Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Binding and loosing demons: Matt 16:19

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Talk about controversy! I have heard them in churches and small groups, ‘I bind you, Satan, in the name of Jesus'. These preachers use verses like Matt 16:19 to support their views.

In context, do binding and loosing have anything to do with Satan and his demons?

‘To “bind” … in rabbinical language is to forbid, to “loose” … is to permit’. The verbs for ‘bind’ and ‘forbid’ are future, perfect, indicative, indicating the binding and loosing has been completed – with continuing results. Jesus uses binding and loosing language to all of the disciples in Matt: 18:18. After his resurrection, Jesus’ repeats the same language (John 20:33), indicating this is not the special privilege given to Peter (Robertson 1930:134).​

This view also is supported by Friedrich Büchsel in The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament under the entries for dew (I bind) and luw (I loose) in Matt 16:19 and elsewhere,

Jesus does not give to Peter and the other disciples any power to enchant or to free by magic. The customary meaning of the Rabbinic expressions is equally incontestable, namely, to declare forbidden or permitted, and thus to impose or remove an obligation, by a doctrinal decision (Büchsel 1964.2:60).​

So every preacher or disciple who shares the Gospel of Christ for salvation is engaged in binding and loosing.

Satan and his demons are missing from this context. It has everything to do with calling people to repentance (being loosed) and warning them about continuing in sin and the ultimate eternal consequences.

I cannot find any Scripture to support the view that Christians are called upon to bind and loose Satan.

This exegesis may disappoint some, but I have to be true to the biblical language and its interpretation in context.

Oz

wondering
That language "I bind you, demon" is in fact not what Jesus would say. Do you remember that the demons were terrified of Jesus and were begging Him to let them stay? .. then why are people giving orders for demons to be bound ("tied fast") to a person? .. consider where that language became popular. Is it not through the pentecostal movement of the 70's? Certainly there is no scripture or traditional church writings promoting it. Rather, scripture says "a day acceptable to Adonai: to untie the yoke, to release the bonds of wickedness". Therefore, we are seeing that the house is falling into destruction because people are empowering demons in the name of Jesus. Any sane outsider will recognise that it is a house of haunt, a cursed thing, exactly what St. Paul warned of in Galatians 1:8-9, and in 1 Corinthians 14:23.

Hosea 4:6 Tree of Life Version (TLV)
6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
Since you rejected knowledge,
I will also reject you from being My kohen.
Since you forgot the Torah of your God,
just so I will forget your children.

So, what do we see? .. that indeed, the apostasy has been loosed on earth .. that is, the work of demons in the churches. Yes, although we see churches where such demonic activity is rife, nobody is stopping it! .. they are effectively let loose on earth .. and who is this "they"? .. of course, the thief of John 10:10. The ones in the heavenly es whom we wrestle against - those advancing to take the kingdom by force - and how? They know of course, that the human is weak, and it is through the human weakness against sin that they take their captives. For instance, did Herod not regret making a vow to Herodius when she asked for John the Baptists head? .. of course he did, but what one in that moment? .. of course, it was pride that got the better of him. If it were asked of me or you, what would the answer be? "Up to half of anything that I own, you may have, but the life of a servant of God is not mine to take". So how did that happen? .. how did sin advance against John the Baptist? Indeed, it is because the notion was loosed on earth.

Yet, the mystery of Christ is profound, and what He speaks of is a different thing (for, Matthew 11:11). Do not forget that Christ is the son of God. He is the Holy one, whom demons fear, and why? .. because He is able to deliver healing of the spul, and salvation - the absolute destruction of their empire! .. but, He also is now absent. (Or, is He?). Indeed, that is the mystery of the baptism "the life I live, is for Christ and it is Christ in me who does His works through me". Thus, when the adversary in the heavens attempts to steal the sovereignty of the son of God, do we permit (loose) or prevent (bind) that advancement? Of course we all would like to say that we stand against it, but in truth, what do we see in the churches? Division. What is the first question a person asks when we share the gospel with them? "What religion is this?". Christianity is not seen as a single religion, as it should be. It is seen as Orthodox or Catholic or protestant or reformed etc, and so we see a house is divided that cannot stand. Yes, I am saying that the religion of Christianity is nearly bound to fall, and why? It is because of precisely that God does not take pleasure in the death of the wicked, but desires that all shall come to repentance and be saved. In that reality we find the problem, precisely: God does not strike the wicked in order to do justice, yet the wicked strike the righteous in order to advance their wickedness. Where then is the salvation of Christ to be found? "Only those who do the will of my father shall enter heaven".

Yes, I am one who binds and looses, and the only way one can be stumbled on account of me, is by their own sin.

OK.
This is very interesting because I have a Catholic friend (all my friends are Catholic now) that has a spiritual advisor. We discussed this one time because I've never had the need for one --- I'm not saying this is a good thing; It must be my character type.

She told me that even if he tells her to do something that sounds contrary to God's will,,,,she should do it and HE would be responsible and not her.

Does this sound like Loosing to you? IOW, he is permitting her to do something and this will be accepted in heaven.

Sounds like flick-pass, questionable activity to me.:nonono

OzSpen said:
Didn't you read my post where I cited A T Robertson's exposition:
@OzSpen

I've read every word in this thread prior to posting my reply (as is my habit).

OzSpen said:
I'm not liking your attitude towards me. If it continues, I'll not reply.

/huh? Might that request be reciprocated? Not the veiled threat though. Ya just can't get rid of me that easily.

OzSpen said:
SH,
Instead of guessing, why don't you ...

Oz
I will reply per your request but in the future, kindly refrain from addressing me as "SH"; please see ToS. 1.2
REPLY: As the OP should know, JLB spoke in Post # 1543551 (Quoted below, emphasis mine):

What I’m saying is submitting ourselves to God is the first step in doing what we need to do, to stand against the devil, in whatever situation we are faced with.

To which came a response; the [Q?] from Boaz (addressed to JLB). (Quoted below, emphasis mine):
What is the second step?
Then came my "Guess" about the "2nd step" that our friend, JLB may have had in mind.

Resist. Prepare. Put on the armor would be my guess.

Your question followed. It's ironic that you suggest I should research by examining commentaries such as "... Robertson on James 4:7. See other commentaries on James 4:7..." [sic] when you don't seem to care to examine your own thread.
Cordially,
SparrowHawke​

Last edited:
Reactions: JLB
That language "I bind you, demon" is in fact not what Jesus would say. Do you remember that the demons were terrified of Jesus and were begging Him to let them stay? .. then why are people giving orders for demons to be bound ("tied fast") to a person? .. consider where that language became popular. Is it not through the pentecostal movement of the 70's? Certainly there is no scripture or traditional church writings promoting it. Rather, scripture says "a day acceptable to Adonai: to untie the yoke, to release the bonds of wickedness". Therefore, we are seeing that the house is falling into destruction because people are empowering demons in the name of Jesus. Any sane outsider will recognise that it is a house of haunt, a cursed thing, exactly what St. Paul warned of in Galatians 1:8-9, and in 1 Corinthians 14:23.

Hosea 4:6 Tree of Life Version (TLV)
6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
Since you rejected knowledge,
I will also reject you from being My kohen.
Since you forgot the Torah of your God,
just so I will forget your children.

So, what do we see? .. that indeed, the apostasy has been loosed on earth .. that is, the work of demons in the churches. Yes, although we see churches where such demonic activity is rife, nobody is stopping it! .. they are effectively let loose on earth .. and who is this "they"? .. of course, the thief of John 10:10. The ones in the heavenly es whom we wrestle against - those advancing to take the kingdom by force - and how? They know of course, that the human is weak, and it is through the human weakness against sin that they take their captives. For instance, did Herod not regret making a vow to Herodius when she asked for John the Baptists head? .. of course he did, but what one in that moment? .. of course, it was pride that got the better of him. If it were asked of me or you, what would the answer be? "Up to half of anything that I own, you may have, but the life of a servant of God is not mine to take". So how did that happen? .. how did sin advance against John the Baptist? Indeed, it is because the notion was loosed on earth.

Yet, the mystery of Christ is profound, and what He speaks of is a different thing (for, Matthew 11:11). Do not forget that Christ is the son of God. He is the Holy one, whom demons fear, and why? .. because He is able to deliver healing of the spul, and salvation - the absolute destruction of their empire! .. but, He also is now absent. (Or, is He?). Indeed, that is the mystery of the baptism "the life I live, is for Christ and it is Christ in me who does His works through me". Thus, when the adversary in the heavens attempts to steal the sovereignty of the son of God, do we permit (loose) or prevent (bind) that advancement? Of course we all would like to say that we stand against it, but in truth, what do we see in the churches? Division. What is the first question a person asks when we share the gospel with them? "What religion is this?". Christianity is not seen as a single religion, as it should be. It is seen as Orthodox or Catholic or protestant or reformed etc, and so we see a house is divided that cannot stand. Yes, I am saying that the religion of Christianity is nearly bound to fall, and why? It is because of precisely that God does not take pleasure in the death of the wicked, but desires that all shall come to repentance and be saved. In that reality we find the problem, precisely: God does not strike the wicked in order to do justice, yet the wicked strike the righteous in order to advance their wickedness. Where then is the salvation of Christ to be found? "Only those who do the will of my father shall enter heaven".

Yes, I am one who binds and looses, and the only way one can be stumbled on account of me, is by their own sin.
You bring up an interesting point....
The Jews were awaiting two Messiahs in the community of the Essenes, who had separated themselves totally for the Jews of the Temple, I guess because they didn't like how that religion was being taught...legality, perhaps other reasons.

One Messiah was the same one the Jews were awaiting and for which Jesus was rejected: The Kingdom of David on earth...the one that would release them from the power of Rome, the mighty warrior.

The other one was the Messiah that would return Judaism to its original form....one of worshipping the Lord in spirit and truth.
This Messiah was supposed to begin a new Kingdom on earth,,,the Kingdom of God. I've always believed Jesus came to begin a new world system....however I wish I could remember where I heard that he also believed that God would strike dead all the wicked and that only the just would survive.

Do you have any knowledge of this?
Or OzSpen ......

What is the second step?

Prayer, fasting, speaking God’s word against an unseen enemy that the Holy Spirit is leading my to deal with.

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints. Ephesians 6:14-18

And since we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, “I believed and therefore I spoke,” we also believe and therefore speak, 2 Corinthians 4:13

This charge I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 1 Timothy 1:18

JLB

I've always believed Jesus came to begin a new world system....however I wish I could remember where I heard that he also believed that God would strike dead all the wicked and that only the just would survive.

Do you have any knowledge of this?
I think the closest that we can find of Jesus saying that, is in Matthew 24:40-41 and Matthew 25:32. Jesus is describing the end times to His disciples, as being similar to the days of Noah. He also spoke of the parable of the Ten Virgins, which goes along to say that when the time of the end comes, those who are found unprepared are put to shame. In fact, it speaks of the taking away of them, as we might consider Matthew 13:40-43 does too.

Jesus' language is very rich and deep, no doubt making use of key words calling to mind prominent points of theology that He had imparted to His disciples over the previous few years, and as such, we are not immediately privy to that level of understanding (1 Corinthians 2:7) - and yet, His speech expresses an awareness that He will be heard by a wider audience (eg: Matthew 24:16-19,45-46).

So, 2,000 years later, we must learn from His advocate, The Spirit of Truth, who guides us into the same knowledge of those things (John 14:26). Therefore, the wider collection of scriptures become valuable for teaching us those things that Jesus had been describing (Psalms 119:105). I would suggest meditating on 1 Peter 4:17, as it goes along with Matthew 13:41, Matthew 24:49, Matthew 25:41-43 to reinforce the real purpose of Christianity, the reason Jesus laid down His life (John 12:32, Philippians 2:10, Philippians 3:21). Eventually the world will be redeemed and restored to paradise according to Revelation 21:3-4 "for the former things have passed away".

Back