Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christian Marshal Arts in AU?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
J

JasMate

Firstly howdy ya'all from down under! :)
I have been trying to locate a Christian based Marshal Arts school over here in Australia for a while but can't seem to find one near my area. I live on tahe central coast of NSW, near Sydney. I need a Christian based school because I don't want to get into the "spiritual" side of a non-Christian based school.

Any help locating an instructor or school over here in the land of OZ would be great help,

Thanks a bundle - JasMate

Hey there JasMate,

I don't live in Australia (I'm in Canada) but I'm in the martial arts so I thought I'd pitch something in...

You said you couldn't fine a Christian-based martial arts school in your area...so I'm guessing you did research what was available. Did you use Google or the Yellow Pages? If you haven't, they're pretty good sources. If you have and still couldn't find anything, I guess I can say (out of my own experience) that a non-Christian based martial art does not necessarily mean it will make you deal with anything "spiritual" that has to do with another religion. The Karate dojo I go to is secular, there is nothing religious in there at all. We bow out of respect to one another and to our sensei (out of respect, once again, not worship). It isn't partial to any religion, and is a very good dojo.

Have you looked into trying out a secular dojo? If you have a strong desire to learn martial arts, and you can't seem to find a Christian-based one that is relatively easy to get to, then I suggest you look into something like that.

Just my two cents...

JasMate said:
Firstly howdy ya'all from down under! :)
I have been trying to locate a Christian based Marshal Arts school over here in Australia for a while but can't seem to find one near my area. I live on tahe central coast of NSW, near Sydney. I need a Christian based school because I don't want to get into the "spiritual" side of a non-Christian based school.

Any help locating an instructor or school over here in the land of OZ would be great help,

Thanks a bundle - JasMate
I don't think you can become a true master of the martial arts unless you embrace the whole concept which includes the meditation, and mind discipline which is taught. You can learn the moves but you will never reach that pinnacle unless you devote your whole being too it.

Joudie said:
Hey there JasMate,

I don't live in Australia (I'm in Canada) but I'm in the martial arts so I thought I'd pitch something in...

You said you couldn't fine a Christian-based martial arts school in your area...so I'm guessing you did research what was available. Did you use Google or the Yellow Pages? If you haven't, they're pretty good sources. If you have and still couldn't find anything, I guess I can say (out of my own experience) that a non-Christian based martial art does not necessarily mean it will make you deal with anything "spiritual" that has to do with another religion. The Karate dojo I go to is secular, there is nothing religious in there at all. We bow out of respect to one another and to our sensei (out of respect, once again, not worship). It isn't partial to any religion, and is a very good dojo.

Have you looked into trying out a secular dojo? If you have a strong desire to learn martial arts, and you can't seem to find a Christian-based one that is relatively easy to get to, then I suggest you look into something like that.

Just my two cents...
Some good advice there Joudie, thanks! I did look at google & yellow pages but I suppose the Karate school is't going to state they are Christian if they intend to win converts or at lease be a powerfull witness. Yes I will look into the secular schools, only problem is if they want me to do something that goes agains my beleifs such as meditation or the like I would need to walk out or just explain to them my situation which I am sure they would not respect.

reznwerks said:
I don't think you can become a true master of the martial arts unless you embrace the whole concept which includes the meditation, and mind discipline which is taught. You can learn the moves but you will never reach that pinnacle unless you devote your whole being too it.
Too true, how right you are. I don't really want to become the Marshal Arts guru of the universe though I am happy just to be "good" not "great" so I am quite able to defend myself and family against a few would be attackers.

Martial arts is a science.

This science is deemed occultic to mainstream Christianity because it is unexplainable through the Judaic paradigm.

If you end up finding a "Christian" martial arts studio about the only thing you might learn is defense of the Bible through the Sword of Truth (Word)... lol

Meditation, mindfulness, detachment from the physical body, yogic breathing, yoga stretches - This is the foundation of martial arts and it is ALL eastern based.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back