Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Can We Know the Future? The Lure Within Social Media

Focus on the Family

Focus on the Family
RSS Feed
How would you like to know the future? That question has been tempting humans since the beginning of time. And now, social media has taken that desire for knowledge and used it to lure young people straight into witchcraft.

Divination: Can We Know the Future?​

Divination is the practice of seeking knowledge of the future, or the unknown, by supernatural means, and is contained under the larger umbrella of witchcraft. A reader recently shared that she has found herself “addicted to watching Tarot card readers” online. Divination comes in many forms; astrology, Tarot readers, and psychics, just to name a few. But they all claim to do the same thing – give you information about your future.

God’s view of divination is quite different. Many of the nations that surrounded Israel in the Old Testament practiced divination and God repeatedly warned the Israelites to not do the same thing. “…for these nations, which you are about to dispossess, listen to fortune-tellers and to diviners. But as for you, the Lord your God has not allowed you to do this.” (Deut. 18:14)

Notice God didn’t say that it wasn’t real. But He has repeatedly told His people it was something they were not to participate with. We can even go back to the tree in the Garden of Eden (Gen 3: 4-6). The one tree God told them to stay away from was “the tree of knowledge of good and evil.” Satan tempted Eve by telling her the knowledge gained from that particular tree would make her “like God.” Satan still tempts people in the same way–by offering knowledge–apart from God.

Divination Practices Are All Around Us: The Quest to Know the Future​

At my local Barnes & Noble, in a wide-open inviting area right off the main aisle entitled “Self-Transformation.” But don’t be fooled. It’s the witchcraft section. The prominent labels of this section include: Chakras/Crystals, Astrology, Divination, Dreams, Books about Tarot, Tarot Cards, Paranormal, AfterLife and Paganism (Witchcraft).

Every time I go, I see young people sitting on the floor in this section, thumbing through these books. They don’t even have to buy them to go looking inside for morsels of information that will send them down a dangerous path.

When you start looking at social media, and what is available to view, it’s even worse. TikTok, which is arguably the most used platform among young people today with more than 113 million U.S. users, has live tarot card readers, psychics and spells – all available to watch at all hours of the day. Users search with hashtags and the number of searches gives you a clue as to how popular certain words or phrases are. The #witch hashtag boasted 23.4B and #tarot 49.1B. That’s “billion.” It’s a staggering number. Especially when you compare with #prayer which was only 8.3B.

What kinds of divination are on social media?

Astrology/Horoscopes​

We’ve moved well beyond the days of the horoscopes in the newspaper. Now you can scroll social media and find hundreds of people to follow that will offer daily horoscopes or tell you about how the moon and stars will affect your day. They present these readings as if the moon, stars, and when you were born dictate what happens in your world, which as believers, we know is false.

But truly, when you look at the social media numbers, Tarot is a far bigger concern.

Tarot Readers​

There are countless tarot readers online who read cards live and then those videos are made available on their feeds. Young people can also learn to read them for themselves simply by watching and listening and they can easily buy Tarot cards at local bookstores. This often gives teens the impression that it’s just a fun activity, but some teens may take the information far more seriously or begin to depend on it.

Psychics​

The search for psychics on social media was lower than Tarot, but it still clocks in at 6.8B. You don’t have to be brave enough to wander into that strange parlor downtown anymore. Now, a simple curiosity in the subject can lead teens to quickly and easily view psychics in action. And they just might hear things that make it all seem very real.

Curiosity Can Lead in Dangerous Directions​

While there is a very clear desperation for wisdom and understanding present in our culture today, there are also many who might be lured in by simple curiosity.

When we pause and watch a video, or like a post, the social media algorithms quickly offer up more of the same types of content. Curiosity could cause a young person to be inundated with witchcraft in all those forms of divination.

We have a very natural, and human, longing for direction, wisdom and clarity. It’s important for young people to understand that there is nothing wrong with feeling that way. The issue at hand is this: where do you go to seek answers for those honest questions?

Learning to Seek God​

God does want to give us wisdom, direction and clarity and promises us in His word that “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you” (James 1:5 NIV)

Growing in wisdom and understanding is a life-long pursuit and one that the Lord intends for us to pursue in and through our relationship with Him. All of those forms of divination above are like shortcuts, but they are shortcuts designed by the enemy to derail us and our relationship with God. We can never trust what “the father of lies” offers us (John 8:44).

God brings wisdom to us through many means; reading His Word, fellowship with other believers, worship, and prayer. And the Lord often will give us wisdom and understanding in pieces. Perhaps you keep running across a single Bible verse, and then someone in your home group shares a relevant story, and then, that worship song at church on Sunday mentions the very same thing! God draws us closer and closer to Him with beautiful pieces that only He can put together for us as we pursue Him.

Why doesn’t God tell us the future?

Humans have a tendency to run off and do things on our own.​

Think about it. If God told you that you’ll live by the ocean and work at a snow cone shop, it would be pretty straightforward to go do that all on your own. But maybe you were to do that at sixty and you’re twenty. God knows the beginning from the end. He knows the precise timing of everything and most importantly, He is the only one who knows what’s best for us. The Lord leads us step by step out of His gracious kindness towards us.

Encouraging our kids to prioritize their relationship with God, and making clear and definite room to really hear Him, is vital. While our children were growing up, my husband and I declared one summer that Sundays would be tech-free. The kids weren’t thrilled but they adapted – they always do! But making space to really be quiet and undistracted is a good practice for us all!

We don’t need to know the future – we need to know Him.

The more we get to know Him, the more we can avoid those temptations to go after insider knowledge – especially knowledge that can lead us into enemy territory.

God does give us glimpses of the future.​

He created us in unique and beautiful ways and we can get glimpses of what God has in store for us simply by seeing how He shaped us! For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. (Rom. 11:29 ) and they are inside of us and our kids. Explore as a family the different make-ups and giftings in each of you. (And it’s never too early – or too late – to do this!)

Consider:

How can you take the strengths and giftings you see and further develop them?

How can you take something that might be a weakness and strengthen it?

God doesn’t waste anything.

Make a practice of looking at how every experience we go through can be beneficial to us. Maybe your child tried a soccer team and it just wasn’t for him. But maybe he did learn how to run faster or maybe he grew in confidence even though it wasn’t for him. God can take anything we do and use it for our good (Rom. 8:28) and our future!

The Bible gives us so many precious assurances. Create a promise wall in your home and add Scriptures to it of meaningful promises to your family members. Then visit it often and allow it to become a prayer wall.

We don’t know what the future looks like, but we know who holds the future.

The post Can We Know the Future? The Lure Within Social Media appeared first on Focus on the Family.

Continue reading...

This will be one time where I disagree with a FOTF position, and rather strongly.

God never dissuaded His people from wanting to know the future, even regarding their own personal lives. In fact, His people have always known the future much more accurately than those who practiced occultism. He OWNS this arena, because only He has the power to make things come to pass exactly as He prophesies. Demons will only ever be as accurate as He allows, because if He determines to circumvent their will then they are powerless to stop Him.

Operating in prophecy is and always has been the divine right of God's people, and those who teach against it essentially damn humanity and all who would hear them into relying on demonic entities if they would wish to know the future regarding their own personal lives, hence why more and more are turning to occultism now while Christianity is increasingly on the decline. I regard this to be a damnable teaching, and so far divorced from Biblical understanding as to disqualify them from teaching on other matters as well. It is extremely irresponsible IMO, and paints Christians into a corner of supposedly needed to rely on a God with zero supernatural power and/ or zero interest in communicating to His people prophetically.

The prophetic is NOT the domain of the demonic, and never has been. It belongs to God, and those who teach otherwise are completely out of touch, not only on this but likely on many other issues as well.

The future is death. Thats what we have to look forward to. To suffer miserably in this life and expire like any other animal. That is our fate. My only solace is a vane hope that I will be able to ask God why he did this to us. I just want to know why.

The future is death. Thats what we have to look forward to. To suffer miserably in this life and expire like any other animal. That is our fate. My only solace is a vane hope that I will be able to ask God why he did this to us. I just want to know why.
Shut up. You're not me. No matter how much you want to be. I know what is true. I was meant to be here. I am a child of God. My soul belongs to Him. You can't have it.

Hi Riven,
What's going on?
What you're speaking of in the above posts is felt by all of us.
We can't understand fully how the world paradigm was set up by God.
It's even possible that satan has a lot of power and works his wishes too.
I'm not saying that I believe this...but that I don't understand everything fully.

Jordan B. Peterson says that anyone who does not expect to suffer in this lifetime
will be sorely disappointed. Seems like we all certainly will. Who knows why?
No one.

When priests/pastors go to comfort persons that have a death in the family or a sick person, the number one question is: Why did Go do this to me? There is no answer. We'll have to ask God, as you've stated above.

Satan is not to be fooled around with. Stay close to God.
Expect suffering.
Also expect the joy of knowing God through His visible Son, Jesus.
Don't let the evil one have the victory.

Pray always.
How?
Keep God in your mind.

Don't despair brother , God is with you ! The trials of this life may be many but His grace is sufficient .
At my lowest point in my Christian walk one evening I thought I was completely ship wreaked . Only to find out at the next sunrise God knew my future and was with me all along .

Jeremiah 29:11, NIV For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

Isaiah 46:10, ESV declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’

Hi Riven,
What's going on?
What you're speaking of in the above posts is felt by all of us.
We can't understand fully how the world paradigm was set up by God.
It's even possible that satan has a lot of power and works his wishes too.
I'm not saying that I believe this...but that I don't understand everything fully.

Jordan B. Peterson says that anyone who does not expect to suffer in this lifetime
will be sorely disappointed. Seems like we all certainly will. Who knows why?
No one.

When priests/pastors go to comfort persons that have a death in the family or a sick person, the number one question is: Why did Go do this to me? There is no answer. We'll have to ask God, as you've stated above.

Satan is not to be fooled around with. Stay close to God.
Expect suffering.
Also expect the joy of knowing God through His visible Son, Jesus.
Don't let the evil one have the victory.

Pray always.
How?
Keep God in your mind.
I dont know what to say. I've been suffering and the alcohol makes me feel better. It brings down the wall between me and everyone else.

There's a part of me that believes what I said. That all we have to look forward to is death in this world. But there's another part of me that knows that isn't true. We have souls and we are more than what we appear to be. I felt compelled to correct myself in that moment. Really, it felt like I was correcting Satan. It felt like when Jesus crushed the head of the snake when he was in the meadow or the garden, whatever it was. Thats it.

Sorry, I'm working through this as I type. No hangover today and this cup of coffee is just so good. Whole beans is just delicious.

Heh, anyway... I'm sorry for letting it spill over into the forum. It's something I've been dealing with privately for a few weeks now. I know what it feels like when God leaves. It's dreadful. But he didn't give up on me. He came back into my life and I felt his hand guiding me to the right path once again.

I'm happy I found this forum. I've met so many good people. Thank you for being patient with me.

Don't despair brother , God is with you ! The trials of this life may be many but His grace is sufficient .
At my lowest point in my Christian walk one evening I thought I was completely ship wreaked . Only to find out at the next sunrise God knew my future and was with me all along .

Jeremiah 29:11, NIV For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

Isaiah 46:10, ESV declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’
Thanks, Hawk.

Honestly, that's what it feels like. Being in a terrible storm at sea. I'm trying my best to just survive and keep the boat from sinking. But then there's times when I look to the sky and think, is that all you got?

It's a vicious cycle.

I dont know what to say. I've been suffering and the alcohol makes me feel better. It brings down the wall between me and everyone else.

We all feel like what you said in your post no. 8 at times.
Alcohol makes you feel better, but it kills us a little bit at a time.
I know a man, about 55 or so- older than you - he's been an alcoholic for as long as I know him, about 17 years.
He IS happy all the time. Keeps a bottle of Jack Daniels under the front seat of his car. That's what does it.
But does he have anything he can really be happy about? He has a wife and daughter and lives a nice enough life.
Maybe we're just never happy? Maybe we let the evil one attack us too much. I don't know. I don't even like how alcohol tastes, but I understand how I'd like to check out every now and then. But you know, it passes after a while and then I don't think about it till next time. But every time, I know the feeling will pass.

There's a part of me that believes what I said. That all we have to look forward to is death in this world. But there's another part of me that knows that isn't true. We have souls and we are more than what we appear to be. I felt compelled to correct myself in that moment. Really, it felt like I was correcting Satan. It felt like when Jesus crushed the head of the snake when he was in the meadow or the garden, whatever it was. Thats it.

Sure. Every bad message comes from that thing in the Garden.
Maybe instead of denying death and suffering we should be embracing it somehow....accepting it but being joyful anyway. We have to find our own way on how to do this. For me, it's just being nice to persons...everybody has their trouble and need a nice smile, if nothing else. Or help people even more if you can. Whatever way you feel you can.

Sorry, I'm working through this as I type. No hangover today and this cup of coffee is just so good. Whole beans is just delicious.

Heh, anyway... I'm sorry for letting it spill over into the forum. It's something I've been dealing with privately for a few weeks now. I know what it feels like when God leaves. It's dreadful. But he didn't give up on me. He came back into my life and I felt his hand guiding me to the right path once again.

I'm happy I found this forum. I've met so many good people. Thank you for being patient with me.
I've been a Christian many years now. I don't feel like so much like I used to when I first got saved.
I was on fire - I think you know what I mean.
Then He just becomes a part of your life and you know He's there whether you "feel" Him or not.
Do you know about the Dark Night of the Soul ? It's when you desperately want to feel the presence of God but you don't.

But we know He's there anyway.

We all feel like what you said in your post no. 8 at times.
Alcohol makes you feel better, but it kills us a little bit at a time.
I know a man, about 55 or so- older than you - he's been an alcoholic for as long as I know him, about 17 years.
He IS happy all the time. Keeps a bottle of Jack Daniels under the front seat of his car. That's what does it.
But does he have anything he can really be happy about? He has a wife and daughter and lives a nice enough life.
Maybe we're just never happy? Maybe we let the evil one attack us too much. I don't know. I don't even like how alcohol tastes, but I understand how I'd like to check out every now and then. But you know, it passes after a while and then I don't think about it till next time. But every time, I know the feeling will pass.
I don't know if we're ever truly happy in this life. I envy those that have had a "normal" life. I saw and experienced things at a young age that I shouldn't have. No one st age ten should see a dead child being lowered into the ground. It ruins you. It really does. Part of you dies.

Sure. Every bad message comes from that thing in the Garden.
Maybe instead of denying death and suffering we should be embracing it somehow....accepting it but being joyful anyway. We have to find our own way on how to do this. For me, it's just being nice to persons...everybody has their trouble and need a nice smile, if nothing else. Or help people even more if you can. Whatever way you feel you can.
I'm not afraid to die. When I had that cat accident last November, the doctor came in and said, well, your injury is very serious. There's a chance your heart may be damaged and you could have a heart attack. I knew somehow this wasn't going to happen. But a part of me hoped it did. I could finally go home and be with Jesus. Explain to him that I was sorry for not getting it right in this life.

I've been a Christian many years now. I don't feel like so much like I used to when I first got saved.
I was on fire - I think you know what I mean.
Then He just becomes a part of your life and you know He's there whether you "feel" Him or not.
I never did feel on fire for God, even after being saved. I felt... relief. A calmness I hadn't felt before. Like I had finally found the truth and was honest enough with myself to embrace it.

Do you know about the Dark Night of the Soul ? It's when you desperately want to feel the presence of God but you don't.
More than you know. I've felt the air die around me. Spiritual death is awful. You feel like a vampire. Still living, but truly dead inside. Never have I felt more alone than when God left after I rejected him.

I was fortunate that he returned and didn't give up on me. About a week later, I felt his presence again guiding me back to truth. It's been a rollercoaster ride of emotions.

Lost all interest in alcohol tonight. Just like that. I feel like God is working in my life. For the first time in a while, I'm going to pray. I wanted to thank you all so much for putting up with me. I'm so happy I discovered this site. You're a great bunch.

I don't know if we're ever truly happy in this life. I envy those that have had a "normal" life. I saw and experienced things at a young age that I shouldn't have. No one st age ten should see a dead child being lowered into the ground. It ruins you. It really does. Part of you dies.

Hi Riven,
Was busy a couple of days. Sorry for delay.

I don't know anyone that has had a normal life. I don't even know what that is.
I met a friend I don't see all the time yesterday, and when she saw me she just started crying.
Trouble with her daughter, her daughter's fiancee, and now her husband has a tumor.
This seems to be the way things go.
The trick is learning how to ACCEPT what comes our way and how we REACT to it.
She's reacts like this.
Others are still joyful (not happy) and are able to smile and get on with their lives.
I think it's what you expect from life, and when you don't get it you'd like to go back and change everything.
But it can't be changed...just accepted.

I like this prayer - I'm sure you know it: Serenity, Courage, Wisdom.

il_794xN.3480472280_fsss.jpg

I'm not afraid to die. When I had that cat accident last November, the doctor came in and said, well, your injury is very serious. There's a chance your heart may be damaged and you could have a heart attack. I knew somehow this wasn't going to happen. But a part of me hoped it did. I could finally go home and be with Jesus. Explain to him that I was sorry for not getting it right in this life.

Wow. What a great doctor! The news that a heart could stop at any moment must certainly have been a great aid in your attitude to get better!! Crazy.

You're too hard on yourself.

I never did feel on fire for God, even after being saved. I felt... relief. A calmness I hadn't felt before. Like I had finally found the truth and was honest enough with myself to embrace it.

Oh....that's so nice too.
Finding the truth is what counts.
We lose sight of it at times...

More than you know. I've felt the air die around me. Spiritual death is awful. You feel like a vampire. Still living, but truly dead inside. Never have I felt more alone than when God left after I rejected him.

I was fortunate that he returned and didn't give up on me. About a week later, I felt his presence again guiding me back to truth. It's been a rollercoaster ride of emotions.
I understand. Really.
But, you know, as I've said, God is always around.
Happily for you, your able to feel His presence.

Wow. What a great doctor! The news that a heart could stop at any moment must certainly have been a great aid in your attitude to get better!! Crazy.

You're too hard on yourself.
I was more worried about my mom who was sitting there with me. I didn't want her to panic. To her credit, she didn't. I've never seen her so composed.

As for the doctor, they tend to be that way here in the States. Very direct, no sugar coating. The transferred me to a trauma center where I shared a room with an elderly Italian man who only spoke Italian.

A nightmare for the nurses because they couldn't communicate with him. They had to call someone on the phone who spoke Italian to translate. He got up in the middle of the night and stood there stareing at me. I'm thinking, "please don't attack me. I really don't want to fight with a broken sternum."

So, thankfully he diverts his attention to the hall, and began trying to open doors. He eventually succeeded and the nurse was like, "oh my God! What area you doing?! You have to go back to your room!"

It was wild. Thankfully, there was this good looking nurse there to keep me company. I didn't envy her job taking care of that guy. I cracked a few jokes to brighten up her day a little. Well, it was night, but you know what I mean. Lol.

Back