Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Bible words with the same meaning

J

John the Baptist

Some are well aware of Bible names used for satan in Revelation 12:3-9 that the Word of God uses, from Genesis through Revelation.

It is hard for me to realize when I did not know of this information. Then the other day there was an individual ask about the Word of 'Fold'. What are these meaning, or something to that effect, he asked?

Perhaps we need a list of Bible Words from throughout its pages for understanding what a Bible Word means? (such as, even comparisons, like a dog, Gentile or a dog animal)

Some here go all over the planet for stuff, maybe there are a couple here that could use God's time giving us the verse and Word which means the same thing?

---John

John the Baptist said:
Some are well aware of Bible names used for satan in Revelation 12:3-9 that the Word of God uses, from Genesis through Revelation.

It is hard for me to realize when I did not know of this information. Then the other day there was an individual ask about the Word of 'Fold'. What are these meaning, or something to that effect, he asked?

Perhaps we need a list of Bible Words from throughout its pages for understanding what a Bible Word means? (such as, even comparisons, like a dog, Gentile or a dog animal)

Some here go all over the planet for stuff, maybe there are a couple here that could use God's time giving us the verse and Word which means the same thing?

---John

your post here is a little confusing, i'm not sure what you are looking for, the title of the post leads one to believe you are looking for different words with the same meaning,

but then this statement "(such as, even comparisons, like a dog, Gentile or a dog animal) " suggests you are looking for same words with different meaning, in which case one could be literal, and the other spiritual or a symbol in other words, or perhaps you are looking for both??

if you are looking for either, i have this to offer: the word "fire", in Rev 11:5 is a symbol and it means "the Word of God":

Rev 11:5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.

while here in Exo 12:8 it's just a plain ol' fire(literal) and it means just that, "fire"

Exo 12:8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.

is that something like what you are looking for?

John the Baptist wrote:

One resource I use for such studies is IVP's Dictionary of Biblical Imagery - "An encyclopedic exploration of the images, symbols, motifs, metaphors, figures of speech and literary patterns of the Bible". One could also use center column references, the new treasurery of scripture knowledge, or any kind of topical bible that's indexed by scripture reference. Or you could look up the word in a bible dictionary.

Also I read something today I found interesting, that might be slightly related.

From http://fontes.lstc.edu/~rklein/Documents/gonzalez.htm
which is from:
From: González, Justo L. “How the Bible Has Been Interpreted in Christian Tradition.†In New Interpreter’s Bible, Vol. 1, 83-106. Nashville: Abingdon, 1994.
To Origen, the entire Bible is an allegorical document, and its unity is such that the entire document must be used to interpret each of its parts. This is a rather common hermeneutical principle, often expressed in our days in statements like "The Bible is its best interpreter," or "A text must be read in the light of its context." When Origen applies this principle, however, what he means is that, since every word has a hidden meaning, one must search throughout the Bible in order to find that meaning. R. P. C. Hanson has collected a few of the hundreds [90] of words to which Origen thus assigns an allegorical meaning:

"Horse" in the Bible usually means "voice"; "today" means "the present age"; "leaven" means "teaching"; "silver" and "trumpet" mean "word"; "clouds" . . . mean "holy ones"; "feet" mean "the counsel by which we tread the journey of life"; "well" means "the teaching of the Bible"; "linen" means "chastity"; "thighs" mean "beginning"; "unmixed wine" means "misfortune"; "bottle" means "body"; "secret" and "treasury" mean "the reason (11)."

(11) Hanson, R. P. C. Allegory and Event: A Study of the Sources and Significance of Origen's Interpretation of Scripture (London: SCM, 1959).

Back