Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

COLOSSIANS 1 TRANSLATION

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
B

belt and braces

Hello all,

This seems to be a recurring theme throughout many posts. So I wish to address it here and give you my opinion on the Greek translations there. In no way is this a complete study, as those who agree will follow it up and those who do not wont, so either way it will not matter. Please except this as a help in understanding the verses concerned. What you then discern from it, is between God and you. thank you:

Firstly the first Greek word I wish to tackle is [en] which is mostly translated as [in]. It can be seen in many verses like:

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in [EN] sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in [EN] heaven.

Secondly the Greek: [dia] which means a channel of an act or [through]

There is no mention in the codex of the word [things] It is probably added to by the translators to make more sense of what they see, rightly or wrongly, so they have been ommited.

This is then what the verses say with the correctly translated word beside it
Col 1:

14 In [IN] whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn [firstborn- as in above, not literal born before, see Lk Mt] of every creature:

16 For by [IN] him were all created, that are in [IN] heaven, and that are in [UPON Gr-epi] earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all were created by [THROUGH] him, and for [INTO Gr-eis] him:

17 And he is before all , and by [IN] him all consist.

18 And he is the head of the body, the church [ASSEMBLY Gr-ekklesia]: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all he might have the pre-eminence [be first].

19 For it pleased the Father that in [IN] him should all fullness dwell;

20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by [THROUGH] him to reconcile all unto himself; by [THROUGH] him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

THIS can be seen somewhat in the Young’s literal bible of 1898 which says:

Col 1:16 because in him were the all things created, those in the heavens, and those upon the earth, those visible, and those invisible, whether thrones, whether lordships, whether principalities, whether authorities; all things through him, and for him, have been created,

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back