Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Baptism Verses

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Y

YouthOnFire

Hey, i don't know if every church does this, but mine does so if they do post your baptism verses here, feel free to discuss the verses posted.

mine is

Galatians 3:26-27

In my bible (the youth bible NCV) it says:

You were all baptised into Christ, and so you were all clothed with Christ. This means that you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

I have been struggling to find meaning in this section of scripture. I know I was prayed for before my baptism and this is the verse that came to light for me so i know its from god and it must mean something significant to me. All i can think of at the moment is these two things:

1. I was struggling with popularity issues in high school and it could mean that no matter wether i'm popular or not, i have an earthly family that will love me no matter what.

or

2. I kept arguing with my parents non stop for about a year and a half and it could mean, no matter what happens with my family i have an earthly family that will care for me no matter what.

i'm really kind of confused by this verse and would like other peoples views on its meaning if it isn't too much trouble.

thanks and godbless

xx

Youth, Paul is basically saying we belivers are in one accord, family of God. We havve the same Savior, same Father, and same Holy Spirit. Water Baptism symbolizes that we are in His death, burial, and Resurrection. But no way does water baptism save anyone. It's just an external act of obedience to God, and shows others we are saved by grace through faith.

May God bless, golfjack

From the Net Bible

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you are saved through faith,20 and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God; 2:9 it is not from 21 works, so that no one can boast. 2:10 For we are his workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared beforehand so we may do them. 23

20tc The feminine article is found before πίστεως (pistews, “faithâ€Â) in the Byzantine text as well as in A Ψ 1881 pc. Perhaps for some scribes the article was intended to imply creedal fidelity as a necessary condition of salvation (“you are saved through the faithâ€Â), although elsewhere in the corpus Paulinum the phrase διὰ τῆς πίστεως (dia th" pistew") is used for the act of believing rather than the content of faith (cf. Romans 3:30, 31; Galatians 3:14; Ephesians 3:17; Colossians 2:12). On the other side, strong representatives of the Alexandrian and Western texts (א B D* F G P 0278 6 33 1739 al bo) lack the article. Hence, both text-critically and exegetically, the meaning of the text here is most likely “saved through faith†as opposed to “saved through the faith.†Regarding the textual problem, the lack of the article is the preferred reading.

21tn Or “not as a result of.â€Â

23tn Grk “so that we might walk in them†(or “by themâ€Â).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets look at the word through (dia)

New Testament (eds. Brooke Foss Westcott, Fenton John Anthony Hort)
III. causal, through, by,
B. of the Instrument or Means. (Ephesians 2:8 translates dia as through, aka Instrument)
C. of Manner (Acts 15:7 translates dia as by, aka manner)

Clearly, we are saved by grace. However, faith is the instrument that God uses to manifest good works through us. You see, we do good works, but they are through God’s grace with faith as the instrument.

Baptism is a work, but it is not a work of ourselves that we could ever boast, it is the work of God’s grace infused in faith. Baptism is more than an outward expression; it is God’s divine intervention in our lives. It is where we are forgiven our sins and made new creatures in Christ. Thus, baptism does save.

Colossians 2:12 Having been buried with him in baptism, you also have been raised with him through your faith in the power of God who raised him from the dead. 2:13 And even though you were dead in your transgressions and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, he nevertheless made you alive with him, having forgiven all your transgressions. 2:14 He has destroyed what was against us, a certificate of indebtedness expressed in decrees opposed to us. He has taken it away by nailing it to the cross.

HI Youth On Fire. This is sometime since your post, but I will give my views:

First of all, the full meaning of the Greek word "baptizo" is "to dip, or immerse" and has to do with being "identified with".

Gal. 3:27 from the CLT reads, "For whoever are baptized into Christ, put on Christ, in Whom there is no Jew nor yet Greek, there is no slave nor yet free, there is no male and female, for you all are one in Christ Jesus."

We are "immersed" into Christ by the Spirit, being identified with Him in His death, burial and resurrection.

Rom. 6:3ff "...We who died to sin, how shall we still be living in it? Or are you ignorant that whoever are baptized into Christ Jesus, are baptized into His death? We, then, were entombed together with Him through baptism into death, that, even as Christ was roused from among the dead through the glory of the Father, thus we also should be walking in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of His death, nevertheless we shall be of the resurrection also, knowing this, that our old humanity was crucified together with Him, that the body of Sin may be nullified, for us by no means to be still slaving for Sin, for one who dies has been justified from Sin." CLT.

Bick

BAPTISM

Traditional Christianity holds that there are only two sacraments that are commanded to us by Christ - Baptism and the Lord's Supper.

Baptism: 1: A Christian sacrament marked by ritual use of water and admitting the recipient to the Christian community; 2: an act, experience, or ordeal by which one is purified, sanctified, initiated or named. (Webster's 88)

Baptism of fire: 1: A spiritual baptism by a gift of the Holy Spirit - often used in allusion to Acts 2:3-4 and Matthew 3:11; 2: An introductory or initial experience that is a severe ordeal (a soldier's first exposure to enemy fire). (Webster's 88)

Hastings Bible dictionary identifies baptism as, "an outward sign and pledge of inward repentance on their (man's) part, and of their forgiveness on the part of God. Baptism is related to repentance as the outward act in which the inward change finds expression" (Hastings 82). In his book, The Glorious Journey, Pastor Charles Stanley defines baptism as, "An act of obedience whereby the believer publicly identifies through immersion (in water) with Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection" (Stanley 6).

Baptize: Originates from the Greek word baptizo; to make whelmed (i.e. fully wet); of ceremonial ablution. (Zodhiates 18)

I would give this definition of baptism for the true believer in Christ: "A willful, conscious, outward act of immersion in water that signifies the inner working of Christ and the Holy Spirit whereby the believer, by an act of God's grace, is cleansed from impurity and identified in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ."

"Baptism and the (Lord's) Supper are for the saved alone, and only the saved can scripturally observe either ordinance" - George W. Truett (Stanley 5).

I have heard it said that there's not much in the New Testament that isn't alluded to in the Old Testament. Accordingly, there should likely be some Old Testament scripture(s) that look forward to the sacrament of baptism. I submit Ezekiel 36:25-26:

"I will sprinkle clean water on you and you will be clean; I will
cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I
will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you."

Concerning the above verse, the Geneva Study Bible provides this commentary:

"The sprinkling or pouring of water refers to the ritual purifications for removing religious defilement (Exodus 30:17-21; Leviticus 14:52; Numbers 19:17-19). It is also used as a symbol for the gift of God's (Holy) Spirit, in the anointing of kings and priests and in the prophetic call (Joel 2:28, 29). The outpouring of God's Spirit is a sign of the messianic age (37:14; 39:29; Isaiah 42:1; 44:3; 59:21). This rich symbolism attaches to baptism in the New Testament. The language of vs. 25-27 is closely paralleled in Psalm 51:7-11" (Geneva Study Bible 1309).

A related New Testament verse is found in John 3:5: "Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit." And yet another related verse is found in Titus 3:5: "He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit." This being said, I think it should also be noted that the apostle Paul referenced Jesus in this same context:

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and
gave Himself up for her, to make her holy, cleansing her by the
washing with water through the word." (Ephesians 5:25-26)

The Geneva Study Bible makes this comment regarding the above: "Paul outlines in these verses the entire process to which Christ has committed Himself in His relationship with the church. He has washed her from sin and is preparing her for a glorious destiny with Himself" (Geneva Study Bible 1869). Of course the "word" (washing with water through the word) is directly connected to John 1 - "the word became flesh," speaking of Christ. It is at this juncture that we see that both Christ and the Holy Spirit are involved in spiritual cleansing (Titus 3:5; Ephesians 5:25-26). To further this point I submit I John 1:7 (KJV):

"But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have
fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ
His Son cleanseth us from all sin."

These foundational verses support the proposition that (1) By a work of God's grace believers are cleansed from their impurities; and (2) Christ and the Holy Spirit are both clearly identified as being instrumental in this process.

JOHN THE BAPTIST

The advent of John the Baptist was not just happenstance - he was clearly foretold in the Old Testament (note Isaiah 40:3, 5 in conjunction with Matthew 3:1-3, and also Malachi 4:5-6 in conjunction with Luke 1:17). His mission from God was to prepare the way for the coming Messiah. "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near," he cried out. "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire" (Matthew 3:2, 11).

The first thing we note is that John's baptism is a baptism of repentance, which is a preparatory work of God in man's heart. I say that repentance is a work of God, for if it were a work of man, than man could boast of this "work." And Ephesians 2:8-9 states clearly that man is saved solely by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ. And also, John 6:44 states, "No one can come to me unless the God who sent me first draws him..."

Next, if John's baptism is a baptism of repentance, then the individual engaged needs to have sufficient maturity and cognitive acumen to be able to understand right from wrong, sin from proper behavior, and be able to understand this in light of God's word. Repentance then, as a prerequisite for John's baptism, is not possible for newborn infants. Along these lines, there are no instances mentioned in the Bible where infants are either commanded to be baptized, or are baptized apart from such commandments. And although I don't see anything wrong with parents baptizing their newborn children, I would recommend that the child be instructed in the ways of the Lord and then later, at the proper time, of their own accord, again undergo the baptismal sacrament.

In the last chapter of Mark (v. 16) we read:

"Whoever believes (in Christ) and is baptized will be saved, but
whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Belief in Christ (by the gift of faith) and repentance both originate from God. Once a person is convicted of their sins by the Holy Spirit, repentance, along with a believing faith in Christ, is normally not far behind. I believe they are both a work of God, and both are normative in the salvation process.

As a ritual, water baptism is also seen as a public demonstration of one's faith in Christ. Water baptism is also a commandment of Christ, and is therefore our first act of obedience to Him.

It is at this point that I feel the need to state that the ritual of baptism is not a necessity for salvation. A good case in point would be the thief on the cross next to Jesus, who could not come down from the cross in order to be baptized.

Water baptism is not a prerequisite for salvation - believing faith in Christ is (John 3:16). Spiritual baptism, resulting from a true, believing faith in Jesus Christ, is a necessity for salvation.

People can say they believe in Christ and even undergo baptism and still not be saved. The important thing is the condition of the person's heart, and if their faith in Christ is genuine. Outward ceremonial rituals do not save a person. Inward spiritual cleansing must occur, resulting from saving faith, and many people in and outside the church tend to confuse this issue.

God bless!

Easyrider said:
BAPTISM

Traditional Christianity holds that there are only two sacraments that are commanded to us by Christ - Baptism and the Lord's Supper.

I disagree with you here, as we have Seven Sacraments in the Catholic Church from the dawn of Christianity. Of course, as time went on, further clarificatiun was done to bring out the significance of these Sacraments, what they mean, what they did.

Anyway, the following link may be useful to you to get the fuller extent of Sacraments from the Oldert Chrsitian Church on earth:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13295a.htm

I realize it may be a tough read, but is worthy for those who want the truth as to what the Catholic Church teaches.

It comes from the old 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia that is most rich is expressing what the Church teaches.

Hope that helps... :smt023

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Christus Vincit! Christus Regnat! Christus Imperat!

Back