Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible 101 Lesson 9A

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Jim Parker

Read Genesis 42 to 44

This part of the story starts with Jacob having to get his sons off their butts to take action. There was a great famine and if they don't do something, they will starve. Jacob asked them, "Why are you standing around looking at one another? Go to Egypt and buy some food before we all starve!" These were grown men but they still needed papa to tell them what to do.

Here we find what took place between Joseph and his brothers when they went down to Egypt to buy grain because of the famine which God had previously revealed to Pharaoh. They did not recognize their brother whom they had not seen for over 10 years. (A year or so in Potiphar's house, 2+ years in prison, 7 years of plenty and some time into the 7 years of famine.) All they knew was that he was the most powerful man in that part of the world (after Pharaoh) and that he was being very unfriendly toward them. He made them grovel and beg before him just as he had been shown that they would bow before him in his dreams. (Chapter 37)

So Joseph gave them a very hard time. He immediately accused them as being spys. They feared for their lives because of the things Joseph did to them which made them appear to be thieves. Then they were tested to the limit when Joseph told them that he would keep Benjamin as a slave and not allow him to return to is father, Jacob. They feared that it would be more than their father could bear.

There is a lot of drama portrayed in these three chapters. It's almost like a soap opera in which Joseph gets his revenge on his brothers for what they did to him.

Judah was the one who convinced his brothers to spare Joseph's life by coming up with the idea to sell Joseph to the Ishmaelites rather than to kill him. (Gen 37:26) And it is Judah again who steps up to prevent great distress to his father, Jacob, by offering himself as a slave rather than Benjamin. (Gen 44:33)

It is Judah who steps up to save lives and it is from the tribe of Judah the Jesus will come to save the lives of all mankind.

Questions:

What trick did Joseph play on his brothers to make them fear that Joseph would believe them to be thieves?

How did Jacob react when they told him that the next time they went to Egypt for food, they would have to bring Benjamin?

What trick did Joseph play to make it look as if Benjamin was a thief?

Oops,.. sorry,.. I almost forgot to reply to this.

1. Joseph accused of them being spies.

2. Umm,.. I do believe that he was afraid.

3. I'm having trouble finding this answer up there but I do believe that it had something to do with a golden cup or goblet or something.

1. Joseph accused of them being spies.
True. But that's not really a "trick." (Well.....kinda...)
The trick was sneaking the money they paid for the food into the sacks of grain. When they got home they found them and were afraid that when they went back they would be accused of stealing the money.
2. Umm,.. I do believe that he was afraid.
Yes.
Afraid of what?
3. I'm having trouble finding this answer up there but I do believe that it had something to do with a golden cup or goblet or something.
Right.

True. But that's not really a "trick." (Well.....kinda...)
The trick was sneaking the money they paid for the food into the sacks of grain. When they got home they found them and were afraid that when they went back they would be accused of stealing the money.

Yes.
Afraid of what?

Right.

Tbh with you I don't really get the full answer to number two. I know that it had something to do with their father not being able to bear it,.. but I remember in the real story of Joseph everybody thought that he was dead, (except his brothers who knew that they had really sold him to be a slave I do believe) so maybe that would be too much for his father to see him alive again. And yes, I did read the actual story in the Bible, but my memory is much more vivid on the Dreamworks movie. :lol

Tbh with you I don't really get the full answer to number two. I know that it had something to do with their father not being able to bear it,.. but I remember in the real story of Joseph everybody thought that he was dead, (except his brothers who knew that they had really sold him to be a slave I do believe) so maybe that would be too much for his father to see him alive again. And yes, I did read the actual story in the Bible, but my memory is much more vivid on the Dreamworks movie. :lol
Jacob lost his favorite son, Joseph. Now the ruler of Egypt wants Jacob's youngest son so Jacob was afraid that, like losing Joseph, he would also lose Benjamin. It would be more than he could take.

How did Jacob react when they told him that the next time they went to Egypt for food, they would have to bring Benjamin?
Jacob seemed to react gladly, because he originally thought Joseph had been killed. The story ends with Jacob meeting his son Joseph before death and then dying and being buried with his father in the land of Israel. We can know by what Jesus said that Jacob was definitely saved as Isaac and Abraham.

Back