Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Christianity VS. Atheism

rEVOLVEr said:
Carpathian said:
Nope. i want to SEE an ape evolve into a human being with my very own eyes. I don't want misinterpreted data analysis over a group of people who had oddly shaped skulls ( because no two skulls are alike). I want to witness this "phenomenon" with my own eyes. I want to see a monkey gradually become a fully aware human being. You can analise as much data as you like, if you can't see it, then how do you know it's there? In fact, why stop there. I should see if a fish can grow limbs for whatever purpose I can think of :) :biglol And who's gonna stop me? Muahahahahaaa

Nobody will stop you. Actually, I encourage you to study science so you can come up with arguments that are worth to listen to.
Well that's not the point of studying something. if i want to argue I'd go be a lawyer. I just want to see where evolution is coming from. I feel like everything that is, was. :study

Carpathian said:
rEVOLVEr said:
Carpathian said:
Nope. i want to SEE an ape evolve into a human being with my very own eyes. I don't want misinterpreted data analysis over a group of people who had oddly shaped skulls ( because no two skulls are alike). I want to witness this "phenomenon" with my own eyes. I want to see a monkey gradually become a fully aware human being. You can analise as much data as you like, if you can't see it, then how do you know it's there? In fact, why stop there. I should see if a fish can grow limbs for whatever purpose I can think of :) :biglol And who's gonna stop me? Muahahahahaaa

Nobody will stop you. Actually, I encourage you to study science so you can come up with arguments that are worth to listen to.
Well that's not the point of studying something. if i want to argue I'd go be a lawyer. I just want to see where evolution is coming from. I feel like everything that is, was. :study
I'l;l say one thing. Itallian Wall lizards and the London Underground Masquito are examples of speices that have evolved. They became their own speicies recently. We didn't just discover them. We actually watch one speicies turn into a new speicies. Look them both up.

Carpathian said:

You don't need to be a lawyer. A mature adult should be capable of logical thinking.
Just because you "feel like everything that is, was" doesn't mean that you're right. You are trying to disprove science with your "feelings". That doesn't work.

salvation.jpg

http://www.theinvisiblechurch.ca/

turnorburn

054 - THE AWFUL DEATH OF A PROFLIGATE

The following account of an affecting, mournful exit, and the reflections that accompany it, are solemn and impressive. We shall present them to the reader in the words of Doctor Young, who was present at the melancholy scene:

Is not the death-bed of a profligate a prime school of wisdom? Are we not obliged, when we are invited to it? for what else should reclaim us? The pulpit? We are prejudiced against it. Besides, an agonizing profligate, though silent, out-preaches the most celebrated the pulpit ever knew. But, if he speaks, his words might instruct the best instructors of mankind. Mixed in the warm converse of life, we think with men; on a death-bed, with God.

There are two lessons of this school written, as it were, in capitals, which they who run may read. First, he that, in this his minority, this field of discipline and conflict, instead of grasping the weapons of his warfare, is forever gathering flowers, and catching at butterflies, with his unarmed hand, ever making idle pleasure his pursuit; must pay for it his last reversion: and on opening his final account (of which a death-bed breaks the seal), shall find himself a beggar, a beggar past beggary; and shall passionately wish that his very being were added to the rest of his loss.

Secondly, he shall find that truth, divine truth, however, through life, injured, wounded, suppressed, is victorious, immortal: that, though with mountains overwhelmed, it will, one day, burst out like the fires of Etna; visible, bright and tormenting, as the most raging flame. This now (oh, my friend!) I shall too plainly prove.

The sad evening before the death of the noble youth, whose last hours suggested these thoughts, I was with him. No one was present but his physician and an intimate friend whom he loved and whom he had ruined. At my coming in he said, "You and the physician are come too late. I have neither life nor hope. You both aim at miracles.

You would raise the dead!" "I-leaven," I said, "was merciful - " "Or," exclaimed he, "I could not have been thus guilty. What has it not done to bless and to save me! I have been too strong for omnipotence! I have plucked down ruin!" I said, "The blessed Redeemer - " "Hold! hold! you wound me! That is the rock on which I split - I denied His name!"

Refusing to hear anything from me or take anything from the physician he lay silent, as far as sudden darts of pain would permit, till the clock struck, then with vehemence he exclaimed, "Oh! time! time! it is fit thou shouldst thus strike thy murderer to the heart! How art thou fled forever! A month! Oh, for a single week -

I do not ask for years; though an age were too little for the much I have to do." On my saying we could not do too much, that heaven was a blessed place - "So much the worse. 'Tis lost! 'Tis lost! Heaven is to me the severest place of hell!"

Soon after, I proposed prayer - "Pray, you that can. I never prayed. I cannot pray - nor need I. Is not heaven on my side already? It closes with my conscience. Its severest strokes but second my own." Observing that his friend was much touched at this, even to tears (who could forbear? I could not), with a most affectionate look he said, "Keep those tears for thyself. I have undone thee - dost thou weep for me? That is cruel What can pain me more?"

Here his friend, too much affected, would have left him. "No, stay - that thou mayst hope; therefore hear me. How madly I have talked! How madly hast thou listened and believed. But look on my present state, as a full answer to thee, and to myself. This body is all weakness and pain; but my soul, as if stung up by torment to greater strength and spirit, is full powerful to reason; full mighty to suffer. And that which thus triumphs within the jaws of immortality, is, doubtless, immortal. And as for a Deity, nothing less than an Almighty could inflict what I feel."

I was about to congratulate this passive, involuntary confessor, on his asserting the two prime articles of his creed, extorted by the rack of nature, when he thus very passionately exclaimed, "No, no[ let me speak on. I have not long to speak. My much injured friend, my soul, as my body, lies in ruins; in scattered fragments of broken thought. Remorse for the past throws my thought on the future. Worse dread of the future strikes it back on the past. I turn and turn and find no ray. Didst thou feel half the mountain that is on me thou wouldst struggle with the martyr for his stake, and bless heaven for the flames; that is not an everlasting flame; that is not an unquenchable fire."

How were we struck! Yet, soon after, still more. With what an eye of distraction, what a face of despair, he cried out, "My principles have poisoned my friend; my extravagance has beggared my boy; my unkindness has murdered my wife! And is there another hell? Oh! thou blasphemed, yet indulgent, Lord God, hell itself is a refuge, if it hide me from Thy frown!" Soon after his understanding failed. His terrified imagination uttered horrors not to be repeated, or ever forgotten. And ere the sun (which, I hope, has seen few like him) arose, the gay, young, noble, ingenious, accomplished and most wretched Altamont expired.

If this is a man of pleasure, what is a man of pain? How quick, how total, is the transit of such persons! In what a dismal gloom they set forever! How short, alas, the day of their rejoicing. For a moment they glitter, they dazzle. In a moment, where are they? Oblivion covers their memories. Ah, would it did! Infamy snatches them from oblivion.

In the long-living annals of infamy their triumphs are recorded. Thy sufferings, poor Altamont, still bleed in the bosom of the heart-stricken friend - for Altamont had a friend. He might have had many. His transient morning might have been the dawn of an immortal day. His name might have been gloriously enrolled in the records of eternity.

His memory might have left a sweet fragrance behind it, grateful to the surviving friend, salutary to the succeeding generation. With what capacity was he endowed, with what advantages for being greatly good. But with the talents of an angel a man may be a fool. If he judges amiss in the supreme point, judging right in all else but aggravates his folly; as it shows him wrong, though blessed with the best capacity of being right. - Power of Religion.

Back