Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

At home - snug, safe and secure.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Shema

CF Ambassador
0001-2816620637_20210613_182116_0000.png

An Emoji Devotions for Sun June 13, 2021

Topic: At home – snug, safe and secure

By H. U. Wenger

Highlights: I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me. (Psalm 13:6)

Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. (James 5:13 – 15)

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28 – 30)

I know with unfailing certainty that we all have something in common. We all have started our lives with an insatiable craving for being rescued. There was absolutely nothing we could do to help ourselves, except for crying out as loud as possible. Nothing was more comforting and nourishing than finding strong arms that held us and provided everything we needed. In these loving provisions we felt at home, snug, safe and secure. As we grew, we all began to fight for our independence.

I do not need help. I am big and strong myself – I want to go my own way – I want to shape and do things my way! In our childhood and adolescence we are oscillating between crying out for help – how do you dare to abandon me? – and marking our independence – leave me alone, I am big enough to decide myself! Deep down within us there remains an insecurity that keeps craving for being at home, snug safe and secure. The writer of Psalm 13 was aware of this. He is in trouble and cries out to the Lord: ‘How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death, and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” and my foes will rejoice when I fall.’ (Verses 1 – 4) Because he knows the Lord the same way he knew his parents, who have nurtured him, he does not despair, but trusts in the help to come, although there is not an immediate answer to his plea. “But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me.” (Verses 5 – 6)
James expands the trust in the Lord to those who are happy and to those who are sick. Everyone is called to either sing the Lord’s praises or to pray. Jesus finally makes clear that he has room for every single one of us, who is burdened and who longs to be at home, snug safe and secure. He offers the rest we all are craving for in our hearts. All I have to do is to come to him and accept that I cannot do it on my own. In his arms I get the same comfort and the same nurturing help as I got as a baby in my mother’s arms. With him, I can be at home for eternity and I will never ever be blamed for being needy.

Prayer: Jesus Christ, I am burdened and needy and I long to be at home. Thank you for your invitation. I need your salvation and the rest for the soul you promise more than anything else. Thank you for accepting me into your kingdom. Amen

Back