Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Any Apple lovers here?

D

DocStrokes

I'm wondering if anyone else here likes Apple computers. I just recently bought a MacBook and I love it. I have always been a big Apple fan and I'm wondering who else is!?

Sweetness you can't beat them in terms of reliability and no worries about viruses etc. I don't know why more people don't buy them these days.

I'm thinking about getting myself one of those mac mini's. Hey, does anyone know if photoshop has converted to universal yet?

DocStrokes said:
Sweetness you can't beat them in terms of reliability and no worries about viruses etc. I don't know why more people don't buy them these days.

Because they're in the toilet when it comes to bang for the buck? Linux gives ther same reliability and no worries about viruses, etc., for a lot less money. And, who are you kidding? Windows PCs are as reliable as macs and viruses are practically a non-issue.

I have an old Special Edition iMac, with 10.3 and a 1.2 GHZ processor :P

I absolutely love it, and i am upgrading to 10.5 when it comes out!

I'm on my dad's Mac right now, though only because my PC is broken. I love Apple though, I'd replace my steel death trap of a PC if I had the money.

Kickin it semi-old school with the iMac. That's awesome and yes I'm so glad to have gotten rid of having to use our families old PC. Once you go Mac you never go back!

Hey, I'm a huge fan of apple! I love how the Mac has stood out from the PC! It's great for Multimedia stuff. I cant get enough of my G5!! People fear Apple though, they fear the unknown, but i think if they would give it a chance it would def. change their perspective on things!!

Adam*

Re:

Poke said:
DocStrokes said:

Because they're in the toilet when it comes to bang for the buck? Linux gives ther same reliability and no worries about viruses, etc., for a lot less money. And, who are you kidding? Windows PCs are as reliable as macs and viruses are practically a non-issue.
I am a Linux users so I won't debate the Linux comment. I agree.

However, your Windows comment needs to be challenged. Windows is not as stable as OS/X. Viruses, malware, trojans and bots all thrive under Windows. Otherwise there would be no market for anti-virus software. A Mac user does not have to show the same degree of care with respect to opening files and emails. Windows users have to be scrupulous in their practice in an effort to stay one step ahead of those who proliferate attacks on Windows machines. Even then it is losing cause for some who do not know how their Windows machines work.

Active X and Java exploits are easy under Windows because of the way XP works. Installation of unwanted files is a problem because of XP's lack of basic security. Password protection is almost non-existent and even when it is in place users are usually logged in as administrators or with admin privileges to their user account. In addition the registry is problematic in XP. In Linux there is no central registry to contaminate. Instead registry items are filed independently in subdirectories in the root directory which requires root privileges to access.

Microsoft claims that Vista is their most secure Windows yet, but it allows users to bypass elementary security measures to replicate the XP experience. The fact is that Windows security has always been porous and any improvement is welcome. That does not make it good.

Vista is an attempt by Microsoft to implement some of the features of OS/X and Linux without admitting that their basic approach is flawed. It is bloated and resource consuming with an emphasis on eye candy. It is all smoke and mirrors. Unfortunately for Microsoft someone determined to infiltrate Vista's security can do so with relative ease.

The problem with Windows is more than skin deep. Windows users can look forward to more breaches of security and patches from Microsoft. They can look forward to shelling out more money for antivirus software and security suites, just because Microsoft did not do its homework. It costs big bucks for the OS and even more to keep it running smoothly.

Hats off to Apple for their approach. They made the switch to an OS based on FreeBSD and have never looked back. OS/X is an elegant and powerful. It is well worth the money. If Windows did not come pre-installed on most OEMs then Microsoft would be in deep trouble. Instead they can look forward to even deeper pockets despite producing deficient software.

Apple hardware comes at a premium as you have said, it is pricey. But that does not mean that it isn't worth the difference. It is more stylish and leading edge than most PCs. Many of the things that Windows users take for granted were Apple innovations.

I think that many PC users do not switch to Apple products for reasons other than cost. The chief one being compatibility with machines used at work. Others include gaming and availability of software.

I personally believe that Microsoft's foray into open source with agreements with Novell and others is the precursor of an OS based on Linux or even FreeBSD. I would not be surprised to see a Microsoft branded version of Linux in a store near you in the future. If they do switch it will be to their credit and it will give Microsoft customers something to cheer about.

Another impetus for Microsoft is recent hints from the EU that they may prohibit the bundling of the OS with new machines from OEMs. Or at the very least to give users a choice of OS at the time of purchase. This will hit Microsoft where it hurts most, in the wallet. In order to avoid this them may be impelled to change direction in the near future.

If Windows works well for you it is likely because you have more knowledge and ability than the average user and not because Microsoft has done a good job.

Blessings,
Dunamite

Old thread but mac guy here~I have a 2 y/o mac mini (intel) that I still don't see any reason to replace. It's the only mac thing I own though: keyboard is MS, mouse & speakers are Logitech, printer is HP, external drive is LaCie, and the monitor is Samsung.

Model Name: Mac mini
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

There's a 60 G harddrive that even after 2 years I've not even half filled...don't know what I would do with these 300G jobs I see out there now :-D My external is a 250G, got it cause it was a good price though it's mostly empty too.

Only wish is that I could safely get in there and max the RAM to 2 gigs~but other than that it works great. I've had exactly one crash in 2 years-from some bad software I downloaded. I booted from disc and lost nothing.

I have an old PC in the other room that my sons do some school work on..

I'm a Mac user and I love the new OS X Leopard. I can also dual boot to windows if I want to (I have set up Boot Camp for that, it's quite simple to do). Some scientific programs are windows-specific so it will be useful for me to have that without having to deal with Windows all the time.

I have to agree with the Linux users though. Linux is great.

My poor external hard drive crashed and burned, but the back-up features of OS X are excellent.

I strongly strongly dislike the new MS Office and Vista. I've used just about any other windows OS back to 3.1. I'd say I prefer XP out of all the Windows OSes.

I also agree with Dunamite.

I have had one problem with this computer. Its keyboard stopped responding. Hardware problem, had to get the keyboard replaced. Otherwise, minimal issues. I upgraded its OS to Leopard when I got its keyboard fixed. Tiger was nice, too. I just had to be a geek...

Oh..the windows OS I use is XP.

Back