Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible stated the earth is round when people think the earth was flat with 4 corners!!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

lynx

Isaiah 40:21 & 22 "Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been declared to you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in."

Isaiah understood that God sits above the "circle of the earth" or as could be translated "globe".

2)Job 26:7 "He stretches out the north over empty space And hangs the earth on nothing."
Job understood the idea that the earth is suspended in space.

3)Job 26:10 "He described a circle upon the face of the waters, until the day and night come to an end."
Job also understood the movement of the sun and moon in circular patterns.

4)Proverbs 8:27 "When He established the heavens, I was there, When He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep,"
The word circle here is translated from a phrase that is applied to the curvature of the horizon when on the open ocean. This is the same physical evidence used by the greeks some 1,000 years later to make their own observations about a round earth.

Re: Bible stated the earth is round when people think the earth was flat with 4 corne

How come no people interested in this discovery?

This prove Bible is the words of God, He created the earth, therefore he knows what shape is the earth long before the Greek.

Re: Bible stated the earth is round when people think the earth was flat with 4 corne

This prove Bible is the words of God, He created the earth, therefore he knows what shape is the earth long before the Greek.

There are many truths in the Bible that are ignored by non-believers.

There are many truths in the Bible that are ignored by non-believers.

Okay. But I thought this is a Christian forum......

The non-believers not only use tactic such as ignore the scriptures that reveal the truth, they can be much more aggressive.

Like the flat earth myth. The non-believers make such lie to discredit Christianity, when in fact, most churches didn't really accept the flat earth theory back then....

"It is He who sits above the circle of the earth"

I think this may have to do with the many possible meanings and technical ambiguity in this phrase.

"Above the circle of the earth" could mean that the earth is a sphere. It could also mean that the earth is flat, but with circular dimensions (like a pizza). The latter being more technically accurate with regard to the phrase, as the earth is not a circle, but a sphere. Two different things, as one is two dimensional, while the other is 3.

It could also refer to a circle that relates to, but is not actually the earth proper. For example, if the atmosphere was regarded as circular relative to the ground.

There are many more possibilities in what this phrase means exactly. It could even be metaphorical.

What I have said in no way states that the phrase does not indicate that the earth is spherical. Rather, I am pointing out the many different interpretations this phrase could infer.

The part about hanging the earth from nothing is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. That sounds like incredible foresight to me, at the very least.

PS. I am glad you didn't claim that "stretches out" was meant to refer to the big bang theory and cosmological expansion..... I just read a 12 page debate on that haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Lynx.

The flat earth society has a solid belief that the Earth is flat.

They deny all evidence otherwise, are they allowed to do that?

Yes they can, and they do. Any person may believe whatever

they choose to believe.

What shape the earth has is not true knowledge.

How old the earth is equally proves nothing to anyone.

Determining the origin of man is a senseless pursuit.

All these issues do not relate to the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is true knowledge, true life, this truth is revelation.

What is not known is revealed, is made known to us.

"It is He who sits above the circle of the earth"

I think this may have to do with the many possible meanings and technical ambiguity in this phrase.

"Above the circle of the earth" could mean that the earth is a sphere. It could also mean that the earth is flat, but with circular dimensions (like a pizza). The latter being more technically accurate with regard to the phrase, as the earth is not a circle, but a sphere. Two different things, as one is two dimensional, while the other is 3.

It could also refer to a circle that relates to, but is not actually the earth proper. For example, if the atmosphere was regarded as circular relative to the ground.

There are many more possibilities in what this phrase means exactly. It could even be metaphorical.

What I have said in no way states that the phrase does not indicate that the earth is spherical. Rather, I am pointing out the many different interpretations this phrase could infer.

The part about hanging the earth from nothing is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. That sounds like incredible foresight to me, at the very least.

PS. I am glad you didn't claim that "stretches out" was meant to refer to the big bang theory and cosmological expansion..... I just read a 12 page debate on that haha.

You are welcome. I think it is important that we can have some proofs of Bible to show to the unbelievers that the Bible is not against science.

It is time for us to clear the accusation that religious hold back the advancement of human race. The Bible is not a scientific book to teach us all science, but it certainly indicate very advance and modern science from the beginning, it is just human's error of mis-interpretation, Bible should be clear of the charge.

The Bible didn't directly say the earth is flat, none it is sphere, but the indication of round earth and hang in the space is significant, given the time, it is very advance. Job couldn't have known that, he is not scientist, unless it is God told him.

:)

Hello Lynx.

The flat earth society has a solid belief that the Earth is flat.

They deny all evidence otherwise, are they allowed to do that?

Yes they can, and they do. Any person may believe whatever

they choose to believe.

What shape the earth has is not true knowledge.

How old the earth is equally proves nothing to anyone.

Determining the origin of man is a senseless pursuit.

All these issues do not relate to the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is true knowledge, true life, this truth is revelation.

What is not known is revealed, is made known to us.

Hello Rainbows.

You are right, nothing more important than realize the Love of Jesus, he is the key to the truth and life.

Amen.

Isaiah 40:21 & 22 "Do you not know? Have you not heard? Has it not been declared to you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in."

Isaiah understood that God sits above the "circle of the earth" or as could be translated "globe".

2)Job 26:7 "He stretches out the north over empty space And hangs the earth on nothing."
Job understood the idea that the earth is suspended in space.

3)Job 26:10 "He described a circle upon the face of the waters, until the day and night come to an end."
Job also understood the movement of the sun and moon in circular patterns.

4)Proverbs 8:27 "When He established the heavens, I was there, When He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep,"
The word circle here is translated from a phrase that is applied to the curvature of the horizon when on the open ocean. This is the same physical evidence used by the greeks some 1,000 years later to make their own observations about a round earth.

1) The four corners of the Earth refers to the four cardinal points on the compass.

3) & 4) The circle that was inscribed referred to the accreation disk mentioned in Gen 1:2:

Gen. 1:2 And theearth was without form, (a spinning cloud of dust and gases) and void: (not yet valid as a planet;it is an accretion disk), and darkness:[choshek:obscurity] was upon the face of thedeep: [tehowm: the deep primeval abyss of rotating molten matter].

accretiondisk.jpg

And (the great Shechinah), the spirit, (i.e.; the pan-en-theisticNatural Laws of) God moved upon theface: [paniym: presence] of the"waters" (or the transitory rotating pieces of matter ringingaround the Sun: [mayim: Hebrew])

2) A ball rotating around a fixed pivot point requires a force to draw it towards the center, such as might be provided by a string.

But this same circular rotation around the Sun nas no "string," and is drawn toward the Sun by the invisible force of Gravity which attract the earth.

The shape of the Earth was common knowledge long before the Greeks.

You are welcome. I think it is important that we can have some proofs of Bible to show to the unbelievers that the Bible is not against science.

It is time for us to clear the accusation that religious hold back the advancement of human race. The Bible is not a scientific book to teach us all science, but it certainly indicate very advance and modern science from the beginning, it is just human's error of mis-interpretation, Bible should be clear of the charge.

The Bible didn't directly say the earth is flat, none it is sphere, but the indication of round earth and hang in the space is significant, given the time, it is very advance. Job couldn't have known that, he is not scientist, unless it is God told him.

:)

I have a feeling this is going to get moved to the Science forum, so while I still have a chance to respond... Yes! Exactly! Science and Religion are absolutely possible to reconcile. They deal with entirely different domains, but they both can and should agree on things.

I wish more people could understand that...

1) The four corners of the Earth refers to the four cardinal points on the compass.

3) & 4) The circle that was inscribed referred to the accreation disk mentioned in Gen 1:2:

Gen. 1:2 And theearth was without form, (a spinning cloud of dust and gases) and void: (not yet valid as a planet;it is an accretion disk), and darkness:[choshek:obscurity] was upon the face of thedeep: [tehowm: the deep primeval abyss of rotating molten matter].

accretiondisk.jpg

And (the great Shechinah), the spirit, (i.e.; the pan-en-theisticNatural Laws of) God moved upon theface: [paniym: presence] of the"waters" (or the transitory rotating pieces of matter ringingaround the Sun: [mayim: Hebrew])

2) A ball rotating around a fixed pivot point requires a force to draw it towards the center, such as might be provided by a string.

But this same circular rotation around the Sun nas no "string," and is drawn toward the Sun by the invisible force of Gravity which attract the earth.

Hello cupid dave!:):)
Thanks for all these good infos, I need that!

And Thank you for the support you have in other place, I wish I can rep everyone of your posts. They are excellent!

:thumbsup

I have a feeling this is going to get moved to the Science forum, so while I still have a chance to respond... Yes! Exactly! Science and Religion are absolutely possible to reconcile. They deal with entirely different domains, but they both can and should agree on things.

I wish more people could understand that...

I totally agree. God created the earth and the entire universe, it doesn't make sense if his words are contradict with science. Science is a good method to understand him and all his creation.:)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back