Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Concerning the Old Testament

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
W

Weekendwarrior

Hey all,

First time posting here, but I really need help with these 2 questions.

Why does the Church maintain that the Old Testament is a necessary part of our tradition?

How is the Bible inspired? What does this mean for me?

Thanks, and I really appreciate your feedback!

Weekendwarrior said:
Hey all,

Why does the Church maintain that the Old Testament is a necessary part of our tradition?

Weekendw,

You have asked 3 questions. Which 2 did you desire an answer?

Joe

Weekendwarrior said:
Hey all,

The OT all points to Jesus.
Much of the OT is quoted in the New...to show the fulfillment of prophecy.
Actually, that fact that so many prophecies had come true with the coming of the Messiah, was one of the main reasons I came to the Lord in the first place. :)

The Bible is inspired because men wrote as directed by God.
If it was just men writing without God's inspiring them, we'd have ony a history of man and not the truth of God. For you, you can know that God is speaking to man...even though He is invisible and we don't hear his voice. When we believe that God sent His Son to provide access to God, we desire to know Him, and we can know Him by reading His Word.

Weekendwarrior said:
Hey all,

The Old Testament Books contain The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Also, it contains many prophecies still yet to come to pass today. It was the Holy Writ Christ's Apostles and disciples had in their day. It still has the main details of unfulfilled prophecy given in the New Testament Books.

How could have David been given prophecy of events about Christ's crucifixion in Psalms 22 around 1,000 years before it happenned, even the event of the soldiers casting lots upon Christ's robes, if The Old Testament Books were not inspired by God?

veteran said:
How could have David been given prophecy of events about Christ's crucifixion in Psalms 22 around 1,000 years before it happenned, even the event of the soldiers casting lots upon Christ's robes, if The Old Testament Books were not inspired by God?

Because David didn't do that at all.

Finis,
Eric

wavy said:
veteran said:

Because David didn't do that at all.

Finis,
Eric

The evidence in Psalms 22 reveals you're bearing false witness.

Ps 22:14-18
14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.
18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
(KJV)

wavy said:
Or it reveals I can recognize a simple phenomenon like literary dependence.

Finis,
Eric

veteran said:
The evidence in Psalms 22 reveals you're bearing false witness.

Darn that literary dependence...it gets us every time. :biglol
Psalm 22 said:
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
Matthew 27:46 said:
And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

We use the Old Testament (more correctly translated Old Covenant) to help us understand Jesus's New Covenant (New Testament).

veteran said:
Weekendwarrior said:
Hey all,

The Old Testament Books contain The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Also, it contains many prophecies still yet to come to pass today. It was the Holy Writ Christ's Apostles and disciples had in their day. It still has the main details of unfulfilled prophecy given in the New Testament Books.

The author of the psalm is David - he is the "voice" throughout the entire psalm. In this psalm he recounts the anguish he experiences during those periods when he was a fugitive being persecuted by his enemies. Thus this is an historical account of King David, a not a messianic prophetic psalm. Additionally, verse 16 has been mistranslated in most Christian bibles. The Hebrew does not say "they pierced my hands and feet." :oops

einstein said:
The author of the psalm is David - he is the "voice" throughout the entire psalm. In this psalm he recounts the anguish he experiences during those periods when he was a fugitive being persecuted by his enemies. Thus this is an historical account of King David, a not a messianic prophetic psalm. Additionally, verse 16 has been mistranslated in most Christian bibles. The Hebrew does not say "they pierced my hands and feet." :oops
Yes, it does..(and I thought Einstein was smart. :lol )....and not only that, there are other references to the crucifixion that can not be denied.
Psalm 22:1 said:
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? (Christ's exact words on the cross.)
7All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
(Matt. 27:42-43 - "He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him. He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.")
15My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death. - (John....28After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. 29Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.)
16For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. - (The Hebrew translation does say pierced my hands and my feet.)
18They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. (Matt. 27:35 "And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.")

Weekendwarrior said:
Hey all,

The OT lays out the foundation for EVERYTHING.
Without it we dont have a full understanding of what has happened and why we need a Savior.
Certainly you dont 'need' it to be born again, but why someone would rob themselves of the knowledge about their Creator presented in the OT is beyond me.

In many cases by direct revelation.
I dont understand the second question.

The Old Testament is important, if for no other reason, because if its tremendous wisdom, I would think. It also is a history book. It tells us a lot about the Lord and his will for us.

As for how it’s inspired, we all can have a personal relationship with the Lord, and the more that relationship matures, the more we are able to do his will. The Bible writers might have been spiritually mature people who were able to write what the Lord wanted them to write.

Does this make sense?

glorydaz said:
einstein said:
glorydaz said:
No, but I know how to look things up.
Here ya go...you can do it to.

http://strongsnumbers.com/hebrew/6435.htm

That's It??? :shame You look up your concordance and that's the end of your thought-process? Well, perhaps that's all one could expect since you admit you are not fluent in Hebrew. I will try to keep this short. First, I am fluent in Hebrew and if and when I am uncertain I have colleagues and professors of Hebrew at various universities in Israel whom I can consult.

There is no question at all that the word k'ari means "like a lion". If you are relying on your concordance it behooves you to do further research and ask yourself the following question: Why does the concordance and your KJB translate k'ari as "like a lion" at Num24:9, Isa38:13,Ezek22:25 and Num23:24, but translates the very same word as "they pierced" in this psalm?

There is another inconsistency in your concordance in that it translates the phrase as "they pierced my hands and feet" but as the English equivalent it has the word "dig". There is a Hebrew root verb for dig which is "karah" with the Hebrew root being kaph-resh-heh and it means digging in dirt like digging a trench. It has about 15 applications in the Hebrew bible and is never once used in the context of piercing. Furthermore, the word used in the psalm has an "aleph" which is absent in the above root verb. In summary, your concordance and the KJB are inconsistent and in error in their translations. That's all for now. I am sure you can do an internet search of your own and find some Christian apologist who thinks they have the answer. I look forward to your response. :ohwell

einstein said:
glorydaz said:
No, but I know how to look things up.
Here ya go...you can do it to.

http://strongsnumbers.com/hebrew/6435.htm

That's It??? :shame You look up your concordance and that's the end of your thought-process? Well, perhaps that's all one could expect since you admit you are not fluent in Hebrew. I will try to keep this short. First, I am fluent in Hebrew and if and when I am uncertain I have colleagues and professors of Hebrew at various universities in Israel whom I can consult.

No, you're fluent in bologna-speak.

My thought process goes much further, but I shake the dust when I encounter someone the Lord has not prepared to receive the call to repent.

A typical ad hominem response from an ignoramus.lol :lol Why not just say you have no response and leave it at that. Is is glorydaz or glorydazed?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back