Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Annihilationism, do the Wicked Perish?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
No, you've just proved that you haven't done the research. The comma is in the same place because you posted translations from people who believe man is alive after death. Of course they're all going to put it there. The problem is that position doesn't address the context. The thief didn't ask Jesus where they would be later that afternoon. He wanted to be remembered in the Kingdom. So, either Paradise is a reference to the Kingdom or Jesus ignored his question.

Another problem with your position is that Jesus was in the tomb for three days. So, He couldn't be in Paradise that day.
Incorrect. God the Son never ceased to be in heaven/paradise even while incarnate as a man on earth:

"No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven (Jn. 3:13 NKJ)

16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. (Col. 1:16-17 NKJ)

So the thief was with Christ in paradise that very day immediately after he died.

Christ's human soul went into sheol/hades and quickened by the Holy Spirit went and preached to the spirits in prison, which is in a section of sheol/hades. Its where the spirits of the "men of renown" (Gen. 6:4) offspring of angels were imprisoned because they didn't repent when Noah told them God would forgive their hybrid angel human nature--- Lev. 19:19 notwithstanding.

Your chronology rearranges the verses, which is unlawful to do. You have 1Pet. 3:22 occurring before 1 Pet. 3:18.

Christ doesn't go to heaven until AFTER He preached to the spirits in prison, after His human soul was quickened in the Holy Spirit in Hades:

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him. (1 Pet. 3:18-22 KJV)

Incorrect. God the Son never ceased to be in heaven/paradise even while incarnate as a man on earth:

"No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven (Jn. 3:13 NKJ)

16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.

17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. (Col. 1:16-17 NKJ)

So the thief was with Christ in paradise that very day immediately after he died.

Christ's human soul went into sheol/hades and quickened by the Holy Spirit went and preached to the spirits in prison, which is in a section of sheol/hades. Its where the spirits of the "men of renown" (Gen. 6:4) offspring of angels were imprisoned because they didn't repent when Noah told them God would forgive their hybrid angel human nature--- Lev. 19:19 notwithstanding.

Your chronology rearranges the verses, which is unlawful to do. You have 1Pet. 3:22 occurring before 1 Pet. 3:18.

Christ doesn't go to heaven until AFTER He preached to the spirits in prison, after His human soul was quickened in the Holy Spirit in Hades:

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him. (1 Pet. 3:18-22 KJV)
This is so confused I don't even know where to start. Please, stop engaging and just read along for a while

This is so confused I don't even know where to start. Please, stop engaging and just read along for a while
If you started with the scriptures I cited instead of unhistorical theories of men, the confusion would vanish.

The theory Jesus is a finite creature is impossible, that is why you are confused.

The first text shows Christ was in two places at once, on earth speaking and in heaven, at the same time:

This scripture shows the heaven and heaven of heavens are contained within the infinite Jesus Christ, God the Son. So Jesus is omnipresent, everywhere...infinite:

Therefore, the thief was in paradise in heaven that very day with Jesus God the Son, even while Jesus' human soul was in sheol/Hades preaching to the spirits in prison.

Not confusing at all if you believe the scriptures:

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim. 3:16-17 NKJ)

Last edited:
He probably means that when Jesus breathed his last on the cross, his Spirit ascended to heaven, specifically third heaven of paradise - "Father, into your hand I commit my spirit!" Meanwhile, his "human soul" descended to Hades/Sheol to preach to the imprisoned spirits. This is really a conundrum to me as well as it is to you.

If you started with the scriptures I cited instead of unhistorical theories of men, the confusion would vanish.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim. 3:16-17 NKJ)
Are you familiar with the Dunning Kruger Effect?

He probably means that when Jesus breathed his last on the cross, his Spirit ascended to heaven, specifically third heaven of paradise - "Father, into your hand I commit my spirit!" Meanwhile, his "human soul" descended to Hades/Sheol to preach to the imprisoned spirits. This is really a conundrum to me as well as it is to you.
The problem is that he has his own definitions for all of these things rather than using the Biblical definitions.

The problem is that he has his own definitions for all of these things rather than using the Biblical definitions.
Well you can't blame him, there're conflicting messages regarding where Jesus went in those three days. On one hand he went to Hades, on the other he went to "paradise", and the bible doesn't contradict itself, you must reconcile these two, but how? I've had a debate with him on this, my thought is that "paradise" is a side of Hades for the righteous, the sheep in the goats and sheep judgement; he insists that "paradise" is the third heaven, and Jesus is split in two.

Are you familiar with the Dunning Kruger Effect?
No one should discuss these matters without first learning what the major ideas are, for example, hypostatic union, Jesus two natures. That bible truth clearly and precisely explains how the Son of God can be in heaven/paradise and preaching in sheol/hades at the same time.

But both you and Carrywhatever are confused by my explanation.

Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but now you say,`We see.' Therefore your sin remains.(Jn. 9:41 NKJ)

Last edited:
No one should discuss these matters without first learning what the major ideas are, for example, hypostatic union, Jesus two natures. That bible truth clearly and precisely explains how the Son of God can be in heaven/paradise and preaching in sheol/hades at the same time.

But both you and Carrywhatever are confused by my explanation.

Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but now you say,`We see.' Therefore your sin remains.(Jn. 9:41 NKJ)
The reason it's confusing is because many of your statement contradict Scripture. However, you won't listen to anything anyone says. Has it ever occurred to you that you could be wrong? you're so intent on proving everyone wrong.

Here you speak of Hypostatic Union as a Biblical truth. It's not. I can prove that it's not, but what's the point? You won't listen anyway.

The reason it's confusing is because many of your statement contradict Scripture. However, you won't listen to anything anyone says. Has it ever occurred to you that you could be wrong? you're so intent on proving everyone wrong.

Here you speak of Hypostatic Union as a Biblical truth. It's not. I can prove that it's not, but what's the point? You won't listen anyway.
This from someone who believes "resurrection of Christ" = "recreation as a life giving spirit" whose physical body "passed away in gases", "dissolved" as it were.

Hypostatic Union is the only way to reconcile texts that confuse you, how Jesus and the Thief were both in paradise in heaven that day they died, yet Christ's human soul was quickened by the Holy Spirit and in that sphere of Holy Spirit "life" Jesus went and preached to the spirits in prison.

You don't reconcile these texts, you contradict both with unscriptural theories about soul and death. And you deny the resurrection, claiming Christ became a "life giving spirit" and whose physical body was dissolved into gases. That isn't "resurrection". Its something else not taught in scripture.

You look at Christ's empty tomb, and instead of proclaiming "He is risen" you say "His body dissolved!"

!!!!

Last edited:
But you believe we have a spirit that is ours to keep that God has given to us , correct ? That is what I believe .

I think man is flesh with a spirit and consciousness(soul) . Your thoughts on this ?
No, I don't believe that. I believe man is flesh. Gen 2:7 says, God created man from the dust of the earth. That is what I believe a man is. The elements of the earth. Then It says that God breathed into the man the breath or spirit of life. The breath or spirit of life is something of God Himself. It came out of God. It's not man. It's what animates man. This is the only breath or spirit I see in man. Believers receiving the Holy Spirit is something else. So, I believe that man is a flesh being that is animated by the breath of God. Gen 2:7 says when these two combined the man became a living soul. So, according to this passage a living soul consist of the man of dust (elements) and the breath of God. When these two things separate the soul ceases to exist. The breath returns to God and the man to the dust. There is nothing that lives on after death and the man remains dead until the Resurrection when God raises him from the dead.

Creation of man
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Ge 2:7.
Death of man

5 Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets: 6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. 7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. Ec 12:4–7.

The Greek and Hebrew words that a tranlated spirit literally mean wind adn by extention breath. This passage can read, and the breath shall return to God who gave it. When it says the spirit shall return to God, it's talking about the breath of life that God puts in all living beings.

Animation
8 But there is a spirit in man, And the breath of the Almighty gives him understanding. (Job 32:8 NKJ)

The word spirit is the Hebrew word ruach and the word breath is the Hebrew neshamah. We can read this as there is a breath in man and the breath of the Almighty gives him understanding. It's God's breath (that we saw in Gen 2:7) that animates and gives man the ability to understand.

This from someone who believes "resurrection of Christ" = "recreation as a life giving spirit" whose physical body "passed away in gases", "dissolved" as it were.

Hypostatic Union is the only way to reconcile texts that confuse you, how Jesus and the Thief were both in paradise in heaven that day they died, yet Christ's human soul was quickened by the Holy Spirit and in that sphere of Holy Spirit "life" Jesus went and preached to the spirits in prison.

You don't reconcile these texts, you contradict both with unscriptural theories about soul and death. And you deny the resurrection, claiming Christ became a "life giving spirit" and whose physical body was dissolved into gases. That isn't "resurrection". Its something else not taught in scripture.

You look at Christ's empty tomb, and instead of proclaiming "He is risen" you say "His body dissolved!"

!!!!
You made my point. You didn't even ask how can I prove it's wrong. Instead you went to a logical fallacy, the Ad Hominem. Just because Hypostatic Union is the only way "you" can reconcile the passages, doesn't mean it's the only way to reconcile them. It simply means that it's the only way you see it. But, again, in stead of opening a conversation and seeing if maybe there is something out there that you haven't considered or heard of you launched into an attack on your opponent. The Ad Hominem is usually one of the first signs that a person has lost an argument. If one has a valid argument they don't have to use fallacies to distract from the opponents argument.

You made my point. You didn't even ask how can I prove it's wrong. Instead you went to a logical fallacy, the Ad Hominem. Just because Hypostatic Union is the only way "you" can reconcile the passages, doesn't mean it's the only way to reconcile them. It simply means that it's the only way you see it. But, again, in stead of opening a conversation and seeing if maybe there is something out there that you haven't considered or heard of you launched into an attack on your opponent. The Ad Hominem is usually one of the first signs that a person has lost an argument. If one has a valid argument they don't have to use fallacies to distract from the opponents argument.
You don't reconcile them, you declare then "untrue". That's not adhominem as I will document.

Christ told the thief "Today you will be with me in Paradise".

Even if we put the comma where you want, it still a promise to the thief he would be in paradise when he died.

You claim that didn't happen. Not only didn't the Thief go to paradise upon death, he ceased to exist completely!!! For thousands of years!

That is NOT in the verse.

Then you read Christ was put to death in the flesh, quickened by the Holy Spirit and in that "state" He went and preached to the spirits in prison.

But you declare that false also. You claim Christ ceased to exist when he died physically. Then on the third day Jehovah recreated Jesus from memory, as a spirit....dissolving his physical body into gases....

Neither is THAT in the text.

You don't believe the Scripture, you contradict it.

And you insinuate others overestimate their ability to discuss scripture, when its clear you completely reject it.

Anyone who can look at Christ's empty tomb and conclude "His body dissolved into gases", clearly lacks any ability to reason soundly from "effect" to "probable cause".

Its as if we both were on the 10th floor, and outside the window we saw a man falling to his death, and you proclaim:

"Look, he is flying to a new location"

!!!!

Christ is risen! That is why the tomb was empty!!!!

Well you can't blame him, there're conflicting messages regarding where Jesus went in those three days. On one hand he went to Hades, on the other he went to "paradise", and the bible doesn't contradict itself, you must reconcile these two, but how? I've had a debate with him on this, my thought is that "paradise" is a side of Hades for the righteous, the sheep in the goats and sheep judgement; he insists that "paradise" is the third heaven, and Jesus is split in two.
Actually, the messages aren't conflicting. It's the presuppositions that we bring to the text. When we come to Scripture and see what appears to be conflicting messages. It means "we" have something wrong in our understanding. We do have to reconcile the passages. How do we do that? The way it's most often done is to come up with an idea to try to make the two passages fit together. Often, if not most of the time, we come up with some nonsensical conclusion. Take the subject at hand. Jesus went to hades, He told the thief, today you will be with me in Paradise. We're also told that Jesus was in the tomb for three days. How have Christians reconciled this? Well, they take the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man, interpret it literally, conflate the incident with the thief and conclude that Paradies is Abraham's bosom and/or in hades. Or, they do like Alfred and conclude that Jesus can be in two places at once.

But, does anyone ever consider the ramifications of these conclusions. If Lazarus and the Rich Man is telling us what happens to people after death we have to draw a few conclusions. One, people claim that the righteous go to Abraham's bosom and the wicked go to the place of torment. There's a problem here. Jesus never said either man was righteous or wicked. Ok, so right off the bat there is an unwarranted assumption. This parable is a pillar in the Christian doctrine of Eternal conscious Torment and yet it says nothing about the righteous or the wicked. So, one of the major pillars of the doctrine doesn't even exist. The word Paradise is from the Greek Paradeisos. It means a garden. That begs the question, how does a garden grow in a subterranean place without the sun? We could go on and on.

But, I want to stick to the topic. How do we reconcile these passages. Well, what we often leave unconsidered is, maybe, just maybe, we can't reconcile the passages because our beliefs are wrong. For some reason we don't seem to consider that option. Yet, if we see passages of Scripture that don't seem to align with one another it's almost certain that it is our understanding or beliefs that are causing the perceived discrepancy.

So, for the sake of argument follow along with me. You may not agree, but, see it the passages don't fit together nicely. Let's suppose that when a man dies, he is dead. There is no part of Him that lives on after death. Now, lets approach those same passages. Lazarus and the Rich Man is a parable because the dead are dead. They can't carry on a conversation. They can't feel pain. They can't suffer. They're dead. Therefore the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man is a story about something other than life after death. We know that the incident with the thief could not mean that they were somewhere else that day since they were dead. If they were dead how could they be in Paradise that day? We have to consider two things, Is the translation correct and what is Paradise. Paradise means garden. Could Jesus have meant that they would be buried in a garden that day. It's possible. I don't think we can prove that, but it's possible. Let's look at the translation.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. Lk 23:43.

The Greek texts were all in capital letters and the letters were all run together. They didn't divide the words into groups of letters like we do. They also didn't use punctuation. So those commas you see in Luke 23:43 are solely the opinion of the translator. Now, if the translator believes that the dead live on where is he likely to put the comma? It would be before the word today, which is where you see it in the above verse. But again, that's just where the translator, "thinks" it should go. It's his opinion. We could just as validly move the come and put after the word today.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee To day, shalt thou be with me in paradise. Lk 23:43.

Simply by moving the comma from before the word today to after it we completely change the time frame of them being in Paradise. Instead of it being that day, it could be at any time in the future. Either rendering is grammatically correct. So, this eliminates the problem that Jesus was in Paradise and hades at the same time. The fact that either rendering is grammatically correct tells us that neither side can be argued adamantly from this passage. One can't argue legitimately from this passage that Jesus and the thief were alive later that day because the passage can be understood differently. This also solves the problem of Paradise having to be in hades. If Jesus and the thief were going to be in Paradise in the future then Paradise could be anywhere.

So, that solves a couple of our problems. What about Paradise. What is it and where is it. Let's consider what the thief requested.

42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. Lk 23:42.

Ok, so the thief's request was to be remembered in the Kingdom. He wasn't asking where he'd be later that afternoon. He wanted to know if he'd be in Christ's Kingdom. So, we would expect Jesus to address his request, and not ignore it and tell him something about later that day. Let's look at Jesus' answer. He said that the thief would be with Him in Paradise. One has to wonder why the translators transliterated rather than translated the word Paradeisos as Paradise instead of garden. All through the Scriptures it's translated garden except in a few passages where garden doesn't fit with the translators beliefs. Paradise means garden. In the Septuagint in Genesis, we are told that God planted a Paradise and called it Eden. So right in the very beginning we have a Paradies called Eden. The thief wanted to be in Christ's kingdom. Jesus answered and said, you will be with me in Paradise, the garden. That begs the question, how would the thief perceive Jesus' words? Would Paradise to a Jew be understood as a subterranean place of supposed bliss? No. The Jews were expecting a kingdom on earth. They were expecting what Paul describes in Romans 8.

17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. 18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. 20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, 21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. 23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. 24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? 25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. Ro 8:17–25.

It's the restoration of the creation. Creation restored. The Paradise of Eden will be restored. Remember what Adam did? Scripture says he walked with God in the garden. That was Christ who walked with Adam. Consider Jesus' words to the churches.

6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. 7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. Re 2:6–7.

Jesus promised the believer that He would give to eat of the Tree of Life, which is where? In the Paradise of God. The Tree of Life was in the Paradise, garden of Eden. The Paradise or garden of Eden will be in Christ's kingdom in the restored creation. This is where Jesus told the thief he would be.

So, to get back to the question of how do we reconcile the passages? The quick answer is change our beliefs, not to create outlandish scenarios that lead to absurd conclusions. Simply by changing that one belief, that when a man is dead, he is dead, and not alive in some other form, we have reconciles all of the passages nicely. It all fits with Scripture. We don't have to make claims that we cannot prove. We don't have to tell people, well, we can't understand it, we just have to believe it, and all of the other things people try say to get people to accept things that don't make sense.

That one simple change changes a lot. It tells us that the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man is not literal. It tells us that the thief couldn't have been alive somewhere later that day. It tells us that Paradise isn't a place in hades. It tells us that when Scripture says that Jesus was in the tomb for three days, He was in the tomb for three days. All of the issues are resolved with this one simple change in our beliefs.

You don't reconcile them, you declare then "untrue". That's not adhominem as I will document.

Christ told the thief "Today you will be with me in Paradise".

Even if we put the comma where you want, it still a promise to the thief he would be in paradise when he died.

You claim that didn't happen. Not only didn't the Thief go to paradise upon death, he ceased to exist completely!!! For thousands of years!

That is NOT in the verse.

Then you read Christ was put to death in the flesh, quickened by the Holy Spirit and in that "state" He went and preached to the spirits in prison.

But you declare that false also. You claim Christ ceased to exist when he died physically. Then on the third day Jehovah recreated Jesus from memory, as a spirit....dissolving his physical body into gases....

Neither is THAT in the text.

You don't believe the Scripture, you contradict it.

And you insinuate others overestimate their ability to discuss scripture, when its clear you completely reject it.

Anyone who can look at Christ's empty tomb and conclude "His body dissolved into gases", clearly lacks any ability to reason soundly from "effect" to "probable cause".

Its as if we both were on the 10th floor, and outside the window we saw a man falling to his death, and you proclaim:

"Look, he is flying to a new location"

!!!!

Christ is risen! That is why the tomb was empty!!!!
You continue to make my point. It's clear from this that you've not understood what I've been saying. You' keep telling us we're wrong and yet here we are 22 pages in and after numerous requests you have still not established your premise.

Let's see who is contradicting Scripture. Your claim is that man can live on after death. The apostle Paul tells us that the Father alone has immortality

13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession; 14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: 15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; 16 Who only hath immortality, adwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be dhonour and power everlasting. Amen. 1 Ti 6:13–16.

Paul tells us that the "ONLY" one that has immortality is the one that no man has seen nor can see. Every one who is alive can see man and men and women etc. Therefore man does not have immortality. Thus man cannot live when he is dead. The only hope for man is resurrection. As Paul said, If there is no Resurrection, those who have died in Christ have perished.

Thus your premise, that man can live apart from the body is false. So, every doctrine based on that premise is false. So, the thief could not have been alive later that afternoon.

You continue to make my point. It's clear from this that you've not understood what I've been saying. You' keep telling us we're wrong and yet here we are 22 pages in and after numerous requests you have still not established your premise.

Let's see who is contradicting Scripture. Your claim is that man can live on after death. The apostle Paul tells us that the Father alone has immortality

13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession; 14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: 15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; 16 Who only hath immortality, adwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be dhonour and power everlasting. Amen. 1 Ti 6:13–16.

Paul tells us that the "ONLY" one that has immortality is the one that no man has seen nor can see. Every one who is alive can see man and men and women etc. Therefore man does not have immortality. Thus man cannot live when he is dead. The only hope for man is resurrection. As Paul said, If there is no Resurrection, those who have died in Christ have perished.

Thus your premise, that man can live apart from the body is false. So, every doctrine based on that premise is false. So, the thief could not have been alive later that afternoon.
I agree God alone has immortality. So the souls who survive physical death are not immortal, they get weaker and weaker and become "shades", eventually they pass into non-existence. That is why there is a resurrection of the wicked, to "house" their soul in a resurrection body so the imprisoned soul within "persists" as long as God wants, according to their deeds. Then, after their "part, destiny, (MEROS)" is accomplished, the body becomes ashes and the soul imprisoned within ceases to exist. UNLESS they are guilty of eternal sins, then the worm dies not....

42 "But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.
43 "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched--
44 "where`Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.'
45 "And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched--
46 "where`Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.'
47 "And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire--
48 "where`Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.' (Mk. 9:42-48 NKJ)

PS: Angels and Cherubim (like Satan) have physical bodies. Both the Beast and False Prophet were cast into gehenna lake of fire body and soul, as was Satan:

Then the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who worked signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. These two were cast alive into the lake of fire burning with brimstone. (Rev. 19:20 NKJ)

10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. (Rev. 20:10 NKJ)

This implies their bodies were changed "in a twinkling of an eye" into abominable reeking of corruption resurrection "corpses" whose worm will not die out, just as Daniel foretold:

And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, Some to everlasting life, Some to shame and everlasting contempt. (Dan. 12:2 NKJ)

Gehenna/Lake of Fire is a place of physical pain communicated to the imprisoned "soul" within it.

Last edited:
I agree God alone has immortality. So the souls who survive physical death are not immortal, they get weaker and weaker and become "shades", eventually they pass into non-existence. That is why there is a resurrection of the wicked, to "house" their soul in a resurrection body so the imprisoned soul within "persists" as long as God wants, according to their deeds. Then, after their "part, destiny, (MEROS)" is accomplished, the body becomes ashes and the soul imprisoned within ceases to exist. UNLESS they are guilty of eternal sins, then the worm dies not....

10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. (Rev. 20:10 NKJ)

42 "But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.
43 "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched--
44 "where`Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.'
45 "And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched--
46 "where`Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.'
47 "And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire--
48 "where`Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.' (Mk. 9:42-48 NKJ)
So, if they're guilty of eternal sins, they are immortal. How is that when God alone is immortal?

How does the soul live on if it's not immortal?

So, if they're guilty of eternal sins, they are immortal. How is that when God alone is immortal?

How does the soul live on if it's not immortal?
There you go again, stumped by "effect" unable to reason correctly to "cause". That is what the resurrection body of the wicked does, keeps the "soul/shade" suffering (according to deeds), according to their destiny God determined:

"But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part (3313 μέρος) in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
(Rev. 21:8 NKJ)

3313 μέρος meros
Meaning: 1) a part 1a) a part due or assigned to one 1b) lot, destiny -Strong's

Eternal sins merit eternal torment. Less than eternal sins merits less. Its according to deeds.

Last edited:
There you go again, stumped by "effect" unable to reason correctly to "cause". That is what the resurrection body of the wicked does, keeps the "soul/shade" suffering (according to deeds), according to their destiny God determined:

"But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part (3313 μέρος) in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
(Rev. 21:8 NKJ)

3313 μέρος meros
Meaning: 1) a part 1a) a part due or assigned to one 1b) lot, destiny -Strong's

Eternal sins merit eternal torment. Less than eternal sins merits less. Its according to deeds.
You didn't answer the question. If God alone has immortality, how can a person who commits eternal sin suffer for eternity? Man doesn't have immortality. To suffer eternally man must somehow obtain immortality. How does that happen?

Back