animals. We're special and distinct from other animals, but we're animals. Just like Jesus is special and distinct from other men, but still a man. The definition of animal has nothing whatsoever to do with specialness or distinctness, and everything to do with the fact that we are multi-cellular non-photosynthesizing mobile organisms.

The biggest difference between humans and animals is that humans are capable of understanding spirituality and appreciating our lives on earth. But I would agree that those who do not have God's Spirit inside them are no better than animals. ;-)

was my post deleted? or was it one of the many technology flukes that happen here every day? I don't see why it would have been deleted... it went something like this:
The biggest difference between humans and animals is that humans are capable of understanding spirituality and appreciating our lives on earth
How do you know we are the only ones?
about appreciating our lives on earth, every single organism wants to live. They want to survive. It is HUMANS who are the ones that don't appreciate our lives on earth a lot of times. (was the following why my post was deleted? even if you don't like what I say, that's no reason to delete my post... there are many religions, not just christianity. Even if you believe christianity is right, there are many other religions in which this is true) You just have to look at RELIGIONS to see that. People DON'T appreciate our lives on earth, they want to live in a better place somewhere else.
And how do you know other animals don't understand spirituality? first off, I don't understand spirituality, but if you mean mourning for the dead and thinking what happens to them, elephants have been proven to mourn over the bones of their dead, and who knows what they're thinking? Obviously they recognize that those white things in the ground were once one of them, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were thinking about what goes on after they die.

I didn't delete any of your posts, Oran_Taran.

But I will say that the Bible clearly indicates that there is a difference between humans and animals.

We are the focus of God's attention.

was my post deleted? or was it one of the many technology flukes that happen here every day? I don't see why it would have been deleted... it went something like this:

I too am missing a post on this thread.. Dang forum errors :evil:

cubedbee said:
Free said:
Oran_Taran said:
If you want to apply a general scientific statement that we are animals for such and such a reason, then sure, I suppose I wouldn't disagree. We are creatures, created like all other creatures. However, we are not animals in the sense that we directly descended and evolved from other creatures.

Oran_Taran said:
The biggest difference between humans and animals is that humans are capable of understanding spirituality and appreciating our lives on earth
How do you know we are the only ones?
about appreciating our lives on earth, every single organism wants to live. They want to survive. It is HUMANS who are the ones that don't appreciate our lives on earth a lot of times. (was the following why my post was deleted? even if you don't like what I say, that's no reason to delete my post... there are many religions, not just christianity. Even if you believe christianity is right, there are many other religions in which this is true) You just have to look at RELIGIONS to see that. People DON'T appreciate our lives on earth, they want to live in a better place somewhere else.
And how do you know other animals don't understand spirituality? first off, I don't understand spirituality, but if you mean mourning for the dead and thinking what happens to them, elephants have been proven to mourn over the bones of their dead, and who knows what they're thinking? Obviously they recognize that those white things in the ground were once one of them, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were thinking about what goes on after they die.

The only humans who don't aprpeciate their lives on earth are those who say our lives were not a miraculous creation but only a composition of organisms, chemicals, molecules, etc. But since we have the capacity to appreciate our lives on this earth, unlike animals, we can also commit suidice if our lives are too miserable unlike animals who don't have the capactiy to do more than eat, sleep, and copulate. Without God in our lives, humans only live to gratify the desires of the flesh, just like animals.

Sorry, but animals can't talk, understand language, speak to humans, or give a dissertation on God. Since atheists don't even understand God, then how would animals be able to ? :o

firstly heidi, your remarks that poke that atheists are less of a human are in clear violation of the TOS. that would be like me saying christians are like lemmings, because they will follow anyone anywhere.

Without God in our lives, humans only live to gratify the desires of the flesh, just like animals.
I do not have god, I eat, I sleep, I have fun, I think, I learn, I laugh, I dance, I have relationships, etc.. so, now, either Animals can do that to, or you need to retract that statement.

btw, Ever seen a chimp use sign language. Its pretty funny, and pretty interesting how intelligent they are. Ever seen a bird think? coming up with BRILLIANT ideas, such as the birds in the UK that will take nuts, and place them in the road, for cars to run over (however, they only enter the road when the cross walk sign is the one color) Or 6000 years ago, when god created that bird, he told it that in 5989 years, he would be able to use that function that god granted him?

Back