Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Charitable confusion?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Northman

So a little while back i was sitting with the wife and one of those tear-jerker commercials comes on to do with volunteering and children and whatnot. The wife says "i dont do anything, i wish i was able to volunteer for things". I gave her a funny look, she gave me a funny look. I had to tell her about all the marvelous things she does, wether its taking sliced oranges over to the kids playing soccer in the park next to our house or selling what seems like all our old things to young families for peanuts. The list of course went on as it does with all our wives.

Days passed, my ear was to the ground although not consciously. I was hearing more and more, mostly all from women, that they felt they werent doing enough to help out their communities. It was a bit of a shock. The tenders of the little ones not feeling like they are doing enough?

Question part. Does this resound with anyone? I mean is there an air out there that if you arent spending time in a homeless soup kitchen or sending money to africa then you arent adequate? The idea that if your time isnt managed by someone then its not time at all? Not saying any of these things are bad or not to be done by any means. It sort of struck me as a spiritual attack on folks. Extreme unwarranted guilt trip type thing. Not from an actual pinpoint source though.

Hum.... I've heard things like this from the pulpit where preachers and churches will incite the congregation to volunteer for mission work. I don't see anything wrong with it, but I always chuckle when someone says; "Just imagine what we could do for God "IF" we only BLANK?"

Politicians use this technique, so do private charities, but here is the main and plain of it, if God's will is completely sovereign, then Gods will is not waiting on any man to do anything. Gods will will do what Gods will will do and Gods will be done. However that might also include us feeling the need to do something through guilt.

God speaks to the heart of mankind. If someone feels the need to take action, or feels inadequate for not doing something, then they should listen to that.

It sort of struck me as a spiritual attack on folks. Extreme unwarranted guilt trip type thing. Not from an actual pinpoint source though.
I agree. But it's often a spiritual attack from the 'do good' atheists and unbelievers of the world who are busy rescuing mankind from a horrible God who let's bad things happen to people (not serving him as they think they are doing). Ironically, atheists and unbelievers who are sure God either does not exist, or only exists according to their personal beliefs about him and how he does not really demand righteous behavior.

For me, the guiding principle in this matter of helps is found here:

10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

I think we need to examine ourselves when the opportunity arises to help others (in the way YOU have been gifted to do that) and you turn away.

Thank you for the responses and insight, much appreciated.

@Jethro Bodine Totally missed the prospect that it is an attack on God himself. Adds quite a bit more to consider.

God speaks to the heart of mankind. If someone feels the need to take action, or feels inadequate for not doing something, then they should listen to that.

You will never hear any arguement from me on this when its proper. I guess i didnt see it as a holy guilt at all, more like just another thing to be uselessly stressed about for those whos plates are already fullish.

Back