Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Basic Bible Doctrine

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
You do know that John the Baptist baptized with water, but Jesus baptized with the spirit and with fire? And when JC gave the "great commission" he said to his disciples: Matt 28:1 9Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Notice that JC didn't say: Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them "in water" saying in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: But, that is what almost all men do, sadly.

So....let's take a look at Mark 16:16 again. He that believeth and is baptized (in what? Water? No,in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost) shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned (damned to a literal hell? No, damned to still believing a lie).

So it's not water that we are to be baptized in, but the "name of the Father" (God is our Father), "the Son" (Christ taught us that God is the Father of us all, we all are sons and daughter of God), and "the Holy Ghost" (we are spirit, not the flesh that we see).

For some reason every time we hear the word "baptize" we assume it is water immersion. But that is not so. Baptize means to immerse. So it is not water that we are to immerse people in, but the name of who God is (our Father), who we are (his Children), and what we are (spirit, not flesh).

Baptism is by water and is necessary for salvation. I don't know exactly what the first point means, which is why I asked for a source (thanks, Free). The source doesn't elaborate, so is no help. It just says "Without baptism, there can be no hope of salvation" which I don't agree with. Baptism is the ORDINARY MEANS of salvation, but there are extraordinary means that have been revealed to us (i.e., the Thief on the cross, deathbed conversion, etc.).

" For Christ also died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which he went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, during the building of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water.
21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you,
not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers subject to him. (1Peter (RSV) 3)

Water baptism saves.

tig said;

The gospel, or good news, given to Abraham is: In thee shall all nations be blessed. So simple that nothing can be added thereunto.

Elvis said;

Since no one has answered yet except tig to say what the gospel is, I can assume that those who have read
either dont know what it is or dont want to answer.

Please tig do not say the same thing to the Collecting Angel when he asks what you know about the " Promises made to Ab ". The Gospel would take me at least 5,000 words to explain.

This is not the time for me to expound , however soon I am doing an in depth study of what the gospel is.

Your answer is the same answer I get from all modern churches. The same answer I have been getting
from all who try to answer.
You really believe what you say, I appreciate that.

1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Act 28:20 For this cause therefore have I called for you, to see [you], and to speak with [you]: because that for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain.

Notice the words "THE HOPE OF ISRAEL" the promises are not made to christians.

Yeshua is a Jew. All the writers of the new testament are Jews.

When He returns He will be a Jew, and force all to except Judiasm.

Maybe you can remember that the seed of Ab was also promised to rule the earth as King.

The gospel will follow in another post.......................................

Last edited by a moderator:
Luke was a Gentile.:readbible
Reply to the assertion that Luke was necessarily a gentile; Quote from: The web site 'Grace Points' and Starlight Research
The Lists in Colossians

In Colossians 4, the Apostle Paul closes his letter by listing the various people who are with him as he writes the epistle, and some of those who are addressed. In these lists Paul makes mention of some who are of "the circumcision" (Col. 4:10-11), and are, therefore, Jews. Although it is not perfectly clear which men are referred to, they are presumably the previous three: Aristarchus, Mark and Jesus called Justus. Paul apparently does not include Tychicus and Onesimus, mentioned before in verses 7-9, as being in the circumcision group.

Later in this same chapter, in verse 14, Paul refers to Luke, the beloved physician. The argument is made that, as Luke is not mentioned in the list of those of "the circumcision", he therefore must not be a Jew. However, this is very slim evidence, indeed. In the above reference, Paul is speaking of his fellow workers in the preaching ministry. However, Luke was not ever described as being actively involved in the work of preaching, but was rather Paul's personal physician and historian. It would not be appropriate to put Luke in the list with those who were active in the preaching ministry, regardless of background.

Thus, there are reasons other than background why Luke would not be included in the list of "the circumcision." It is risky to build a concept on evidence which is so weak, and this is the strongest evidence in the Bible that those who believe Luke was a Gentile use to prove their point.

I don't believe that you have to be baptized to be saved (salvation through works), but I do think that it is a great profession of faith.

8.2 belief and baptism allow us to share in the Abrahamic promises,

To continue with the promises ; This is "" the gospel preached to Abraham""

Modern churches say the gospel is something found in the new testament. That is false!!

14 The Lord said to Abram after Lot had parted from him, “Lift up your eyes from where you are and look north and south, east and west.

15 All the land that you see I will give to you and your offspring [fn1] forever.

16 I will make your offspring like the dust of the earth, so that if anyone could count the dust, then your offspring could be counted.

17 Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you.”

18 So Abram moved his tents and went to live near the great trees of Mamre at Hebron, where he built an altar to the Lord.

Why is Abraham promised land on the earth not heaven?

Why is Abraham told to walk through the land that he will inherit in the future?

Why do modern churches teach that our inheritance is going to heaven?

V 18 teaches that the offspring will inherit the land FOREVER so how could you be in heaven?

The promise that the offspring would inherit the land goes in the face of modern churches teaching of dying and going to heaven!!

The old testament does not teach you die and go to heaven!!

The old testament teaches we are promised the land of Israel!

Modern churches are astray from the old testament teachings!!

Last edited by a moderator:
T he Lord’s prayer is undoubtedly the most familiar passage in the entire Bible. It begins, "Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven" Matthew 6:9-10. However, do we really understand what Jesus is saying; are we sufficiently aware of what we are being taught to pray for? For example, Jesus prays for God’s kingdom to come, he petitions God that His will might be fulfilled in the earth. But what do we know about the kingdom of God? Where will it be? when will it be established? Who will enjoy its benefits and how can people enter into God’s kingdom?

These are very important questions, because Jesus informs us that not everyone will enter God’s Kingdom—"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 7:21).

The Gospel of the Kingdom of God

We want to begin our examination by considering what we know. The ministry of Jesus Christ was consistent from beginning to end. Jesus began his ministry in Galilee saying, "Repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mark 1:15). Three years later he committed the same message to his disciples, "And he (Jesus) said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15). Moreover, Jesus emphasized the importance of the gospel message when he said, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be condemned" (Mark 16:16).

In other words knowing and understanding the gospel message is a matter of life and death.

What was the substance of the gospel? It was the Kingdom of God. We read "Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God" (Mark 1:14). Therefore when Jesus prayed "Thy kingdom come" he was seeking the fulfillment of the gospel message.

The Gospel and Abraham

It is generally assumed that the gospel was peculiar to the preaching of Jesus Christ, but this is not the case. The gospel preached by Jesus was in fact two thousand years old. This is confirmed by the apostle Paul in his letter to the Galatians where he says "And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed" (Galatians 3:8). If therefore we can determine what God said to Abraham, then we will appreciate more fully what is meant by the kingdom of God.

Who exactly was this man Abraham? Evidently he occupies a prominent place in the purpose of God; his name occurs over two hundred times in the Bible, of which sixty are in the New Testament. He is identified as the father of the Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 1:1). He is called "the friend of God" (James 2:23). He is described as the "Father of the faithful" (Romans 4:16-17). These are very impressive credentials indeed and because of Abraham’s faithfulness Jesus declared that he would be in the kingdom of God: "And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 8:11).

Promises Made to Abraham: For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed forever. Gen. 13:14,15

Abraham lived nearly two thousand years before Jesus Christ in a place called Ur of the Chaldees. According to archaeology it was a city of no mean standing in the ancient world, enjoying a prosperous life style. However it was an idolatrous society. It was here that God appeared to Abraham and invited him to leave his country, his people and his family (Genesis 12:1). In return for his obedience God made certain promises to Abraham. We will discuss these shortly, sufficient to say at this point that none of the promises could be realized without Abraham having an heir. Unfortunately he was childless and seventy five years old.

The quality of Abraham’s faith is evident in the way he approached his dilemma, the Bible records that "He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief: but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform" (Romans 4:20-21). Abraham believed that God could do what was humanly impossible and he demonstrated his faith by responding with affirmative action and leaving Ur.

Is it any wonder then that Abraham is given such prominence in the Bible? Because of his faith Abraham, will become the "heir of the world" (Romans 4:13). And not only that, but everyone who is prepared to manifest the same quality of faith will receive the same reward. We read, "So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham" (Galatians 3:9).

The Importance of the Promises

We should not underestimate the importance of this man and the promises he received. Time and again the Bible directs our attention to the gospel preached unto Abraham. Consider the following verses:

"Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers" (Romans 15:8).

"Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust" (2 Peter 1:4).

"And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise" (Galatians 3:29).

From these verses we learn the following: the ministry and sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ confirmed, or ratified, the promises God made to the Fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. These promises provide the basis for eternal life and the opportunity to enjoy the promises is possible only by belonging to Jesus Christ.

What Abraham Was Promised

The Substance of the Promises

Beginning at Ur, God revealed His promises to Abraham over a period of fifty years. Each time further details of God’s promise were added or expanded upon. The following verses provide a comprehensive summary:

"And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great, and thou shalt be a blessing. And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed". (Genesis 12:2-3).

"And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him" (Genesis 12:7).

"And (God) said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore, and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice" (Genesis 22:16-18).

The old testament is full of future events, prophecy.
Please study the old testament.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back