Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Asking forgiveness

Hi all,
we are told by Jesus to forgive. And if we forgive, we will also receive forgiveness ourselves.
And if we do not forgive each other, we ourselves will not receive forgiveness.

Which is harder to do? to forgive, or to ask forgiveness?

Curious to hear your thoughts..

Blessings to all,
brian

I think it is more difficult to forgive...especially in the case of the party who hurt you not apologizing. It is truly a hard thing to do...forgive someone who does not seek it.

It's a lot harder to forgive, especially if there is already pride or some sort of anger already involved. If one does not like a person, forgiveness may be very difficult. It's hard to learn to humble oneself and forgive.

There are many things in life that I have found that the more you do them, the easier they are to do because you see the benefits of the actions. In the case of forgiveness, I had no idea that it was such a powerful thing to do.

I have also found that when we forgive, it has very little to do with those people we are forgiving; it is about what we get out of doing the deed. If we are living our lives with anger and vengeance in our hearts, we are the ones who are carrying around that anger and vengeance; we live with it. What forgiving others does for us is that it frees us from carrying around all of that negativity. We get to move on with our lives, and, hopefully, those that we forgive also benefit from what we have done.

One of the things that's not often said about the act of forgiving is that the first person we need to forgive is ourselves. As we live our lives, we all do stupid, mean-spirited things. I've certainly done my share. When we forgive ourselves, it really does come down to recognizing that we know that we have done things about which we do not feel proud. More than that, true forgiveness comes with the intention on our part to be better human beings, to not do those things again.

In my experience, I have no reason to believe that it is possible for any of us to love and forgive others any more than we are willing to love and forgive ourselves. When we love and forgive, we are serving God's will and our own.

Back