Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Anyone notice this mistake in many translations?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I noticed this years ago and wonder why its never been corrected in so many translations.
Read carefully Genesis 28 v 13 then read Exodus 6 v 3.

You speak of the apparent and seeming contradiction heard regarding the Name of the Lord?

In KJV and Young's Literal we see:

13 And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I [am] the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;
[Gen 28:13 KJV]

and lo, Jehovah is standing upon it, and He saith, 'I am Jehovah, God of Abraham thy father, and God of Isaac; the land on which thou art lying, to thee I give it, and to thy seed;
[Gen 28:13 YLT]

This compared to the quote from Exodus, again in both KJV and YLT:

3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by [the name of] God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.
[Exd 6:3 KJV]

3 and I appear unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, as God Almighty; as to My name Jehovah, I have not been known to them;
[Exd 6:3 YLT]

Would the apparent and seeming contradiction not be reconciled with the understanding that what God said was that he was not known as YHWH but rather as 'El Shaddai? to them at that time?

In English it may be similar to saying He was known or seen or experienced as "God Almighty" or 'el Shadday and not yet known or seen or experienced as we later have seen Him. I like the understanding that comes from Hosea in the promise that the Lord spoke, "... thou shalt call me 'Ishi' and shalt call me no more 'Baali'. The meaning is similar in my sight in that some are brought to see (early in timeframe) more of Him whom is Good. As yet, we see through a glass darkly, but then face-to-face.

I noticed this years ago and wonder why its never been corrected in so many translations.

I probably misunderstood your first post then. You say there is a improper translation. I'm not sure what you have noticed so many years ago it seems, please pardon my presumption. While responding I'd also ask, "How do you support your allegation of 'something' needing correction, please?" I ask to prompt your thoughts that will allow others to understand the purpose of the thread in that light.

In the MKJV in Genesis 28 v 13 God says He is Jehova , later in Exodus it says God was not known to them as Jehova. In the Good News Gen 28 v 13 God calls Himself the Lord, in Exodus 6 v 3 it says he didn't. He told Jacob in Genesis 28 He was Jehova or Lord, depending on which translation, yet in Exodus 6 in those translations, as well as some other translations, He says, not God but the translators please don't think I am pointing out that the Word of God is incorrect for one second just the translation, that He didn't call Himself Jehova or Lord.
If you have a translation that reads correctly then you wont see it. Again please don't think I am trying to make the True Word of God look bad.

The thought, that you were trying something, never entered my mind.

When we look at the Hebrew Interlinear for Genesis 28:13 we can see
Hebrew Text : WLC_v (v1.1): Westminster Leningrad Codex with vowels
Sublinears : WLC_t, CHES (v2.0),

The "Sublinears" is the part that I like because it gives the actual "flavor" of the language as well as a very literal rendering of what was said.

Here then is a copy-pasta from Scripture 4 All Hebrew Interlinear Bible (OT)
And here are the 'sublinears' for the two texts you mention.

Gen 28:13 --> and·behold ! Yahweh being-stationed on·him and·he-is-saying I Yahweh Elohim-of Abraham father-of·you and·Elohim-of Isaac ...
Ex 6:3 --> and·I-am-appearing to Abraham to Isaac and·to Jacob in·El Who-Suffices and·name-of·me Yahweh not I-was-known to·them ...

God said that He was appearing as 'El-Shaddai and was not known as YHWH to them in the 2nd text. The way that I understand it is that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob understood that God is "He Who-Suffices" (or 'El-Shaddai) and didn't have the full understanding of who He would reveal Himself to be more-so later. A more full understanding may be found in the meaning of His Name, YHWH, but they did not know that because He did not appear to them in that manner at that time.

Moses wrote both Genesis and Exodus with the benefit of hindsight and revealed inspiration about God that the patriarchs didn't have. The name of God revealed to the Israelites is therefore rightly applied retroactively to the history of the patriarchs, even though Abraham, Isaac and Jacob didn't actually know God by name as YHWH.

Gen 32:29 - And Jacob asked [him], and said, Tell [me], I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore [is] it [that] thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.
Gen 32:30 - And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back