Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Book of Life

If you don't confess, and you don't overcome, your name will be blotted out of the book of life.
You can lose your salvation.
What do you think?

Revelation:4Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

5He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Psalms:
28Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.
Phillippians: And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

Revelation: 27And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Matthew: 32Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

Revelation 20: 12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

I think that it is very possible for us to lose salvation. I believe that once one is in the Book of Life, one is indeed saved, but also that one can be "blotted out".

However, I think there are also many promises on God's part that He will enable us to perservere in the faith, so while I think it is possible, the probability is quite small.

But, either God is seriously telling us our salvation is something we must cherish and preserve, or else He is guilty of "bluffing".

I don't think God bluffs.

As was said once our name is written in the Lambs Book of life we have salvation. However if the Lord says our name can be blotted out then yes we can have our name blotted out. If it not true it would not be true. However I would say it probally a diffecult thing to do I don't believe it would happen by accident.

OK, difficult to do, but, do you know which bible verses plainly tell us what we choose to do, or not do, that would put us into outer darkness, because we are unprofitable servants?

Several months ago, I posted in the End Times forum a piece on the origin of the Book of Life. Has anyone seen it? If you do, link it up here. I will also look for it when I'm "not so tired". 8-) All I can remember is, it dealt with the Book of Life as being an actual book the Jews (Israelites) possessed. Made sense to be, since Revelation is very Jewish in nature.

HI vic, I looked all through 'The end times' forum and didn't see any thing titled "Book of Life."

Bick

bacord said:
So then we are saved by works?

No,our faith in Jesus Christ, as our Saviour, saves us. After we are saved, we want to serve Him, is what my observations have been, so, we do good works, FOR the Kingdom of Christ.
We are either profitable servants, who use what Jesus gives us, or, we are wicked servants, unprofitable, and cast into outer darkness.

Thats what the Bible says.

Q: What is the "Book of Life"?

Does it refer to only those who are "saved"?

Yes. And, even the tears of the righteous, the born again, are recorded in the book of life.
The Bible says so.

Read up on it. It will strengthen you.

Are you born again, btw?

Biblereader said:
Yes. And, even the tears of the righteous, the born again, are recorded in the book of life.
The Bible says so.

Read up on it. It will strengthen you.

Are you born again, btw?

Are you referring to me?

It would help if you posted Scripture references for others to read up on.

Psalm 56: tears kept in a bottle, and in the Book of Life:
Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?

Phil. 4:3 KJV
Psalm 69:28

# Revelation 3:5
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
Revelation 3:4-6 (in Context) Revelation 3 (Whole Chapter)
# Revelation 13:8
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
Revelation 13:7-9 (in Context) Revelation 13 (Whole Chapter)
# Revelation 17:8
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
Revelation 17:7-9 (in Context) Revelation 17 (Whole Chapter)
# Revelation 20:12
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Revelation 20:11-13 (in Context) Revelation 20 (Whole Chapter)
# Revelation 20:15
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Revelation 20:14-15 (in Context) Revelation 20 (Whole Chapter)
# Revelation 21:27
And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
Revelation 21:26-27 (in Context) Revelation 21 (Whole Chapter)
# Revelation 22:19
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

GO TO BIBLEGATEWAY.COM and do a topic search.

Here is what I've gleaned from the Scriptures concerning "the book of life."

1)There are a number of scriptures where only "the book" is mentioned. We have to assume it is the "book of life." Evidently, it is God who is keeping a book of records.

Moses asked to be blotted out of His book if He, God, didn't forgive the Israelites for their sins,
Exod. 32:32; for God had said "whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book", Ex.32:33.

From this we can assume it is only names that are in His book.

God through Moses told the Israelites, that if any worshipped the false gods of other nations, curses would fall upon him, and "the Lord would blot out his name from under heaven," Deut.29:18ff. I assume it would be blotted out of His book.

FIRST USE OF "BOOK OF LIFE":
David writes in Psa. 69:28, "May they be blotted out of the book of life and not listed with the righteous." NIV.

Dan. 12:1: "Your people--everyone whose name is found written in the book--will be delivered."

Paul does write in Phil. 4:3, "...the rest of my fellow workers whose names are in the book of life."

In Rev. 3:5, John writes what the Lord says to the church in Sardis: "He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot his name from the book of life." NIV>

Rev. 17:8b: "The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast..." NIV,

Rev. 20:12: "And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened which is the book of life." NIV.

Rev. 20:15: "If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." NIV.

THESE VERSES SPEAK OF THE LAMB'S BOOK OF LIFE:

Rev. 13:8: "All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast--all whose names have not been written in the book of life belonging to the Lamb that was slain." NIV.

Rev. 21:27: "Nothing impure will ever enter it [New Jerusalem],....but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life."

MY CONCLUSIONS:
Paul mentions the book of life in Phil. 4:3, but never says anyone in the church/body of Christ could have their names blotted out. Why? Because we are chosen, predestined, called through God's spirit to believe the gospel. And further more, we are sealed by the Holy Spirit making its home in us.

IMO, none of the other verses can be applied to the church/body of Christ.

The "Lamb's book of life" may be just for those special Israelites and proselytes who will ocupy the New Jerusalem. I'm not sure. Maybe adding "Lamb" only identifies the book of life with "the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world."

God bless, and good studying.

MY CONCLUSIONS:
Paul mentions the book of life in Phil. 4:3, but never says anyone in the church/body of Christ could have their names blotted out. Why? Because we are chosen, predestined, called through God's spirit to believe the gospel. And further more, we are sealed by the Holy Spirit making its home in us.

IMO, none of the other verses can be applied to the church/body of Christ.

The "Lamb's book of life" may be just for those special Israelites and proselytes who will ocupy the New Jerusalem. I'm not sure. Maybe adding "Lamb" only identifies the book of life with "the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world."

God bless, and good studying.
Good job Bick. This is what my studies have shown me also. Couldn't have said it better myself. ;-)

There's a wiki here explaining the basics of the Book of Life. It's a good jumping off point for further research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Li ... _Roll-Call

Back