Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Another works thread

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

lovely

I didn't want to hy-jack JayT's thread, and I actually agree with His opening post. I just wanted to see how everyone would answer a few questions.

Why are we called to good works? How do they relate to God's everlasting covenant, the redemption of man, and the protection and sanctification of believers? How do they (good works, obedience) relate to the Gospel, the Truth, and God's mysteries in terms of the lost, the individual believer, and the church as a whole? It may be an obvious set of questions, but I am just curious to see the answers. The Lord bless all of you.

From James Fishers Catechism

Q. 23. Is not God glorified by the good works of believers?
A. Yes; “herein,†says Christ, “is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit,†John 15:8.

Q. 61. If good works have no influence upon our justification, of what use are they to the justified?
A. Though they cannot justify us before God, yet they are good “evidences†of our justification, being the fruits of a true and lively faith, James 2:18:they “adorn the profession of the gospel, Titus 2:11, 12; stop the mouths of adversaries, 1 Pet. 2:15; and glorify God, John 15:8.â€Â

Q. 44. Whence arises the necessity of holiness, or sanctification?
A. From the holy nature and will of God: for “it is written, Be ye holy, for I am holy,†1 Pet. 1:16; and “this is the will of God, even our sanctification,†1 Thess. 4:3; and from the death of Christ, “who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify to himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works,†Titus 2:14.

Q. 9. Why does God require of us the diligent use of all the outward means whereby Christ communicates to us the benefits of redemption?
A. Because a neglect or contempt of the means of divine appointment, for
communicating the benefits of redemption, is, in the sight of God, the same thing as a neglect or contempt of these inestimable benefits themselves, Luke 10:16  “He that despiseth you, despiseth me; and he that despiseth me, despiseth him that sent me.â€Â

Q. 10. Can our believing, repenting, and diligent use of means, as they are acts of ours, be the procuring cause of our escaping wrath, or found our title to life and salvation?
A. No; for, “by the deeds of the law, there shall no flesh be justified in his sight,†Rom. 3:20. Our security from wrath and title to heaven, are founded on the imputation of the surety righteousness alone, Isaiah 45:25.

Q. 11. What would be the consequence of making our faith, repentance, and good works, the procuring cause of our escaping the wrath and curse of God due to us for sin?
A. This would be setting aside the satisfaction of Christ, and making a saviour of our duties, than which nothing could nail us more effectually down under the curse, Gal. 3:10  “As many as are of the works of the law, are under the curse.â€Â

Q. 12. Have unbelieving and impenitent sinners any warrant to conclude, that they have escaped the wrath and curse of God, due to them for sin?
A. No, surely; for “he that believeth not, is condemned already,†John 3:18; and our Lord says, “Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish,†Luke 13:3.

Q. 13. Is our escaping the wrath and curse of God suspended on the condition of our faith, repentance, and diligent use of the outward means?
A. No; for, if any promised blessing were suspended upon the condition of our personal obedience, it would be the very form of the covenant of works, Rom. 10:5 “Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, that the man which doththese things, shall live by them.â€Â

Q. 14. When do carnal and unregenerate men turn the dispensation of the
covenant of grace into the form of the covenant of works?
A. When they separate the duties of faith, repentance, and the diligent use of the means, from the promises of the Covenant, and hope to make themselves accepted with God by their personal performance of these duties, Rom. 10:3.

Hold on ...putting it together. I just joined... 8-)

Hi Lovely
I will bite :) I won't give you the politically correct answers. I will simply answer them.

lovely said:
I didn't want to hy-jack JayT's thread, and I actually agree with His opening post. I just wanted to see how everyone would answer a few questions.

Why are we called to good works?
Well, I don't think I have ever considered being called to do good works or things. I mean when people need help with their computers at church or anyplace I am at, I am always ready and willing to help. If people need a truck, mine is always available. If people need help with their car I am there. If people need help with their yard, don't call me....

How do they relate to God's everlasting covenant, the redemption of man, and the protection and sanctification of believers?
Who is the They?

How do they (good works, obedience) relate to the Gospel, the Truth, and God's mysteries in terms of the lost, the individual believer, and the church as a whole?
The bible says you will know them by their fruit. The problem here is that I have seen NON believers doing good works and even more so than Christians. This is sad, but true. I know people who are pretty good and nice and are always ready to help, but they are not christians.

It may be an obvious set of questions, but I am just curious to see the answers. The Lord bless all of you.

Well, Lovely
My answers are not fancy I know, but this is what came to mind.
I believe that works come in differant forms.
For me. I am pretty good at car stuff, computers, and I have a truck that I can help with.

Ask me for help with your yard and I will say AAHHHH NO. I am not a yard pperson.

For others it may be yard work or gardening.

Still others like the very elderly in my church it could be a call to prayer.
I believe that the works of a Christian also go hand in hand with the Gifts that God has blessed his children with.
So this is mearly my opinion..

I wrote this in haste today. I hope it makes sense.

Lovely said:

Great Question. One that I could write a page or two on and actually enjoy writing it! Let me sum it up by saying this. First, we are a small part of a bigger picture. In Leviticus 23, we see a law set forth that the owner of a field is to leave the corners of the fields un-harvested. In Deuteronomy, this law is echoed with the addition of the vineyard. In complying with the law, God uses man to provide for the poor and the needy. In Israel, it was known and reinforced that YHWH was the provider of all things and that it was YHWH’s blessing that allowed Israel to become a nation. Israel did not have to toil as they did in Egypt for their food or land, but rather, YHWH provided a land that flowed literally with milk and honey. In other words, YHWH provided the blessings.
But these blessings were meant to used to glorify God through the appreciation of these gifts by sharing what has been given to us, for those around us in need (Isaiah 58). . In this manner, we become lights for those around us as Israel was to be a light for the nations around her. When one looks at the story of Ruth, the purpose of doing “good works†becomes very apparent. What I would like to emphasis in the book of Ruth for this particular snipit is this, Boaz, would be the (I think) great grandfather of Jesse, father of David from which lines Jesus, the “Son of David†was born.

Lovely said:
How do they relate to God's everlasting covenant, the redemption of man, and the protection and sanctification of believers?
YHWH is in the business of transforming lives. He’s put his seal upon the matter you might say in a visible, tangible manner when he put his Son upon a cross. As genuine fruits of the spirit are manifested through God’s work that is being done in and through us, we are transformed more in the likeness of the community that created as.

Lovely said:
How do they (good works, obedience) relate to the Gospel, the Truth, and God's mysteries in terms of the lost, the individual believer, and the church as a whole?
God is a community. This community consists of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. As a community of believers, we reflect the image of our creator. God is love and His love saturates our lives, the love we have for our neighbor begins to magnify and we become more willing to reach to the lost in compassion, mercy, and long suffering. The truth of the Gospel is this, that God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son.

Lovely said:
It may be an obvious set of questions, but I am just curious to see the answers. The Lord bless all of you.

May the Lord continue to bless you, that you may use those blessings to be a light for the lost souls around you. That my Sister, is the gospel which as a result, produces good works.

Works are of no value to God per se. God could feed the hungry with manna or big Macs that fell from the sky. God could release the prisoners of disease or victims of corrupt governments with a wave of his little finger. Water could be pouring out of the rocks in any thirsty land. The one who made the lilies could array all the naked beggars in the finest fashions as easily as he covers the fields in coats of snow.

Works are a test of our obedience and a measure of our growth in love and mercy and faith. Works of charity teach us that it is more blessed to give than receive and forgiving our enemies helps us comprehend the quality of mercy. Everything we do out of love for God and fellowman makes us stronger against sin and helps to conform us into the image of Christ. As we do the good things that God puts before us, we are increasing in our knowledge of this God of love and eventually he makes us not just servants but we actually become the children of God. When we live our lives loving others, God dwells in us and we in him. Works of love and faith bring others to know who God is and what he is about. Obedience keeps us in his protection where the evil one cannot touch us unless by God‘s permission and we need not fear because God is in control.

Hi everyone, and welcome to the board lion.

I enjoyed reading your answers, and I did not disagree with one of them. From catechism, to yard work, to Jeff's point about such things being the gospel, all the way down to unred's unique way of describing God's provision. (Big Macs :-D ) I will take from all of them today. My answers...

I think there are probably countless little reasons due to the fact that our works touch others, and are utilized by God to spread the Gospel.

I think God also provides us with many opportunities to do good works, even in the midst of hard trials, as a test, refining, encouraging of our faith in Him...He is able to be glorified in these situations, and bless our obedience, as a testimony of His faithfulness to us.

We are called to be set apart, and Holy.

We love doing them because God's love is in us bursting at the seams!

They aid us in maturity, and sanctification...a way for God to water us unto good growth that produces fruit.

They are evidence of the Love in us, and part of what it is to be saved, and justified. By faith, Tina... Consider Noah, "Thus did Noah all that God commanded Him, thus did He." Our works, or obedience, is a vehicle God utilizes to move us forward in His plan. It is our willingness to obey Him that shows our love towards Him...to Him, to us, and to others looking on, and to the angels, and to the deceiver.

By grace, through faith, we are saved, but that faith brings us to action so that God's work may be completed in us.

Christ's example to willingly submit to the Father for the purpose of atonement, fulfilled God's everlasting covenant, and his covenant with His children for redemption. Christ is the example of what God expects (obedience, willing submission, loving works, sharer of Truth), and what God will do for us as sons, and daughters. (co-heirs)

Obedience is better than sacrifice, because it keeps us under God's protection, and walking in the Way...as Paul would describe us. It teaches us to be sensitive to our conscience so that we may love more...have abounding love that causes no one to stumble, but knows that God desires that all would come to the knowledge of the Truth. By this, He provides a way to abide in Him, and to not be deceived by, or love, the world. (It keeps us from adultery)

AND, God commands us to obey Him...that Law that HE has written on our hearts which is part of the calling of the believer, and specifically those two main laws on which the others hang that example the love abiding in us.

We will also be judged according to every deed. Even those who are atoned for will be judged according to their works, and will be rewarded accordingly...these are the treasures we are laying up in Heaven, and a testimony of our faith in God. Faith without works is dead...and leads to death.

I believe the more good works we do, the more God reveals His will, and His mysteries to us. The more Truth we learn and apply, the more Truth we are given, and the more the Spirit leads us. This is a glorious striving in the right, which activates growth in the believer, and glorifies God who desires to bless us with great liberties in the Truth of His Word. The more Truth we learn and apply, the more shackles He breaks in our lives through our ability to see our sin, and lay it down. Let me say it again, with every new Truth we learn as we grow, we are able to deny more of our self, because God reveals our sin, and His Truth to us. This is how we are able to be willing obedient, but yet free from self-righteousness...as it is God who reveals the sin, and keeps us from presumption...which is the Great Transgression according to David...and it is God who is doing the sanctifying inwardly, which affects us outwardly. A genuine regeneration by grace through faith, and unto good works, and good fruit.

Through this, the bride is being prepared. She is being adorned, washed, dressed, and waiting for her Groom to return to gather her to Him as one in covenant for eternity. She is perfected, and kept from adultery, by His abiding love in her, and His commands to keep from sin. This is exciting, and it 'is a birds eye view of how God is unfolding His plan before us.

I think obedience probably touches more than we have written here. I think it is good to talk about our call to good works because of all the above, and then some. I am not speaking of a self-righteous earning, but of a zealous striving through faith, and by a sheer outpouring of the love in us. It is our love before Him in submission, and our light before men in His Truth, and evidence of the love in us that overflows to those here through our good works.

The Lord bless all of you. (Sorry if my thoughts are juggled...rushed a bit today.)

Back