Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Born of Water and Spirit

J

J6o7h8n3

John 3:5- "Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

Hello everybody. I was curious as to the interpretation of this. When they talk about water are they talking about water baptism? I know being born of the spirit is being baptized in the spirit, but what does born of water mean? It could not possibly mean water as in water baptism because it has been proven in the bible a few times that it is not required for salvation, but to be born again in the spirit. Anybody care to share their understanding with what I lack to understand from this scripture? Thanks, John

Being born of the flesh is our physical birth into the sin nature. Jesus is speaking about being born again in order to enter the Kingdom of God. That birth is a Spiritual birth being born of God, the Spirit. Unless one is born of God, he/she will not enter the Kingdom of God.

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. John 3:5-7

One thing that I heard was that being 'born of water' meant physical birth.

The reason being is that when we are baptized, we are not 'born of water'. The water is merely a symbol representing the Spirit's place in our life, being dead to the old man but 'renewed in the Spirit'.

So technically, being 'born in the spirit' IS baptism.

Why would Christ say it this way? Isn't it redundant to say that man MUST be born of the water. Anyone who has lived doesn't really have a choice of being physically born.

The reason being is that the emphasise should be on the spirit. Man shouldn't only be born once, but TWICE. He must NOT ONLY be born of water (as every human being living would have been) but ALSO and most importantly, born of the Spirit.

Hmm, I think I have it somewhat. So everybody that is born into this world, christian or not, accepting christ or not is born of water automatically because it is the physical birth, but not everybody in this world is born of the spirit, because being born of the spirit takes believing in Jesus Christ, confessing, and receiving forgiveness? So that would mean there is only one thing all human's must go through to enter the kingdom of god, and that is being born of the spirit, since not everybody can be born of the spirit, but everybody can be born of water? Hopefully I got it? If not please be patient while I learn.

J6o7h8n3 said:
Hmm, I think I have it somewhat. So everybody that is born into this world, christian or not, accepting christ or not is born of water automatically because it is the physical birth, but not everybody in this world is born of the spirit, because being born of the spirit takes believing in Jesus Christ, confessing, and receiving forgiveness? So that would mean there is only one thing all human's must go through to enter the kingdom of god, and that is being born of the spirit, since not everybody can be born of the spirit, but everybody can be born of water? Hopefully I got it? If not please be patient while I learn.

Yes. Read through John 3 prayfully and meditate upon the verses of scripture that you have questions about, and pray to God asking him to give you understanding. He will.

J6o7h8n3 said:
John 3:5- "Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

Hello everybody. I was curious as to the interpretation of this. When they talk about water are they talking about water baptism? I know being born of the spirit is being baptized in the spirit, but what does born of water mean? It could not possibly mean water as in water baptism because it has been proven in the bible a few times that it is not required for salvation, but to be born again in the spirit. Anybody care to share their understanding with what I lack to understand from this scripture? Thanks, John

Hi John,

Maybe I can. First we do know that God the Holy Spirit has to quicken us by his word(the gospel). The word water in John 3:5 is referring to the gospel because that is the power of God unto salvation whom he will save. Water baptism cannot get us one step closer to salvation, it just simply a sign pointing to the real spiritual activity that God does in an indiviual's life.

John 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto [even] baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

This verse above is showing that as physical water puts away the dirt off of our flesh, so must God uses his word(gospel) to cleanse our sins, so we can become a new creature in Christ. Here is another example in Ezekiel 36 shows a beautiful picture of salvation.

Eze 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Hey guys,

We are told that we must be born of water, and of the spirit. Yet, only ONE baptism is commanded.

Ephesians 4:5 KJV
(5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Let's look at a passage from Paul, below, and see if we can determine if our involuntary, fleshly birth is this "born of water" mentioned, or if it is supposed to be our voluntary "immersion in water" in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, wherein one ALSO receives the Holy Spirit.

Acts 22:6-16 KJV
(6) And it came to pass, that, as I made my journey, and was come nigh unto Damascus about noon, suddenly there shone from heaven a great light round about me.
(7) And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
(8) And I answered, Who art thou, Lord? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest.
(9) And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.
(10) And I said, What shall I do, Lord? And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do.
(11) And when I could not see for the glory of that light, being led by the hand of them that were with me, I came into Damascus.
(12) And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good report of all the Jews which dwelt there,
(13) Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him.
(14) And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
(15) For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
(16) And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Please notice that Paul, above, after being blinded by light from the glory of Christ's presence, which was visible even to his companions, and after speaking, and being spoken to by Christ, Himself, never seemed to consider himself BAPTISED in the SPIRIT.

But, even if Paul, in the back of his mind, did consider this, thankfully, Ananias was there to explain to him the proper manner of baptism.

Comments, anyone?

In Christ,

farley

Being born of "water" implies physical birth and cannot represent a type of "spiritual birth" or (baptism of water), nor can it imply ONE spiritual birth for several reasons. Water and spirit are two separate births, not one. Otherwise we are born three times, born once physically, born again by water baptism and born once more spiritually. Furthermore, water and spirit cannot imply one birth associated with the one birth of being born again as I will demonstrate. If water represents "water baptism" then water and spirit would imply "two births", in other words we are born once physically, and two more times by water baptism and the spirit, however this is not the case. And if water and spirit represents a one birth of being "born again", then another problem arises as I will further demonstrate. John 5:5 when examined in context ultimately proves that "water" implies physical birth. If water presents baptism, then baptism is "ESSENTIAL" for salvation. Christ clearly did not say that one must be either born or be born again by "baptism", He said "water". He had wished to say that one is born by baptism, He probably could have done so, or used the word "baptized as in (Mark 16:16)-He did not, either in v. 5, or in the rest of His conversation with Nicodemus (3:1-21). Instead, in addition to upbraiding Nicodemus for unbelief (v.12), not a lack of baptism, He asserted that all who believe, not those baptized, have eternal life: "whosoever believeth in him [Son of Man] should not perish, but have eternal life...whosover believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life...He that believeth on him is not condemned:but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." (3:15-18). One must read baptism into v.5, since it is not mentioned in the verse, or in the rest of the conversation, and do so despite the contradiction it would create with Christ's statements a few verses later (v.14-18). The context of John 3:5 indicates that the "water" refers to a physical birth. It is certainly natural to think of the word "born" in association with the physical birth, the primary meaning of the word (Luke 1:13; Matthew 2:4). Nicodemus had just asked how one can "enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born" (John 3:4), and the LORD, in His reply, concedes that physical birth, being "born of water," is indeed necessary, but one also needs to be "born of the spirit", a spiritual birth. The "water" is the amniotic fluid of a mother's womb which surrounds the preborn child; when a woman's "water" breaks," childbirth has begun! "Water" is also used to represent physical birth in 1 John 5:6,8; Christ "came by water and by blood" (v.6), by "water" in His incarnation and physical birth, and "blood" in His bloody death on the cross. In the Old Testament, Job 38:8 refers to ocean water "br[eaking] forth, as if it had issued out of the womb" (see also v. 9-11; 3:10). Water is compared to the procreative and birth process in Proverbs 5:15-18 and in the Song of Solomon 4:12-15. The association of "water" and childbirth is also found in ancient literature outside the New Testament. The Lord Jesus Christ told Nicodemus he needed to be "born again" (v.3)-he had already been born physically, but he still needed to be born spiritually. While Nicodemus did not yet understand the nature of the second birth in his reply to Christ's statement, he understood well that the first birth was Childbirth: "How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" (v.4). Christ then repeated that one must have both physical birth ("born of water") and spiritual birth ("born of the spirit") to enter the Kingdom of God (v.5). He paralleled the statement of v.5 in v.6: "That which is born of the flesh [the first birth, physical birth], is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit [the second birth, "born again"] is spirit. (John 3:6). Verse five and six demonstrate that being born of water is synonymous with being born of the flesh, which is the physical birth of v.3,4, and both verses contrast this physical birth/first/water/flesh birth with spiritual second birth by the power of the Holy Spirit ("born again," v.3/"of the spirit," v.5/ "of the spirit," v.6). Verse seven continues the comparison, mentioned in v.3,4,5, and 6, between physical and spiritual birth: "Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again" (John 3:7). Christ affirmed that Nicodemus had indeed been born physically-that was not in dispute-he needed only the second, being "born again". Then in v,8, the Lord assumed that all had received physical birth, but "every one [out of the group that had the first birth] that is born of the spirit" possessed a Divinely-wrought spiritual change that passed human understanding, so that men could "not tell whence it cometh, and wither it goeth". Furthermore in John 1:9-15, in this passage, the first birth, being "born of the flesh," is mentioned for all people ("every man that cometh into the world," v,9, "born...of blood...of the will of the flesh...of the will of man," v.13) Secondly "water and spirit" refers to 2 births and not referring to "one birth". And if I can ultimately prove that water and spirit refers to 2 births, water therefore cannot refer to being "born again" or asscociated with it at all.
TWO BIRTHS, thus proving water must imply "physical birth", to assert that the indentity of the birth of water and the birth of the spirit on the basis of the lack of the preposition ek (of) between the word "and" (kai) and "the spirit" (pneumatos) Four veses in the bible other than John 3:5 employ the order ek=noun, kai=noun:Matthew 23:25 (yemousin ek harpages kai akrasias, "full of extortion and excess, "two different sins"), Luke 2:4 (dia to einai auton ex [ek] oikou kai patrias Dabid, "because he was of the house and lineage of David, the use closest to synonymous), Romans 3:30 (dikaiosei peritomen ek pisteos, kai akrobustian dia tes pisteos, "shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith," a use radically different, although with a different syntactical emphasis), and last but not least we have Hebrews 7:12 (ex [ek] anagkes kai nomou metathesis ginetai, "there is made of necessity a change of the law," another example of radical difference with different syntactical emphasis). These biblical examples evince that noun substantives following ek and kai possess no necessary identity because the word ek is not repeated after the kai. In other words, if we were to suggest that "born of water" and the birth of the Spirit refer to the same event or are in accordance (born-again [and] water baptism) on account of the lack of the repetition of ek we neglect to mention that the construction presented should be in John 3:5 to distinguish births, ek+noun+kai+ek+noun, does not appear in any verse in the scripture whatsoever. There are 52 verses where (a total of 57 times) en, followed by kai within three words, govern two entities, this CLEARLY supports the disjunction between a birth of water and one of the spirit in John 3:5. In conclusion, since water and the spirit are two distinctive births, water must refer to a physical birth.

God Bless!

Excellent post (Omega).
salute.gif

Omega:So much trouble to say alot and say so little!All that trouble to try and "prove" water and spirit as two births to dismiss the necessity of baptism did little but show your preconceived bias toward what the Bible teaches. Water and the Spirit are the 2 ELEMENTS involved in the new birth; not 2 diffferent births! Get it? 1 birth, 2 elements (water and Spirit).Read Acts 2:38 and see if you get the connection.According to your view of John 5, did Jesus answer Nicodemus' question about entering a second time into his mother's womb? Also, why do you consider Jesus a babbler by telling a grown man that in order to enter the kingdom he would have to be first born physically? (a big DUH here!)Look again at the passage. Jesus says a MAN must be born again. Nicodemus asked how when he is old. Jesus then clarifies by telling him that being born again consist of water and the Spirit. Simply compare verses 3 and 5 and notice the similarities. In verse 3, Jesus says born again and in verse 5 He says born of water and the Spirit. He says the same thing except for this change, how hard is that to understand?

Jesus is very plain about the manner in which to see and enter the Kingdom of God. It is by being born again, which is to be born from above, which is to be born of God. Being born of water is being born of the flesh, and being born of the Spirit is being born of God. Simple. Any other understanding is a lack of understanding the truth that Jesus is teaching.

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. John 3:5-8

No one is born of God unless God draws them to Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit.

Nice post Omega.

J6o7h8n3,

I would recommend studying every passage in the Bible on this subject, or any subject, before trying to draw a conclusion as to it's meaning.

When Jesus, Himself, was baptized by John the Baptist, IMMEDIATELY upon RISING from the WATER, the Holy Spirit descended as a dove upon Him.

Mark 1:10 KJV
(10) And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:

As someone explained above, one baptism = two elements: 1) water, and 2) Spirit.

Clearly, one must be born twice, and baptized once, to become a Christian!

Keep studying until you are sure that you get this right, your life depends on it!!!

In Christ,

farley

Collier said:
Omega:So much trouble to say alot and say so little!All that trouble to try and "prove" water and spirit as two births to dismiss the necessity of baptism did little but show your preconceived bias toward what the Bible teaches. Water and the Spirit are the 2 ELEMENTS involved in the new birth; not 2 diffferent births! Get it? 1 birth, 2 elements (water and Spirit).Read Acts 2:38 and see if you get the connection.According to your view of John 5, did Jesus answer Nicodemus' question about entering a second time into his mother's womb? Also, why do you consider Jesus a babbler by telling a grown man that in order to enter the kingdom he would have to be first born physically? (a big DUH here!)Look again at the passage. Jesus says a MAN must be born again. Nicodemus asked how when he is old. Jesus then clarifies by telling him that being born again consist of water and the Spirit. Simply compare verses 3 and 5 and notice the similarities. In verse 3, Jesus says born again and in verse 5 He says born of water and the Spirit. He says the same thing except for this change, how hard is that to understand?

One birth two elements? Take a look at the context of John 3:5-8

• John 3:3 - (Birth #1) born the first time, (Birth #2) born again[/*:m:b3a55]
  • John 3:4 - (Birth #1) born in the mother's womb, (Birth #2)born the second time[/*:m:b3a55]
  • John 3:5 - (Birth #1) born of water, (Birth #2) born of the spirit[/*:m:b3a55]
  • John 3:6 - (Birth #1) born of the flesh, (Birth #2) born of the spirit[/*:m:b3a55]
  • John 3:7 - (Birth #1) born the first time, (Birth #2) born again[/*:m:b3a55]
  • John 3:8 - (Birth #1) all people, (Birth #2) some born of the spirit[/*:m:b3a55]

Born of water and of the spirit cannot represent 2 elements of 1 birth since it reads born of water and "of" the spirit, not "water and spirit". Instead of looking for the comparison within 3 and 5 take a look at the entire passage. Look at the context of John 3:3-6, from verse three to verse 8 it makes the parallel distinction between being born physically and spiritually. You call my interpretation "bias" when all the while trying to establish a connection between John 3:5 and Acts 2:38 while neglecting innumberable passages which mentions solely of being "born of the spirit" (John 3:8; 1 John 2:29; 1 John 3:9; 1 John 4:7; 1 John 5:1,4,18), none of those passages includes the element of baptism.

God Bless!

The derrogatory remark was by your assertion of the passage. How much faith would you put into a person that told you before you could get a drivers license or fishing license or marriage license that you would have to be born physically? Yet, that is exactly what you have the Master Teacher doing! There is the derrogatory statement you accuse me of.You ignore the parallel between verses 3 and 5. Jesus says be born again, Nicodemus asked how and Jesus said born of water the Spirit (notice the "of" you referred to before the Spirit is in italics- which means it was added by the translators and not in the original manuscript). It makes no difference about the "of" though because Jesus is still clarifying His earlier statement so Nicodemus will understand. There are many more passages we can address that speak of becoming new and I will address them later, it is getting late!

Collier said:
The derrogatory remark was by your assertion of the passage. How much faith would you put into a person that told you before you could get a drivers license or fishing license or marriage license that you would have to be born physically? Yet, that is exactly what you have the Master Teacher doing!

You completely ignored the parallel between physical birth and spiritual found in every verse in John 3:3-8. Your analogy of licenses to the Kingdom of God is poor, since the context of the passage dealt with "BIRTH". What does being "born physically" have anything to do with getting a license, what does being "born physically" have to do with entering the Kingdom of God? Birth is being discussed in that passage, not licenses. Whether you believe that your remark of (DUH!) is justified, do the scriptures tell us to reprove others by showing them that their stupid? You true colors are beginning to show!

Matthew 23:25 - Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

Full of extortion and excess
Born of water and of the Spirit.

Lets exclude the "of" in water and "of" the spirit, it would still read "born of water and the Spirit" (excluding of), now compare that passage gramattically to Matthew 23:25! Extortion and excess are two different sins, not one. Unless you believe that they are two elements of 1 sin.

God Bless!

Collier said:
You ignore the parallel between verses 3 and 5. Jesus says be born again, Nicodemus asked how and Jesus said born of water the Spirit (notice the "of" you referred to before the Spirit is in italics- which means it was added by the translators and not in the original manuscript). It makes no difference about the "of" though because Jesus is still clarifying His earlier statement so Nicodemus will understand. There are many more passages we can address that speak of becoming new and I will address them later, it is getting late!

BTW, you comparing verse 3 and 5 doesn't compare to what the Entire Context of verse 3-8 says, a vain attempt to insert your bias opinion or the (commentaries of others) something which simply isn't there. The entire passage deals with being born "AGAIN", do you know what again means? I will use your license analogy, however I will use it with context. If someone tells you that in order for you to renew your drivers license, you need to take the test "AGAIN", how many times would you have took the test? 2 TIMES. Now since Jesus explicitly tells Nicodemus that he needs to be born "AGAIN", how many births would that make? 2. Jesus then proceeds to say in verse 3 that no man can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born "AGAIN", now how many times would AGAIN make? 2. Now on to verse 4 where Nicodemus asks Jesus "can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" How many times would a second time make? 2 Now onto verse 5, Jesus says that unless a man be born of "water and the spirit", he cannot enter the Kingdom of God. Jesus then proceeds to say in verse 6 that "that which is born of the flesh is flesh" and "that which is born of the spirit is spirit", 2 BIRTHS! The entire passage deals with two births, not one. And please stick with the subject of this thread which is John 3:5, first try and refute my rebuttal then move on. So far your argument is taken completely out of context. The two elements of 1 birth of John 3:5 is getting old and distorts the context of that entire passage which focuses on "TWO BIRTHS", i.e., being BORN "AGAIN" Unless you believe that a man can "see" or "enter" the Kingdom of God without being born physically. You either see it but won't admit it, don't see it, or your ears are "tickled" and you only want to hear what appeals to you.

God Bless!

At least you agree that one must be born again. While we may differ as to the rest of the passage, we can start off on common footing.Do you agree that Jesus often compared the unknown to the known so man could understand things better? Do you agree that man who thinks in physical terms has difficulty understanding spiritual matters?Looking at the whole text does nothing to change what I have been saying, it only strengthens it. Jesus calls the natural birth a birth "of flesh". However, Jesus said a "MAN" must be born again and that a "MAN" must be born of water and the Spirit (2 elements= 1 birth). All men have been born physically, no question about that. However, we are talking about the new birth (being born again) and you cannot get around Jesus' own explanation of the new birth in verse 5. You can try to avoid it and shift the focus away from Jesus' words but the fact remains that verses 3 and 5 are parallels. One birth (new birth) in verse 3 and the same birth explained in verse 5.Take care and I appreciate the discussion.

It may be possible Christ was making a distinction between the heavenly creatures and man. Angels will not inherit the Kingdom of God nor will any other heavenly being. Satan's not pleased with that idea at all and hates us for it.

Born of the water is the physical birth. It has nothing to do with baptism.

Christ Is Teaching Kingdom Doctrine To The "Bride"

Hi John:

Thank you for asking these very good questions.

John Quoted >> John 3:5- "Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

John’s Question >> Hello everybody. I was curious as to the interpretation of this. When they talk about water are they talking about water baptism?

To gather the correct context of Christ’s teaching we must realize that He is teaching ‘kingdom doctrine’ pertaining to the only gospel of the Four Gospels, which is the ‘gospel of the kingdom.’ Matthew 4:23, Matthew 9:35, Matthew 24:14, etc.. The doctrinal components of that gospel message include repentance, confession of sins and baptism in water for the forgiveness of sins. Mark 1:4-5. John’s Baptism (#1 in water) prepares the ‘disciple’ (Acts 19:1) to then receive the second baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus (Acts 8:16, Acts 19:5) and the Holy Spirit through the laying of hands (Acts 8:17, Acts 19:6). Here are the elements of the gospel of the kingdom, which has saved nobody in almost 2000 years.

--------------------------
This is NOT our gospel for today. Nobody has been saved by this Gospel message for almost 2000 years.
------------------

I. Gospel of the Kingdom (Matthew 4:23 , Matthew 9:35, Matthew 24:14, Acts 8:12). Gospel to the Circumcised. Galatians 2:7.

1. The good news that the ‘kingdom of heaven’ is ‘at hand’ (Matthew 3:2, Matthew 4:17, Matthew 10:7). i.e., ‘preaching the kingdom.’ Acts 20:25.
2. According to Prophecy; seen by the OT Prophets. Isaiah 40:3, Malachi 3:1.
3. Obtain eternal life by keeping the commandments. Matthew 19:16-17.
4. Water baptism (during confession) for the ‘forgiveness of sins.’ Mark 1:4, Acts 2:38. (John’s Baptism; Acts 19:3; name of the Father; John 1:6, 33, Matthew 28:19.)
5. Baptism in the ‘name of the Lord Jesus’ (Acts 8:16, Acts 19:5), ‘name of the Son’ (Matthew 28:19)
6. Receive the Spirit through the baptism in the ‘name of the Holy Spirit’ (Matthew 28:19) through the laying of hands (Acts 8:17, Acts 19:6).
7. Justified by ‘works and not by faith alone.’ James 2:20-24.
8. Kingdom disciples are under Mosaic Law (Matthew 5:18, James 2:10).
-----------------

Note that John’s Baptist is precept #4, with the second baptism in the name of the Son appearing in precept #5 in preparation for the third and final baptism of the Holy Spirit appearing in precept #6. All of those things are components parts of the ‘gospel of the kingdom,’ which has nothing to do with our salvation today. Paul’s gospel for us today looks like this:

---------------------
This is our gospel for today that many believe is the ‘only’ gospel of the New Testament, but which actually was revealed to Paul after his conversion in Acts 9. Note that Christ preached the ‘gospel of God’ in Mark 1:14-15, which is gospel #1 above.
--------------------

II. Paul’s “my gospel†(Romans 2:16, Romans 16:25, etc.). Gospel to the Uncircumcised. Galatians 2:7.

1. The gospel of the grace of God. Acts 20:24.
2. According to the revelation of the Mystery; NOT seen by the OT prophets. Romans 16:25.
3. Saved by God’s grace through faith APART from works. Ephesians 2:8-9.
4. Sins forgiven through the redemption IN Christ (Romans 3:24) and His shed blood (Ephesians 1:7).
5. Our ‘one baptism’ (Ephesians 4:5) is done by the ‘one Spirit’ (Ephesians 4:4) into the ‘one body’ (1 Corinthians 12:13), which is into “Christ’s body.†1Corinthians 12:27.
6. We receive the Spirit when hearing (Rom. 10:17*) and believing (Ephesians 1:13-14) Paul’s Gospel by ‘hearing with faith*.’ Galatians 3:2.
7. We are justified by faith apart from works. Romans 4:4-6.
8. We are under grace and not under law. Romans 6:14.
-----------------------

Note that every plank of this doctrinal outline contains an opposing precept to the ones above for the ‘gospel of the kingdom.’ We cannot mix these components together from both gospel messages to create our own version that DOES NOT SAVE. The gospel of the kingdom includes works, works and more works. Paul’s gospel (#2) must be accepted by faith APART from works and adding just one VOIDS (1 Corinthians 1:17) the power of the cross to save.

John >> I know being born of the spirit is being baptized in the spirit, but what does born of water mean?

Do not confuse the ‘gift of the Holy Spirit’ (Acts 2:28) from the laying of hands and the gospel of the kingdom with the Holy Spirit sealing us “IN Him†(Ephesians 1:13-14) for the ‘day of redemption’ (Ephesians 4:30). The “one Spirit†(Ephesians 4:4) baptizes us into the “one Body†(1 Corinthians 12:13), which has nothing whatsoever to do with water. None of the seven ‘ones’ of Ephesians 4:4-6 are visible to the naked eye, including the ‘one baptism’ of Ephesians 4:5.

John >> It could not possibly mean water as in water baptism because it has been proven in the bible a few times that it is not required for salvation, but to be born again in the spirit. Anybody care to share their understanding with what I lack to understand from this scripture? Thanks, John

Your first assertion there is incorrect. Christ commands water baptism for salvation of those obedient to the ‘gospel of the kingdom’ here:

“And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.†Mark 16:15-16.

Peter is preaching repentance and water baptism for the ‘forgiveness of sins’ in Acts 2:38 after Calvary, just like John the Baptist did from the beginning (Mark 1:4-5). Peter teaches that “baptism now saves you†(1 Peter 3:21), which is part of the ‘gospel of the kingdom,’ (#1 above) which again has NOTHINGo do with Paul’s Gospel #2. We must rightly divide Christ’s commands ‘to’ the Kingdom ‘bride’ (John 3:29) from those given by Paul to the mystery ‘body’ (Ephesians 5:30) of Christ in the world today. We are crucified with Christ (Galatians 2:20) and God has raised us up with Him (Colossians 3:1-3) and seated us “in†the heavenly places “in†Christ Jesus (Ephesians 2:6) even now. Christ is teaching something altogether different in the verse you quote above.

Thank you again for asking these very good questions,

In Christ Jesus,

Terral

Back