Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit - anywhere in Old Testament?

Is there a case where someone in the Old Testament committed the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit? I see plenty of cases where the people were stiff necked towards the Spirit, but I don't know if I've found a case where a person didn't just lose the Spirit, but did so because of blasphemy?

Is there a case where someone in the Old Testament committed the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit? I see plenty of cases where the people were stiff necked towards the Spirit, but I don't know if I've found a case where a person didn't just lose the Spirit, but did so because of blasphemy?
I can't help but ask in return, even if they did, wouldn't this have been in ignorance?

I think blasphemy in ignorance is usually the case, assumed to be not the real thing in God's eyes, but worried about by the one who did it and by other fellow believers. For example, someone with OCD or mental illness may have blasphemous things going around in his mind but he doesn't completely declare and conclude that God is in fact evil so that he would not return in repentance again. This is all done in ignorance and on accident by the person with the mental illness. But man, a person who has decided in his mind and heart that he will not repent toward God because he claims God is evil, this isn't ignorance anymore, but long term free will defiance. I just wondered if any of the Old Testament characters did this very thing.

i can't think of anyone blaspheming the Holy Spirit in the OT -

i don't know that they really knew or understood the Holy Spirit - the OT mentions the Holy Spirit very few times -

i'm not sure they understood the Holy Spirit is a person rather than a force of God - so probably they were not able to blaspheme the Holy Spirit for those reasons

i can't think of anyone blaspheming the Holy Spirit in the OT -

i don't know that they really knew or understood the Holy Spirit - the OT mentions the Holy Spirit very few times -

i'm not sure they understood the Holy Spirit is a person rather than a force of God - so probably they were not able to blaspheme the Holy Spirit for those reasons

There might be others, but this is the only scripture I could find that speaks about blasphemy being against the Lord.

Leviticus 24:16 And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put to death.

In the OT the Jews were identified by keeping all the law. Even if one was broke all were considered broken and a curse brought on them. With Jesus came a better covenant and God's people were identified internally " The kingdom of God is within you", Luke 17:21.

Before Christ ascending up to the Father and God sending down the Holy Spirit there was no indwelling of the Holy Spirit. In the OT the Holy Spirit only fell on a certain few for God's purpose like Joshua Numbers 27:18, Samson Judges 13:24, 25; 14:6 and Saul 1 Samuel 10:9, 10 for a few examples.

Before Christ ascending up to the Father and God sending down the Holy Spirit there was no indwelling of the Holy Spirit. In the OT the Holy Spirit only fell on a certain few for God's purpose like Joshua Numbers 27:18, Samson Judges 13:24, 25; 14:6 and Saul 1 Samuel 10:9, 10 for a few examples.

Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow.
1 Peter 1:10-11

• the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ

JLB

There might be others, but this is the only scripture I could find that speaks about blasphemy being against the Lord.

Leviticus 24:16 And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put to death.

In the OT the Jews were identified by keeping all the law. Even if one was broke all were considered broken and a curse brought on them. With Jesus came a better covenant and God's people were identified internally " The kingdom of God is within you", Luke 17:21.

God asks for lawkeeping

Back