Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Banning Marriage?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Mungo

Some people claim the Catholic Church contradicts the Bible because it bans marriage.
“Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by giving heed to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, through the pretensions of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and enjoin abstinence from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.”(1Tim 4:1-3)

But he Catholic Church does not forbid people to marry (except for two people of the same sex and a person who is already married and I think you'll accept that as biblical).

This charge though is usually about priestly celibacy.
Two points
1. The Catholic Church does have married priests in the Eastern rites, similar to Orthodox.

2. Latin rite priests are unmarried. However it is their choice to give up the option of marriage when they become priests “because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven.” (Mt 19:12)
"An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord." (1Cor 7:32)

If a man marries he gives up the option of being a priest (at least unless his wife dies)
Paul says “ I wish that all were as I myself am [unmarried]. But each has his own special gift from God, one of one kind and one of another. (1Cor 7:7)

Marriage and Ordination are sacraments. Whichever a person chooses he or she will be given the graces (gifts) to live the life they have chosen.

It’s a choice. No-one forces anyone to marry or become a priest.

No-one forbids anyone to marry, but some choices rule out others.

A man or woman has a choice to follow a particular calling from God. If a man chooses to become a priest in the Latin Rite then he chooses to forgo the option of marrying unless he leaves the priesthood (as some have done). He is not forced to become a priest and therefore is not forced to take a vow of celibacy. It is his choice. But as I said some choices rule out others.

If a man or a woman chooses to marry then the Church expects them to faithfully honour that choice and the promises that go with it.

Similarly if a man or a woman chooses to follow a celibate life as a priest, monk or nun then the Church expects them to faithfully honour that choice and the promises that go with it.

If a man marries he gives up the option of being a priest (at least unless his wife dies)
Paul says “ I wish that all were as I myself am [unmarried]. But each has his own special gift from God, one of one kind and one of another. (1Cor 7:7)
I don't see how the verse you referenced supports the position that marrying requires that he give up the option of priesthood. Yes, Paul said that he wished all were as himself (unmarried) but Paul didn't say it was a requirement, only a preference. How about posting the next two verses as well?

8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am;
9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

1 Corinthians 7:8-9 NKJV

I can't help but think that a priest who happens to become interested in a woman would not have some difficulty dealing with the burning passion and it could very easily distract him from his priestly obligations. This is what I believe Paul was speaking about.

I don't see how the verse you referenced supports the position that marrying requires that he give up the option of priesthood. Yes, Paul said that he wished all were as himself (unmarried) but Paul didn't say it was a requirement, only a preference. How about posting the next two verses as well?

8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am;
9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

1 Corinthians 7:8-9 NKJV

I can't help but think that a priest who happens to become interested in a woman would not have some difficulty dealing with the burning passion and it could very easily distract him from his priestly obligations. This is what I believe Paul was speaking about.

That is part of discerning whether to become a priest. And as I quoted "they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven.” (Mt 19:12)

As the Catechism says (after quoting Mt 19:12) Called to consecrate themselves with undivided heart to the Lord and to "the affairs of the Lord,"(1Cor 7:32) they give themselves entirely to God and to men. Celibacy is a sign of this new life to the service of which the Church's minister is consecrated; accepted with a joyous heart celibacy radiantly proclaims the Reign of God. (CCC 1579).

And as the quote from Paul said "But each has his own special gift from God, one of one kind and one of another."(1Cor 7:7). If God calls someone tom serve in a particular was I believe God gives them the gifts they need to perform that service.

Some people claim the Catholic Church contradicts the Bible because it bans marriage.
“Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by giving heed to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, through the pretensions of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and enjoin abstinence from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.”(1Tim 4:1-3)

But he Catholic Church does not forbid people to marry (except for two people of the same sex and a person who is already married and I think you'll accept that as biblical).

This charge though is usually about priestly celibacy.
Two points
1. The Catholic Church does have married priests in the Eastern rites, similar to Orthodox.

2. Latin rite priests are unmarried. However it is their choice to give up the option of marriage when they become priests “because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven.” (Mt 19:12)
"An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord." (1Cor 7:32)

Marriage and Ordination are sacraments. Whichever a person chooses he or she will be given the graces (gifts) to live the life they have chosen.

It’s a choice. No-one forces anyone to marry or become a priest.

No-one forbids anyone to marry, but some choices rule out others.

A man or woman has a choice to follow a particular calling from God. If a man chooses to become a priest in the Latin Rite then he chooses to forgo the option of marrying unless he leaves the priesthood (as some have done). He is not forced to become a priest and therefore is not forced to take a vow of celibacy. It is his choice. But as I said some choices rule out others.

If a man or a woman chooses to marry then the Church expects them to faithfully honour that choice and the promises that go with it.

Similarly if a man or a woman chooses to follow a celibate life as a priest, monk or nun then the Church expects them to faithfully honour that choice and the promises that go with it.
Please read the whole chapter its out of context.

Back