Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Are We Imitating Jesus Christ ?

J

Jay T

We have before us the highest, holiest example.
In thought, word, and deed Jesus was sinless.
Perfection marked all that He did.

He points us to the path that He trod, saying, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." Matt. 16:24.
(Do we really understand what it means, to take up the cross and deny ourselves ? )

Christ unites in His person the fullness and perfection of the Godhead and the fullness and perfection of sinless humanity.
He met all the temptations by which Adam was assailed, and overcame these temptations because in His humanity He relied upon divine power.

This subject demands far more contemplation than it receives.
Christians strike too low.

They are content with a superficial spiritual experience, and therefore they have only the glimmerings of light, when ... they might discern more clearly the wonderful perfection of Christ's humanity, which rises far above all human greatness, all human power.
Christ's life is a revelation of what fallen human beings may become through union and fellowship with the divine nature. . . .

Men and women frame many excuses for their proneness to sin.
Sin is represented as a necessity, an evil that cannot be overcome.
But sin is not a necessity.

Christ lived in this world from infancy to manhood, and during that time He met and resisted all the temptations by which man is beset.
He is a perfect pattern of childhood, of youth, of manhood.

The life of Christ has shown what humanity can do by being partaker of the divine nature. All that Christ received from God we too may have.
Then ask and receive. . . . Let your life be knit by hidden links to the life of Jesus.

Religion to be Supreme

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment. Matt. 22:37, 38.

The youth need to realize that they need a deep experience in the things of God.
A mere surface work will be of no benefit to them.
You need to bring the light of God's Word into your heart, that you may search it as with a lighted candle.

Many profess to be on the Lord's side, but they are not; the weight of all their actions is on Satan's side.

By what means shall we determine whose side we are on?

Who has the heart?

With whom are our thoughts ?

Upon whom do we love to converse ? (Sports ?, current movies ? ect. ?)

Who has our warmest affections and our best energies?

If we are on the Lord's side, our thoughts are with Him, and our sweetest thoughts are of Him.
We have no friendship with the world; we have consecrated all that we have and are to Him.
We long to bear His image, breathe His spirit, do His will, and please Him in all things.

Bible religion is not one influence among many others, but its influence is supreme, pervading and controlling every other influence.

Bible religion is to exercise control over life and conduct.

It is not to be like a dash of color, brushed here and there upon the canvas, but its influence is to pervade the whole life, as though the canvas were dipped into color until every thread of the fabric was dyed in a deep, fast, unfading hue.

The religion of Christ is a firm fabric, composed of innumerable threads, woven together with tact and skill.
Only by the wisdom that God gives can we weave this fabric.

Trusting to ourselves, we draw into it threads of selfishness, and the pattern is spoiled.

Let everyone inquire seriously, "Am I a genuine Christian?

Am I bearing the true marks of a Christian ?

Am I doing my best to perfect a character after the divine model ?"

Pure religion is an imitation of Christ.

"By what means shall we determine whose side we are on?"

trouble situations reveal our state and where we reach for help
shows our dependencies.

We all have to learn to depend on Jesus in practical situations,
it's not the same as only hearing about or only reading about it.

we all need practical faith and have to grow in faith,
and really need daily prayer.

We should know that prayer changes circumstances and builds faith,
but we keep forgetting it, and new trouble situations come our way
so we start praying again.

That's why the cross and a filled bank account have problems to
communicate truth to each other, there is always one winner.

"Do we really understand what it means, to take up the cross and deny ourselves ?"

Well, it's nearly called "the lost chapter of scripture" now,
maybe time to get ourselves into new understanding what it actually means,
any more pointers? A good e-book about truth of the cross?

Jay said:

Just who are you trying to kid? That is impossible. Do you personally know of such a person, or are you just in dream land?

Hey!!! I am interested in that real big bridge that I heard you had for sale.

Windozer said:
Jay said:

Just who are you trying to kid? That is impossible. Do you personally know of such a person, or are you just in dream land?
Now, why did you go and tell me that for ?
I was all set to believe what the Bible says......
Luke 18:27 "And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God".

Mark 10:27 "And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men [it is] impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible".

Oh Well.....I think I'll just believe what God said...OK ?

Jay T said:
Windozer said:
Jay said:

Now, why did you go and tell me that for ?
I was all set to believe what the Bible says......
Luke 18:27 "And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God".

Mark 10:27 "And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men [it is] impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible".

Oh Well.....I think I'll just believe what God said...OK ?

Will you really just believe what God said?

How nice of you...Then you should not have any problem imitating the attitude of Jesus in Philippians 2:6

Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped.

Also if you think you can imitate Christ. Then how about suffering the abuse he suffered at the cross, or do you think you can pick and choose what parts of his life you wish to imitate?

Windozer said:
Also if you think you can imitate Christ. Then how about suffering the abuse he suffered at the cross, or do you think you can pick and choose what parts of his life you wish to imitate?
There is another and more important question that should engage the attention of the churches of today.

The apostle Paul declares that "all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." 2 Timothy 3:12. Why is it, then, that persecution seems in a great degree to slumber?

The only reason is that the church has conformed to the world's standard and therefore awakens no opposition.
The religion which is current in our day is not of the pure and holy character that marked the Christian faith in the days of Christ and His apostles.

It is only because of the spirit of compromise with sin, because the great truths of the word of God are so indifferently regarded, because there is so little vital godliness in the church, that Christianity is apparently so popular with the world.

Let there be a revival of the faith and power of the early church, and the spirit of persecution will be revived, and the fires of persecution will be rekindled.

Oh Well.....I thought you just wanted to believe what God said.

Windozer said:
Oh Well.....I thought you just wanted to believe what God said.
Jesus Christ does not...save people, so they can keep on committing sin.
And sin, is breaking any one of the 10 commandments as 1 John 3:4.....Romans 7:7 says.

Windozer,

So, am I to assume that you are 'just another' of those that profess Christ with their mouths but refuse to follow Him?

Christ came, not only to die for our sins, but to offer an example of how we are to live our lives. To refuse to accept this or outright deny it is to deny Christ Himself.

For one thing we don't imitate anyone to lay claim to salvation. We allow Christ to live in us, it's Him living through us that is good. And yes, we're still sinners acknowledging sin as it is, sin. We CAN repent of sin and we make an attempt to do so to acknowledge Christ, to love Him. Imitation is the pinacle of adoration but it's not so much imitating Christ as it is having a personal relationship with Him, loving Him as our Lord and Savior. Our salvation does not rely on how well we imitate Christ, that's legalism, but if we're willing to surrender to Him. The good we do is not our own but Him living in us.

PotLuck said:
For one thing we don't imitate anyone to lay claim to salvation. We allow Christ to live in us, it's Him living through us that is good. And yes, we're still sinners acknowledging sin as it is, sin. We CAN repent of sin and we make an attempt to do so to acknowledge Christ, to love Him. Imitation is the pinacle of adoration but it's not so much imitating Christ as it is having a personal relationship with Him, loving Him as our Lord and Savior. Our salvation does not rely on how well we imitate Christ, that's legalism, but if we're willing to surrender to Him. The good we do is not our own but Him living in us.
OK, I'm a legalist....... 1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

Hey, I think that we would all agree that it would be utterly impossible to be an 'exact' imitation of Christ. I think that the point JayT is making is that we should certainly 'try'.

Using excuses only makes it impossible to even get close.

Imagican said:
Hey, I think that we would all agree that it would be utterly impossible to be an 'exact' imitation of Christ. I think that the point JayT is making is that we should certainly 'try'.

Using excuses only makes it impossible to even get close.
satan's warfare is againt people overcoming sinful habits.
And, if he can convince them that Jesus Christ is wrong, about overcoming any sins, in people lives......HE WINS !

I'm definitely not saying not to follow Christ.
Many think because they do good, imitating Christ in good works, they'll go to heaven. But imitating Christ is more than that.
Look at it this way. If I love someone don't I want to please them? We also emulate those we hold in high regard... heroes, entertainers.. anyone we adore above other things.
If I truly love Christ I'll want to be more like Him not to get to heaven or lay claim to some other reward. That's a self-centered motivation. One really must ask oneself has my nature changed because I love Christ or am I still the same person looking to gain grace by merit?
I've met people who have a head-belief of christianity but the heart doesn't reflect what is in the mind. I can't love someone simply because I'm told to do so. Feigned love is empty, of little value to anyone and only serves as a weight burdening the soul.
On the other hand I've met people who genuinely love Christ imitating him not through conscience thought but because it's become their nature to do so. And yes there is growth as one becomes closer to Him.
As far as repentance of sin of course we are to reject transgression. Doesn't loving Christ make us aware of sin... what displeases our Lord and Savior? Do we imitate Christ in the same spirit of recognition of right and wrong? Do we imitate Christ's surrender of the will of the flesh to the Father as seen at Gethsemane?
Luke 22:42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
It's all about the motivation from the heart. Legalism becomes a works-centered ideology without a genuine love for Christ.

PotLuck said:
Doesn't loving Christ make us aware of sin... what displeases our Lord and Savior?
I'd have to answer, no...to that question.
Because of the fact that the majority of Christians, keep Sunday worship services....which the Lord regards, as sin.
And, those said Christian are UNaware of their errors, because of a lack of Bible study.....Bible study, which is for the purpose, of knowing the Lord Jesus Christ.

It's all about the motivation from the heart. Legalism becomes a works-centered ideology without a genuine love for Christ.
That is the reason the Bible verse was written as it was.......
"IF..you love me, keep my commandments", (John 14:15)Love comes 1st.....which results in doing what Christ asks of us..... lUKE 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

It is amazing that few understand, that Sunday worship services ...is LEGALISM.
It is based on people, trying to gain the favor of God, by doing things Christ NEVER asks anyone to do.

Yes, I agree. there are those that view going to church every sunday as "The right thing to do" making it legalism.
I attended Calvary Chapel while in Salt Lake. (non-denominational) It wasn't so much a sermon as it was a genuine bible study. The pastor, Terry Long, would choose a book then go through it verse by verse. There was no timetable to get through the book since that wouldn't be predictable. Many times we'd spend a couple month's or more going through the book. Over the years I'd say we had pretty much covered the majority of scripture, in some cases hitting the same books again.
These "services" suited my hunger, to get to know more about Christ which should be the focus in any case.
Anyway, I'm quite sure Terry would be very interested in your view that going to church on sunday is a sin for as far as I'm concerned his talent for bible study is suburb. He can be contacted either by phone or email through his website:
Calvary Chapel of Salt Lake City
And you will get a reply. It may take a little time since he tries his best to answer all but I can assure you it'll be worth the wait.

Here's something new for Salt Lake since I moved back to Pennsylvania almost a year ago.

=============

http://www.calvaryslc.org/church/ccbc/CCBC.htm
Calvary Chapel Bible College:
The Salt Lake City Extension Campus of Calvary Chapel Bible College was started in August, 2004 and maintains the same vision as the main campus in Murrieta. Some of the benefits of the Bible College include:

• Training & equipping men and women for ministry

• Studying God's Word in greater depth

• Providing teaching opportunities for those called to teach

• Providing an alternative to “going away†to a Bible college

• Continuing to impact the area where you live

• Interacting and learning in a classroom setting

CCBC is a unique, non-accredited, independent
religious-exempt institution that offers a Bachelors
Degree in Biblical Studies and an Associates Degree
in Theology. Classes are offered each semester on a
variety of topics and can be taken for credit or for
audit.

=============

So it seems Calvary Chapel shares your view that bible study is VERY important.

Back