Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Be still my soul

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Dave...

[youtube:2d13zq67]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9zHn4QSH-8[/youtube:2d13zq67]

"Be Still My Soul" is a popular revival hymn written by Katharine von Schlegel (1697-c.1768) and translated into English by Jane L. Borthwick (1813-1897). The music was composed by Jean Sibelius, from his music 'Finlandia.'

The scripture reference of this hymn is found in Psalm 46:10: "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Following centuries of stagnation in the Christian Church evangelism during the Middle Ages, congregational singing was discovered once again in the latter part of the 17th century when spiritual evangelism re-started with a movement known as the Pietistic revival in Germany. This movement was similar to the Puritan and Wesleyan movements in England.

A pastor of a Lutheran Church in Berlin, Philipp Jacob Spener, was the leader of this German movement. He was not a hymn-writer himself but greatly encouraged singing which provided immense hymnody revival in Germany during that time. The hymns from this movement were characterized with profound and rich Christian experience, genuine piety and faithfulness in the Scriptures.

The hymn-writer, Katharina Amalia Dorothea von Schlegel (born on October 22, 1697), was the outstanding figure of this spiritual revival. Little is known of her other than she was a Lutheran. From her surname ('von'), it can be deduced that she was of aristocratic birth. She may have been a canoness of an evangelical women's seminary. Schlegel contributed a number of lyrics to a collection of spiritual songs published. Although she wrote many additional verses for this hymn, most hymnals use just three stanzas. She died about 1768.

Be Still, My Soul was translated into English approximately 100 years after it was written by Jane L. Borthwick, a devoted religious and social worker in the Free Church of Scotland. Borthwick was born in Edinburgh in 1813, a noble supporter of home and foreign missions.

Back