Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Anyone here into talking about movies?

JoshHatesCheese

Yes, I really do hate cheese.
I’ve always loved not only watching movies but also learning about what went into making them. Everything from the writing process, filming, editing, special effects, acting, the score, ect. I used to have a podcast where I did movie reviews, but it never really gained any traction. Anyways I would love to talk movies if anyone here is interested.- Josh

I’ve always loved not only watching movies but also learning about what went into making them. Everything from the writing process, filming, editing, special effects, acting, the score, ect. I used to have a podcast where I did movie reviews, but it never really gained any traction. Anyways I would love to talk movies if anyone here is interested.- Josh
Have you ever worked on a movie set ? I was an extra for a few weeks once , learned a lot about the craft .

No I haven’t. But that sounds like it would be cool. What movie were you in?
It was a made for TV movie , " Kent State " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_(film)

I watched as the shots were set up and the lighting , I found out the AD works like a dog , lol . The director sits in his perch and the AD is running his legs off . This was back in the film camera days so every time before the cameras would roll they checking the lighting with a meter so they had the cameras adjusted just right . I had a close up in the movie but it was edited out when they decided to condense it from a two night TV movie to a one night , bummer .

It was a made for TV movie , " Kent State " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_(film)

I watched as the shots were set up and the lighting , I found out the AD works like a dog , lol . The director sits in his perch and the AD is running his legs off . This was back in the film camera days so every time before the cameras would roll they checking the lighting with a meter so they had the cameras adjusted just right . I had a close up in the movie but it was edited out when they decided to condense it from a two night TV movie to a one night , bummer .
Man that is a bummer but still very cool that you got to be a part of something like that.

Man that is a bummer but still very cool that you got to be a part of something like that.
If you ever get a chance to be an extra on a set you need to do it , enjoyed the pay and the filming knowledge I got . I walk by in the crowd on the film but some of my friends had some good screen time .

If you ever get a chance to be an extra on a set you need to do it , enjoyed the pay and the filming knowledge I got . I walk by in the crowd on the film but some of my friends had some good screen time .
Can you spot yourself in the film? I’ll keep my ears open for them.

Yeah , I was walking in crowd on a sidewalk .

Never know where they will be shooting a film , a few movies have been shot in AL but GA has a film deal of some kind going on .

Any movies shot in the area where you live over the years ?
Oh nice. I live about 30 mins south of Detroit. I haven’t heard about anything lately but a few years ago they were filming some scenes for the Batman vs Superman movie in the city.

Everything from the writing process, filming, editing, special effects, acting, the score, ect.
Editing , what do think about later releases of a Director's cut of a movie ? Give some examples of for the better or for the worse , in you opinion . Editing is a truly important process of film making .

Editing , what do think about later releases of a Director's cut of a movie ? Give some examples of for the better or for the worse , in you opinion . Editing is a truly important process of film making

I typically prefer theatrical cuts over director’s cuts. However, there are some instances when I feel that the overall product is improved by a director getting a second go around. One example that comes to mind is the 2001 director’s cut of Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Some of the changes that director Robert Wise made were small tweaks to the dialogue. However, he also did some more noticeable changes to the special effects, most of which I feel are an improvement. Although, there are a few shots that just don’t look great and can be a little distracting. I still think it’s the better version of the movie to watch.

From my understanding Wise did not watch Star Trek The Original Series and knew little to nothing about it. Paramount was on his back the whole time about getting it finished for a December 1979 release. The special effects team that was hired had only done commercials and ended up wasting the studio’s time and money with no useful shots. He was in a tight spot to finish it in time but amazingly managed to pull it off. However with that being the case there were a lot of things he felt he didn’t have the proper time to achieve as he’d envisioned.

It’s not as flashy as what George Lucas did with Star Wars both for the original and the 1997 special editions (though it often gets unfairly compared with it). Some of Lucas’s changes have altered the actual storyline of his films. Much to the annoyance of Star Wars fans. Wise’s changes to The Motion Picture better compliment the original material he shot back in the late 70s.

Even the big changes Wise made don’t throw away what the writers, actors, production team, and everyone else that worked on the film did. It’s more like restoring an old piece of furniture, not hacking it up and making it into something it never was, or should be.

I don’t know if you’re into science fiction or Star Trek in general, but this is probably the most divisive film in the series.

Most people say it is the worst one and although it’s not my favorite, I definitely don’t hate it and I think it’s overly criticized.

In 2019 I got to see the original theatrical cut of The Motion Picture in theaters for its 40th anniversary which I was really excited about. I had never got to see it on the big screen before that and it had also been a long time since I had seen the original version. So it was really cool for me to be able to catch it.

In the end, it really all depends on the film. Some are masterpieces the way they are and should never be touched again. And others are underdogs that deserve a second chance to try to make things right.

I typically prefer theatrical cuts over director’s cuts. However, there are some instances when I feel that the overall product is improved by a director getting a second go around. One example that comes to mind is the 2001 director’s cut of Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Some of the changes that director Robert Wise made were small tweaks to the dialogue. However, he also did some more noticeable changes to the special effects, most of which I feel are an improvement. Although, there are a few shots that just don’t look great and can be a little distracting. I still think it’s the better version of the movie to watch.

From my understanding Wise did not watch Star Trek The Original Series and knew little to nothing about it. Paramount was on his back the whole time about getting it finished for a December 1979 release. The special effects team that was hired had only done commercials and ended up wasting the studio’s time and money with no useful shots. He was in a tight spot to finish it in time but amazingly managed to pull it off. However with that being the case there were a lot of things he felt he didn’t have the proper time to achieve as he’d envisioned.

It’s not as flashy as what George Lucas did with Star Wars both for the original and the 1997 special editions (though it often gets unfairly compared with it). Some of Lucas’s changes have altered the actual storyline of his films. Much to the annoyance of Star Wars fans. Wise’s changes to The Motion Picture better compliment the original material he shot back in the late 70s.

Even the big changes Wise made don’t throw away what the writers, actors, production team, and everyone else that worked on the film did. It’s more like restoring an old piece of furniture, not hacking it up and making it into something it never was, or should be.

I don’t know if you’re into science fiction or Star Trek in general, but this is probably the most divisive film in the series.

Most people say it is the worst one and although it’s not my favorite, I definitely don’t hate it and I think it’s overly criticized.

In 2019 I got to see the original theatrical cut of The Motion Picture in theaters for its 40th anniversary which I was really excited about. I had never got to see it on the big screen before that and it had also been a long time since I had seen the original version. So it was really cool for me to be able to catch it.

In the end, it really all depends on the film. Some are masterpieces the way they are and should never be touched again. And others are underdogs that deserve a second chance to try to make things right.
Are you using a 5.1 or 7.1 system for audio?

Streaming or dvd?

5.1. These days mostly streaming, but there are certain movies that aren’t available, so I have them on DVD.
It makes all the difference with sound.

Not many people have a dedicated system usually a sound bar.

Most of my collection is ripped to digital and upgraded to 4k.

I use HTPC with Jriver media player and it is amazing with sound quality and a full system.

I dont watch movies much anymore, I get bored easily and there has not been anything to date worth watching.

Too much sex and woke garbage.

I enjoy the older stuff.

It makes all the difference with sound.

Not many people have a dedicated system usually a sound bar.

Most of my collection is ripped to digital and upgraded to 4k.

I use HTPC with Jriver media player and it is amazing with sound quality and a full system.

I dont watch movies much anymore, I get bored easily and there has not been anything to date worth watching.

Too much sex and woke garbage.

I enjoy the older stuff.
Unfortunately I only have the tv speakers. I would like to get a better sound system, but I can’t really afford anything like that right now.

I’ve been wanting to convert my dvds to digital but I still would keep the physical copies. Besides just likening having a shelf full of movies, I grew up in that transition period of physical media to digital.

I was in that sweet spot where we still went to stores to buy VHS,dvds, cassette tapes, & cds and then being able to buy music on iTunes and watching Netflix. So I like and appreciate both physical and digital. It’s just too bad to me that they both can’t coexist. I would love to be able to still go to Blockbuster and Slickdisc.

I agree movies aren’t what they used to be every once in a while, you find some good movies and shows, but all in all, I typically stick to older stuff.

Unfortunately I only have the tv speakers. I would like to get a better sound system
Speakers I have but I too need a newer decoder and driver for them . Actually I need a new blue ray DVD player too , I had a JVC but it did not last long . I have a Sony DVD player that still works and it is @ 20 years old .

Speakers I have but I too need a newer decoder and driver for them . Actually I need a new blue ray DVD player too , I had a JVC but it did not last long . I have a Sony DVD player that still works and it is @ 20 years old .
The older stuff built like tanks.

I have an old Denon dvd/sacd player that is still going.

Things are just built to last anymore.

Dont get me started on kitchen appliances.

One example that comes to mind is the 2001 director’s cut of Star Trek The Motion Picture.

What Wise did was more of a remastering and refinement of what was already produced . Good Idea .

We see this in music when Albums are remastered but sometimes that is done with poor results .
Marketing at times I am sure , " Newly remastered , buy your new copy ! " All about the 💰 .
Rushing an artistic endeavor is usually never a good idea .
I saw the Star Trek TV episodes on their first run , even if it was in B&W 📺 .
I remember the reviews were unkind upon release , but me and the rest of the Trekkies were glad to see something new .
n the end, it really all depends on the film. Some are masterpieces the way they are and should never be touched again. And others are underdogs that deserve a second chance to try to make things right.
Some of it just little more than adding deleted scenes to the original cut . When we see this sometimes we see why they were cut to begin with .

Yes , sometimes the movie that the writers and director wanted is not really understood by the editor and time constraints may play a part in that , IMO .

Back