Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can true Christians be demon-possessed?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I told my pastor I was paranoid of the unpardonable sin and possibly experienced scrupulosity. Then he mentioned if I really feared this, he can 'exorcise the demon'.

Now that really freaked me out. Is he implying I am demon-possessed?

I always thought Christians can never be demon-possessed.

I am so confused now. What am I supposed to do?

Help, really worried now.

A 'true' Christian is one in which the Spirit of God lives.

It is not possible for the Holy Spirit and an unclean, evil or demonic spirit to dwell together.

A true Christian posesses the holy spirit, so my answer is No.

I believe a demon is speaking thoughts into your head so that you question whether you are saved or not, but if you genuinely accepted Christ then I dont agree that its possible that you may be demon posessed. As the previous poster stated, we cannot have both the holy spirit and a evil spirit together but one or the other. I have been saved for 6 years now after accepting Christ and there was times where I would question the very same things, but I noticed alot of this questioning started coming after I commited some sin's I knew I shouldnt be doing which opened a door for Satan to start accusing me. Just start telling the Devil some scripture and make him back off. Satan and his demons thrive off fear.

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12

Spot-on so far.
The prevailing Christian thought, based on solid biblical doctrine, is that a Christian can NOT be demon possessed. There is noway that Satin can inhabit where the spirit of God dwells.

Interstitially, this very subject has come up to me all this week in one venue or another. Is it demon week or something?

I often wonder though, what people are referring to when discussing demon possession. I say this only because I hear people refer to demon possession when it comes to certain mental illness and such.

When I think of demon possession, I think of that which takes over our moral fortitude. Such things can certainly start in the mind, but I would say they are more things that we choose, knowingly or otherwise, to allow rather than that which we might be afflicted with; such as a mental illness which is more in tune to the fallen world. (Open discussion on that)

GuitarIntro, do you think your pastor was using the term 'exorcise the demon' as a figure of speech perhaps? I'm concerned hearing that a pastor would say that.

I am really confused with what my pastor mentioned. I believe I am a Christian and that God is with me.

The other day, I told him I feared the unpardonable sin. I also told him that I had blasphemous thoughts enter my head, but doesn't that happen to some Christians as well? Isn't that what the devil does to guilt us?

Do you think demon-exorcism is necessary for me? The situation seems overblown and that freaked me out big time.

GuitarIntro said:
I am really confused with what my pastor mentioned. I believe I am a Christian and that God is with me.

The other day, I told him I feared the unpardonable sin. I also told him that I had blasphemous thoughts enter my head, but doesn't that happen to some Christians as well? Isn't that what the devil does to guilt us?

Do you think demon-exorcism is necessary for me? The situation seems overblown and that freaked me out big time.

You 'believe' you are a Christian? What makes you believe that? There are many who believe they are Christians. But one who is born of the Spirit of God will know without any shadow of doubt.

NO NO AND NO, you CANNOT be possesed by a demon and be also filled with the spirit of god (holy spirit) christ would drive it out. and forget you have commited the unpardonable sin, commiting it requires you to 100% harden your heart towards god permanently, in other words, if you are scared you commited it, then you can rest assured you have not, you would have to die with great hate in your heart towards god to commit it.

There are many who believe they are Christians. But one who is born of the Spirit of God will know without any shadow of doubt.

Doubts can creep in. Especially with the often contradictory teachings within the church about what saves us.

Once when I got caught up with a cult, before I was able to break-away, they had me doubting my Christianity as well.

This is why we need to worship both in Spirit and in truth. The truth is, if we believe that Jesus is God's begotten Son, that He came to die to take away our sins, that He is resurrected and sits in heaven and we've asked forgiveness for our sins, the we can say with full assurance that we are Christians.

Feelings can come and go, and doubts can enter in, but God is faithful.

am really confused with what my pastor mentioned. I believe I am a Christian and that God is with me.

If you fear the unpardonable sin, then dont worry, you havent commited it. Also if blasphemous thoughts enter your head that is definitely what the devil whispers into our head. Blasphemous thoughts happen to me and other Christians also but when they enter in, try to shake those thoughts loose and tell the devil to get lost. Sometimes it can be difficult. Do I believe demon-exorcism is needed for you? I dont think so unless there is something I am missing. Perhaps you can ask your pastor exactly what he meant and ask him to explain?

Doubts can creep in. Especially with the often contradictory teachings within the church about what saves us.

Once when I got caught up with a cult, before I was able to break-away, they had me doubting my Christianity as well.

This is why we need to worship both in Spirit and in truth. The truth is, if we believe that Jesus is God's begotten Son, that He came to die to take away our sins, that He is resurrected and sits in heaven and we've asked forgiveness for our sins, the we can say with full assurance that we are Christians.

Amen! I agree with you handy

JohnEboy1983 said:
am really confused with what my pastor mentioned. I believe I am a Christian and that God is with me.

If you fear the unpardonable sin, then dont worry, you havent commited it. Also if blasphemous thoughts enter your head that is definitely what the devil whispers into our head. Blasphemous thoughts happen to me and other Christians also but when they enter in, try to shake those thoughts loose and tell the devil to get lost. Sometimes it can be difficult. Do I believe demon-exorcism is needed for you? I dont think so unless there is something I am missing. Perhaps you can ask your pastor exactly what he meant and ask him to explain?

[quote:2lni3s9b]Doubts can creep in. Especially with the often contradictory teachings within the church about what saves us.

Amen! I agree with you handy[/quote:2lni3s9b]

I agree with both of you and well said :thumb

Okay, so I finally emailed my pastor and he emailed me back.

Apparently he was implying that if I thought the guitar amp was demon possessed, he could do an exorcism on it. He said that he was not implying I was demon-possessed and he also stated that Believers cannot be demon-possessed. So, I am okay!

Regardless, thank all for their responses. Sometimes email can cause misunderstandings.

Okay, so I finally emailed my pastor and he emailed me back.

Apparently he was implying that if I thought the guitar amp was demon possessed, he could do an exorcism on it. He said that he was not implying I was demon-possessed and he also stated that Believers cannot be demon-possessed. So, I am okay!

Regardless, thank all for their responses. Sometimes email can cause misunderstandings.GuitarIntro

I am happy to see you got that all cleared up so there is no misunderstanding.

GuitarIntro said:
..I always thought Christians can never be demon-possessed..

Christians can certainly be demon-OPPRESSED, meaning we're all under continual demonic attack whether we're Christians or not, (remember Satan even tried to tempt Jesus) but Christians can resist such oppression much better than nonchristians.
As regards Christians being actually possessed, it depends what's meant by possessed. I'd define 'possession' as being under demonic control to a large degree, and true Christians certainly don't fall into that category.
Jesus said "Satan has no hold on me" (John 14:30), so he's the role model we must try to emulate.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back