Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Annihilation: a welcome prospect?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
But the innate sense I believe we have of an afterlife creates a common (largely) belief in it, whereas imagination is only a tool and creates arbitrary views

But, again, how do you know imagination is not responsible for the whole thing? Your conclusion is your premise. For example - I think we can assume dogs and cats don't sit around wondering if they'll live forever. Now what would be the simplest explanation of why this is? Because God hasn't "placed eternity in their hearts", or because they don't have the intelligence, therefore the level of imagination, to even entertain the question? I believe the simplest and most obvious reason is the latter.

Now, conversely, why would God have to give humans some EXTRA "innate sense" of an afterlife, when humans DO have the high intelligence, and therefore, the imagination and inquisitiveness which would inevidably cause them to speculate on the question? Such a innate sense would be superlative in creatures whose intelligence and creativity naturally leads to religious speculation.

BradtheImpaler said:
But the innate sense I believe we have of an afterlife creates a common (largely) belief in it, whereas imagination is only a tool and creates arbitrary views

But, again, how do you know imagination is not responsible for the whole thing? Your conclusion is your premise. For example - I think we can assume dogs and cats don't sit around wondering if they'll live forever. Now what would be the simplest explanation of why this is? Because God hasn't "placed eternity in their hearts", or because they don't have the intelligence, therefore the level of imagination, to even entertain the question? I believe the simplest and most obvious reason is the latter.

Not sure what you mean by "Your conclusion is your premise." My premise is that the imagination produces arbitrary results, whereas what is part of man's nature is universal to him. I also include in my premise that afterlife beliefs are universal in pre-scientific communities. My conclusion is that, because universal beliefs more likeley arise from what is universal than what is arbitrary, afterlife beliefs arise from man's awareness of his eternal nature. Imagination then works on this sense of eternity and produces weird and wonderful results (the evil one may also play a part here), unless constrained by God's revelation.

Now, conversely, why would God have to give humans some EXTRA "innate sense" of an afterlife, when humans DO have the high intelligence, and therefore, the imagination and inquisitiveness which would inevidably cause them to speculate on the question? Such a innate sense would be superlative in creatures whose intelligence and creativity naturally leads to religious speculation.

Intelligence and imagination are insufficient in revealing God, other than as the First Cause and the Designer, etc. God reveals himself to man also, I believe, by making him in His image. This gives man an awareness of eternity and also of God's law, His wisdom and His love. In perceiving these things, he is drawn to the Infinite, the All-wise and All-loving, as what he experiences in its imperfection, he seeks in its perfection. This is because it is in man's nature always to choose the greater good.

Such a innate sense would be superlative in creatures whose intelligence and creativity naturally leads to religious speculation.

That should be "superfluous" not superlative :oops:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back