Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Cinco de Mayo (Fifth of May)

Vince

With the United States embroiled in a Civil War, France invaded Mexico. They seized Mexico's biggest port and then sent a large, well-equipped army to capture Mexico City, defeating various Mexican armies on the way.

A hopelessly outnumbered, poorly-equipped Mexican army, with half their men armed with machetes, were trying to dig in when the French attacked them 148 years ago today.

And Mexico handed France a defeat so loud that it rings through the nation today.

Happy Cinco de Mayo, Amigos!

Being from California, I LOVE Cinco de Mayo! When I lived (briefly) in North Carolina, I was surprised that no one seemed to know about it, so I threw a Cinco de Mayo fiesta!

Not to detract from the Mexician victory, but it seems as if the French have had a number of conflicts wherein a much smaller army kicked derriere.

BOO HOO!

This day isn't even that big a deal in Mexico and is only acknowledged in some regions. Sept. 16 is Mexico's Independence Day. Cinco de Mayo was propagated in the US by the Corona Beer Co. :lol

Did you people know that this year, a couple of students on "Cinco de Mayo" were suspended for wearing shirts with the US flag on it??? It was said the flags were offensive. OFFENSIVE? :shame

THIS IS THE USA PEOPLE! :angry2 We can wear USA flag shirts whenever we want! :mad

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-be ... 45969.html

... and there's this: http://www.examiner.com/x-19823-PostPar ... co-de-Mayo

You. Have. Got. To. Be.... Kidding. Me.

A California high school near San Francisco sent five of its students home yesterday for wearing American flags on Cinco de Mayo. The students were asked to remove American flag bandanas and complied.

Then the school’s administration decided it wasn’t enough. Vice-Principal Miguel Rodriguez called the students to his office and demanded they remove also their patriotic shirts, shorts, and shoes. When the students refused, the principal and vice-principal suspended them for the day.

The explanation given their outraged parents? Wearing patriotic apparel on Cinco de Mayo disrespects Mexicans. Administrators told the students they could wear the American flag any other day – just not on a Mexican-themed holiday.

Vice-principal Rodriguez is demanding an apology from the suspended students – one of whom is Hispanic – to Hispanic students who claim they were offended by the patriotic display.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Live Oak High School for clearing this up. In America, wearing an American flag in an American high school is offensive and worthy of suspension. Of course!

By the way, it is also offensive to wear American flags on St. Patrick’s Day. Green only! As a matter of fact, American flags should not be displayed at all on St. Patty’s or Cinco de Mayo. These days are for the Irish and the Mexicans, doggonit. Don’t you dare be proud to be American on their days!

And it is also high time we outlaw American flags during Black History Month – when we celebrate the achievements and contributions of people of African descent. No American flags or patriotism during Hanukkah; that’s Jew time!

And the reverse also holds true: put away your menorahs at Christmas, Hebrews. Don’t wear green on July 4th. That’s American Independence Day – can’t you hide your Irishness for one silly ole day?

Nevermind that Cinco de Mayo is a holiday more American than Mexican, more celebrated in the United States than it is across the border.

Nevermind that Cinco de Mayo commemorates the French expulsion from Mexico AND the consequent halt of the imminent French advance into the United States of America. Cinco de Mayo is still by Mexicans for Mexicans and of Mexicans…only.

Where do these American kids get off, being proud to be American on American soil? Tell you what – if they can’t not be patriotic on Cinco de Mayo, tell them to get out. Love it or leave it baby. This is Mexi…er…America!

Man just see for yourselves: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=students ... 30ada67292

Incredible isn't it?? I started a thread about that in Current Events on the 6th, and like usual it garnered arguments that the US is supposed to cater to everyone at the expense of our own patriotism and rights. :shame

Hi everyone--I am new to CF and want to say HI to everyone here.

When I read the above story a few days ago--I was completely incensed! The principal of this school should be fired for violating the first amendment rights of these USA students. And if those Hispanic students want to be 'respected'--then they have to EARN respect by ACTING respectable! But they will never realize this because they are being influenced and instructed by their Jesuit leaders to cause insurrection in the USA.

This whole illegal immigration ordeal runs deep! There is far more going on beneath the surface than those coming here wanting a 'better life'. It has deep religious roots folks--it goes all the way to the Vatican.

And if you ever read the history of the Vaticans response to the Constitution and the Bill of rights--they were not happy with them. One pope called it/them, "those most damnable documents!"

For a more insightful view of this immigration issue, I recommend reading, "The Secret Terrorists', by Bill Hughes.

Vince said:
They better not wear a French flag, because that offends me.

Could you be more specific? Who are the 'they' who better not wear a French flag and where shouldn't it be worn and WHY would it offend you?

Calm down, Folks, I was making a joke. Cinco de Mayo is a great day in the history of Mexico. A hopelessly outnumbered, poorly-trained, and poorly-equipped Mexican army, half of them armed with machetes, defeated a well-trained, well-equipped French army.

What the Mexicans lacked in bullets, they more than made up for with courage.

Vince said:
Calm down, Folks, I was making a joke. Cinco de Mayo is a great day in the history of Mexico. A hopelessly outnumbered, poorly-trained, and poorly-equipped Mexican army, half of them armed with machetes, defeated a well-trained, well-equipped French army.

What the Mexicans lacked in bullets, they more than made up for with courage.

It is not really a great day in Mexico. A great deal for Puebla, yes. But Mexico, no.

Back