Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

communion in John 6

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Y

yesha

53 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever." 59
John 6:53-59 (NIV)

Some feel that this passage has obvious "communion" overtones. Others are hesitant to ascribe such, due mostly, I think, to it can be interpreted to elevate communion to a requirement of salvation. How important is this ordinance?

yesha said:
How important is this ordinance?

It's vital.

However, while the communion is brought up for edification in this chapter thye actual ordinance detail is not mentioned until John 13.

First, there is the ordinance of humility or the washing of feet in John 13:4-15.

John 13:14
If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

At my church and in my denomination we practice this ordinance before taking the flat bread and grape juice.

The taking of bread and grape juice and the washing of feet should be done with all reverance and humility with a right heart thankful for the gift of righteouness and salavation the Lord Himself has provided.

yesha said:
53 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever." 59
John 6:53-59 (NIV)

Some feel that this passage has obvious "communion" overtones. Others are hesitant to ascribe such, due mostly, I think, to it can be interpreted to elevate communion to a requirement of salvation. How important is this ordinance?

No, it has nothing to do with communion. The key verse is verse 53; "you have no life in you." So what gives us real everlasting life? Store-bought bread? :o No. Tha's as perishable as any other object. What gives us everlasting life inside is only the Holy Spirit who is Jesus Christ which Jesus confirms in verse 63; "The Spirit gives life. The flesh counts for nothing." So Jesus is talking abput receiving the Holy Spirit which is becoming born again of the Holy Spirit. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back