Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is our answer in times of need.

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

Bible Study Best Bible Commentaries

What are the best single book commentaries on the New Testament? Has anyone heard of IVP and if they are any good?

There are many commentaries out there. Probably the best approach to finding one you like is to look at them online. Blue Bible (web site) offers free Bibles and some free commentaries. If you find one you like, you can buy a hard copy. But I don't know why you would do it because hard copes don't have links, etc. that make using them more useful.

But be careful because every work has a built-in theological viewpoint.

For the most part, I have given up on commentaries. I tend to rely more on Greek-English Lexicons and Theological dictionaries. These things also have built-in theological viewpoints, but since they are more focused on giving the definition of words and how they are used, there is less theological overburden.

Bottom line is you will still need to rely on the Holy Spirit to guide you to a proper understanding of the truth. He will never lead you astray.

What are the best single book commentaries on the New Testament? Has anyone heard of IVP and if they are any good?

Can't say as I've read any from IVP.

If I had to pick one, I'd say Word Biblical, although that's a touch on the scholarly side. The Pulpit Commentary is decent as a basic commentary set (mostly sermons, but the commentary is pretty good).

The commentary that Adam Clarke made is one of the most extensive commentaries I have ever seen, I would definitely recommend his

No matter what commentary you use make sure of what is being taught lines up with scripture as many twist scripture to have it line up with what they teach. Pray and ask the Holy Spirit guide you into all truths.

Back