Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

ARE WE IN THE LAST DAYS???

• Thread starter LionandLambMinistry
  • Start date

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
L

LionandLambMinistry

Are We In The Last Days???
By The Lion and Lamb Ministry

We receive continual questions about the phrase the last days and people want to know if we are now in the last days or at least getting close to it. We have commented on this matter several times in the past and on other venues, however because of the interest shown here in MySpace on the subject we return to some basics about this matter.

YES!! We are NOW in the last days. The prophecy of Joel 2:28-32 is quoted in Acts 2 and the Bible makes it clear that the term last days began on the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2 when the Church was born, and it will continue until the end of the tribulation period (the Day of the LORD) when the Holy Spirit will be poured out on the Nation of Israel (Ezekiel 39:29; Zechariah 12:10, Romans 11:26)

All during the last days the work of God in pouring out His Spirit refers to the salvation of both Jews and Gentiles.

Of course, we are closer to the end of the last days than we were yesterday! It has gone on now for close to 2000 years. Near the end of these last days a period of time will come which the Apostle Paul calls perilous times (II Timothy 3:1-7). Reading over the characteristics of these perilous times would lead one to suspect that we are now in that dangerous time of deception and sinful behavior.

The completion of the last days will happen when the Day of the LORD takes place. This term is used 25 times in the Bible and refers to Daniels 70th week of his prophecy in Daniel 9:24-27 and refers to the coming Great Tribulation which our Lord and the writers of the New Testament have referred to often.

It appears to be seven years in length and will begin with a false sense of peace and security and a resolution of the conflict between Israel and her hostile enemies. The attempt to bring that resolution or peace agreement about is, of course, going on now. What the final result will be and whenis only known to God.

The Day of the LORD refers to the time when Gods revenge takes place upon a world that has rejected Him and His authority. It is the subject of most of the Book of Revelation. It is the day of Gods wrath upon planet earth.

The Bible uses terms such as deception and darkness and distress and destruction and death etc., to describe this period of time. The world will be plunged into the greatest period of desolation and disaster that humanity has ever seen! Over one half of the worlds population will be killed before this coming trouble is half over! Thats right before the finish of the first 1260 days, over half of the worlds population is killed.

Bible scholars and teachers disagree about many details concerning the future. There are some who think that there will be no future tribulation, and that all the prophecies of the Book of Revelation were fulfilled in 70 AD with the Roman invasion and destruction of Jerusalem. Well here at The Lion and Lamb Ministry we believe that the events of the tribulation are still future.

The IMPORTANT thing in all of this discussion is to make sure of your OWN relationship with the LORD through His Messiah, our Savior from sin, death, and hell. There is NO OTHER WAY (John 14:6; Acts 4:12-13)!

We must repent of our sin, and put our complete faith and trust in the Messiah Himself - it was His death on the cross over 1900 years ago that paid the price of our sin, and He is NOT dead - Hes alive, we serve a RISEN LORD, and Hes coming back again!

If you confess Him as your Lord and Savior and believe that He is God in human flesh, and the only sufficient payment of sin before a holy God, and receive Him, trusting your life and future to Him alone - THEN you will be saved!

BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AND THOU SHALT BE SAVED!
Acts 16:31

Visit our website . . .
http://www.lionandlambministry.com/

YES!! We are NOW in the last days. The prophecy of Joel 2:28-32 is quoted in Acts 2 and the Bible makes it clear that the term last days began on the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2 when the Church was born

According to the writer of Hebrews, Jesus' ministry was in the "last days":

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

His ministry was before Pentecost therefore the "last days" were also pre-Church.

Bible scholars and teachers disagree about many details concerning the future. There are some who think that there will be no future tribulation, and that all the prophecies of the Book of Revelation were fulfilled in 70 AD with the Roman invasion and destruction of Jerusalem. Well here at The Lion and Lamb Ministry we believe that the events of the tribulation are still future.

WHOA WHAT?
I remember a bunch of people in my church(the best bible studiers I've known) use to mention that.. and believe in that. :erm
I forgot all about that.

LionandLambMinistry said:
So what are ya saying???

I'm saying the last days did not start at Pentecost and nor do they refer to the Church Age.

They refer to the last days of Old Covenent Israel.

preterist said:
I'm saying the last days did not start at Pentecost and nor do they refer to the Church Age.

They refer to the last days of Old Covenent Israel.

Act 2:16-17 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Hmmm. That is an interesting thought. SO the question we should be asking is the last days of what? The last days of Israels covenant. The last days of the church age? The last days before the rapture/second coming/ millainum reign?

So where does the day of the Lord fit in?

Act 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

Gabbylittleangel said:
Act 2:16-17 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Hmmm. That is an interesting thought. SO the question we should be asking is the last days of what? The last days of Israels covenant. The last days of the church age? The last days before the rapture/second coming/ millainum reign?

Act 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

The last days of the Mosaic Economy/Old Covenant.

Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Malachi predicted this Day of the Lord:

Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:
Mal 4:6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Jesus tells us John the Baptist was this Elijah that was to come before this day of the Lord:

Mat 11:13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
Mat 11:14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

Mat 17:10 And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elijah must first come?
Mat 17:11 And he answered and said, Elijah indeed cometh, and shall restore all things:
Mat 17:12 but I say into you, that Elijah is come already, and they knew him not, but did unto him whatsoever they would. Even so shall the Son of man also suffer of them.
Mat 17:13 Then understood the disciples that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

In the account of John's birth we read this which is the fullfilment of Malachi 4:6:

Luk 1:16 And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
Luk 1:17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

The day of the Lord was the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple and the judgment of the Jews who rejected their Messiah in AD70.

Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727)
"The figurative language of the prophets is taken from the analogy between the world natural and an empire or kingdom considered as a world politic. Accordingly, the world natural, consisting of heaven and earth, signifies the whole world politic, consisting of thrones and people, or so much of it as is considered in prophecy; and the things in that world signify the analogous things in this. For the heavens and the things therein signify thrones and dignities, and those who enjoy them: and the earth, with the things thereon, the inferior people; and the lowest parts of the earth, called Hades or Hell, the lowest or most miserable part of them. Great earthquakes, and the shaking of heaven and earth, are put for the shaking of kingdoms, so as to distract and overthrow them; the creating of a new heaven and earth, and the passing of an old one; or the beginning and end of a world, for the rise and ruin of a body politic signified thereby. The sun, for the whole species and race of kings, in the kingdoms of the world politic; the moon, for the body of common people considered as the king's wife; the starts, for subordinate princes and great men; or for bishops and rulers of the people of God, when the sun is Christ. Setting of the sun, moon, and stars; darkening the sun, turning the moon into blood, and falling of the stars, for the ceasing of a kingdom." (Observations on the Prophecies, Part i. chap. ii)

preterist said:
The day of the Lord was the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple and the judgment of the Jews who rejected their Messiah in AD70.

Are you sure? Peter tells us that there will be a bit more destruction than just Jerusalem.

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

The Scriptures are full of types, shadows, and other such things. By looking at things that have happened already, we get an idea of things that are to come. Peter says that the day of the Lord will bring about an event where the heavens pass away, and the earth will burn up.

Gabbylittleangel said:
Are you sure? Peter tells us that there will be a bit more destruction than just Jerusalem.

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

The Scriptures are full of types, shadows, and other such things. By looking at things that have happened already, we get an idea of things that are to come. Peter says that the day of the Lord will bring about an event where the heavens pass away, and the earth will burn up.

John Lightfoot (1859)
"That the destruction of Jerusalem is very frequently expressed in Scripture as if it were the destruction of the whole world, Deut. 32:22; "A fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.' Jer. 4:23; 'I beheld the earth, and lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light,' &c. The discourse there also is concerning the destruction of that nation, Isa. 65:17; 'Behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered,' &c. And more passages of this sort among the prophets. According to this sense, Christ speaks in this place; and Peter speaks in his Second Epistle, third chapter; and John, in the sixth of the Revelation; and Paul, 2 Cor. 5:17, &c. (vol. 2, pp. 18-19)
"With the same reference it is, that the times and state of things immediately following the destruction of Jerusalem are called 'a new creation,' new heavens,' and 'a new earth.' When should that be? Read the whole chapter; and you will find the Jews rejected and cut off; and from that time is that new creation of the evangelical world among the Gentiles.
Compare 2 Cor. 5:17 and Rev. 21:1,2; where, the old Jerusalem being cut off and destroyed, a new one succeeds; and new heavens and a new earth are created.
2 Peter 3:13: 'We, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth.' The heaven and the earth of the Jewish church and commonwealth must be all on fire, and the Mosaic elements burnt up; but we, according to the promise made to us by Isaiah the prophet, when all these are consumed, look for the new creation of the evangelical state" (vol. 3, p.453)
"That the destruction of Jerusalem and the whole Jewish state is described as if the whole frame of the world were to be dissolved. Nor is it strange, when God destroyed his habitation and city, places once so dear to him, with so direful and sad an overthrow; his own people, whom he accounted of as much or more than the whole world beside, by so dreadful and amazing plagues. Matt. 24:29,30, 'The sun shall be darkened &c. Then shall appear the 'sign of the Son of man,' &c; which yet are said to fall out within that generation, ver. 34. 2 Pet. 3:10, 'The heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat,' &c. Compare with this Deut. 32:22, Heb. 12:26: and observe that by elements are understood the Mosaic elements, Gal 4:9, Coloss. 2:20: and you will not doubt that St. Peter speaks only of the conflagration of Jerusalem, the destruction of the nation, and the abolishing the dispensation of Moses" (vol. 3, p. 452).

John Owen (1721)
'It is evident, then, that in the prophetical idiom and manner of speech, by heavens and earth, the civil and religious state and combination of men in the world, and the men of them, were often understood. So were the heavens and earth that world which then was destroyed by the flood.
' 4. On this foundation I affirm that the heavens and earth here intended in this prophecy of Peter, the coming of the Lord, the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men, mentioned in the destruction of that heaven and earth, do all of them relate, not to the last and final judgment of the world, but to that utter desolation and destruction that was to be made of the Judaical church and state
'First, There is the foundation of the apostle's inference and exhortation, seeing that all these things, however precious they seem, or what value soever any put upon them, shall be dissolved, that is, destroyed; and that in that dreadful and fearful manner before mentioned, in a day of judgment, wrath, and vengeance, by fire and sword; let others mock at the threats of Christ's coming: He will come- He will not tarry; and then the heavens and earth that God Himself planted, -the sun, moon, and stars of the Judaical polity and church, -the whole old world of worship and worshippers, that stand out in their obstinancy against the Lord Christ, shall be sensibly dissolved and destroyed: this we know shall be the end of these things, and that shortly." (Sermon on 2 Peter iii. 11, Works, folio, 1721.).

John Brown (1853)
" 'Heaven and earth passing,' understood literally, is the dissolution of the present system of the universe, and the period when that is to take place, is called the 'end of the world.' But a person at all familiar with the phraseology of the Old Testament Scriptures, knows that the dissolution of the Mosaic economy, and the establishment of the Christian, is often spoken of as the removing of the old earth and heavens, and the creation of a new earth and new heavens" (vol. 1, p. 170)

You are the stereo-typical Hyper Calvinists. Thanks for running people off!

LionandLambMinistry said:
You are the stereo-typical Hyper Calvinists. Thanks for running people off!

Don't blame me because he cannot defend his position with scripture. He left because he had nothing to say except what was in his Lahaye Prophecy Study Bible.

What does "hyper-calvinism" have do do with this discussion anyway?

preterist said:
Don't blame me because he cannot defend his position with scripture. He left because he had nothing to say except what was in his Lahaye Prophecy Study Bible.

What does "hyper-calvinism" have do do with this discussion anyway?

Preterist

I'm a lady. Thank you very much.
yar.gif

I do not own nor have I ever read the Lahaye Prophecy Study Bible.

I simply believe that what you posted does not line up with Scripture, and I have absolutely no hope of convincing you of that, nor do I feel led to do so. Your viewpoint is one that I have never ever heard before, and is so far away from what I believe to be true that you and I would never find common ground to start the discussion.

For example, I believe that if Peter had meant Jerusalem, Peter would have written Jerusalem, and not earth....

Quite obviously, you believe that when Peter said, earth, he really meant Jerusalem.

I simply do not have access to the same code books, and I really would like to make better use of my time.

Lion,
I am still around. Surfin the other threads. And yes, I do believe we are in the last days and I am looking forward to the Homecoming!

I simply believe that what you posted does not line up with Scripture, and I have absolutely no hope of convincing you of that, nor do I feel led to do so.

Ditto.

Your viewpoint is one that I have never ever heard before,

Does that make it wrong?

For example, I believe that if Peter had meant Jerusalem, Peter would have written Jerusalem, and not earth....

Quite obviously, you believe that when Peter said, earth, he really meant Jerusalem.

No, read again. It is much more than just the destruction of Jerusalem.

I simply do not have access to the same code books, and I really would like to make better use of my time.

Code Books such as he Old Testament? and Hebrew figures of speech?

'It is evident, then, that in the prophetical idiom and manner of speech, by heavens and earth, the civil and religious state and combination of men in the world, and the men of them, were often understood. So were the heavens and earth that world which then was destroyed by the flood.

"That the destruction of Jerusalem is very frequently expressed in Scripture as if it were the destruction of the whole world, Deut. 32:22; "A fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains. Jer. 4:23; 'I beheld the earth, and lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light,'

But a person at all familiar with the phraseology of the Old Testament Scriptures, knows that the dissolution of the Mosaic economy, and the establishment of the Christian, is often spoken of as the removing of the old earth and heavens, and the creation of a new earth and new heavens"

Of course if you get a heavy dose of Jack Van Impe and others of his ilk, it is not surprising you have never heard this view. I was once there.

Gabbylittleangel said:
Preterist

I'm a lady. Thank you very much.
yar.gif

I do not own nor have I ever read the Lahaye Prophecy Study Bible.

I simply believe that what you posted does not line up with Scripture, and I have absolutely no hope of convincing you of that, nor do I feel led to do so. Your viewpoint is one that I have never ever heard before, and is so far away from what I believe to be true that you and I would never find common ground to start the discussion.

Lion,
I am still around. Surfin the other threads. And yes, I do believe we are in the last days and I am looking forward to the Homecoming!

Hi Gabby. I'm basically a BIBLICAL FUTURIST also. (Tho I do believe that much of what happened in 70AD was A PROTO-TYPE and foreshadowing of the FINAL PROPHETIC SCENARIO which will be fulfilled when Christ returns form His Church and the elect of Israel) !

I believe we are living in what is almost certainly the last generation before the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. ... Have you ever seen this powerful website? . . .

http://www.harpazo.net/101/List.html

The Bible foretells many signs that would culminate in the last days.
Jesus indicated these signs would arise together as His return drew near (Matthew 24:33-34). Though many of these prophecies won’t climax until the tribulation period, our generation is the first to see every trend in place. As the final seconds of this age tick away, these events will come into even clearer focus. Keep in mind as you read through this list that these prophecies were penned 1900 to 3500 years ago!

Note: The 101 Last Days Prophecies booklet is now in it's 3rd Printing!

Gabby:

I always knew you were a lady, and a fine one at that, too!

How dare anyone think you're otherwise and made their mind up to assume that, but of course we're supposedly the ones that have our minds made up and don't know how to interpret or defend scripture because we make assumptions! :-D

I don't know how close to the end times we are yet, but I do know one thing. It was stated in Acts 1:11 where it was said:

Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

And again Jesus himself said, "And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."

Somehow, some people can concoct this as being past already. I think that's because I don't think they can stand the terror of the Lord when he does come. He died for me; my conscience is clean.

:-D :o :roll:

tim_from_pa said:
Somehow, some people can concoct this as being past already. I think that's because I don't think they can stand the terror of the Lord when he does come.

Or perhaps they study the Bible and not Jack VanImpe.

C H Spurgeon on Matthew 24:32-33

"Our Lord here evidently returns to often made use of its illuminated the subject of the destruction of Jerusalem, and in these words gives his apostles warning concerning the signs of the times. He had recently used the barren fig tree as an object-lesson; he now bids his disciples "learn a parable of the fig tree" and all the trees (Luke 21:31). God’s great book of nature is full of illustrations for those who have eyes to perceive them; and the Lord Jesus, the great Creator, often made use of its illuminated pages in conveying instruction to the minds of his hearers. On this occasion, he used a simple simile from the parable of the fig-tree: "When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh." They could not mistake so plain a token of the near return of summer; and Jesus would have them read quite as quickly the signs that were to herald the coming judgment on Jerusalem: "So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors." The Revised Version has the words, "Know ye that he is nigh," the Son of man, the King. His own nation rejected him when he came in mercy; so his next coming would be a time of terrible judgment and retribution to his guilty capital. Oh, that Jews and Gentiles today were wise enough to learn the lesson of that fiery trial, and to seek his face, those wrath they cannot bear!"

Adam Clarke

Mat 24:30 -
Then shall appear the sign of the Son of man - The plain meaning of this is, that the destruction of Jerusalem will be such a remarkable instance of Divine vengeance, such a signal manifestation of Christ’s power and glory, that all the Jewish tribes shall mourn, and many will, in consequence of this manifestation of God, be led to acknowledge Christ and his religion. By της γης, of the land, in the text, is evidently meant here, as in several other places, the land of Judea and its tribes, either its then inhabitants, or the Jewish people wherever found.

Think Spurgeon can "stand the terror of the Lord'?

Back