Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Covenant or Dispensations?

Well?

• 7 dispensations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 covenants

• 3 covenants

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Covenant and way more than 3 ;) That reminds, me, I have a post of yours from a week ago to read! Why must covenant theology and dispensations be incompatible?

Sara929 said:
Covenant and way more than 3 ;) That reminds, me, I have a post of yours from a week ago to read! Why must covenant theology and dispensations be incompatible?

I don't see basic idea of covenants & dispensations as being incompatible, but the working out of each ends up being incompatible. Israel = Church is a biggie. I see 7 "covenants" but call them dispensations to avoid confussion.

Covenant theology is very different then Dispensational theology.

This is the first I've heard of these 2 different opinions. Could somebody explain the different views? I know what convenants and dispensation is but thats about it.

Mac0486 said:
This is the first I've heard of these 2 different opinions. Could somebody explain the different views? I know what convenants and dispensation is but thats about it.
That is more than I know of. I just don't have an opinion one way or the other and don't care to study it either.

I think that some people try so hard to learn knowledge that they fail to grow in the Lord. I know that was me for a while anyways. :sad

DIME Ministries said:
That is more than I know of. I just don't have an opinion one way or the other and don't care to study it either.

I think that some people try so hard to learn knowledge that they fail to grow in the Lord. I know that was me for a while anyways. :sad

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Be like the good Beareans of Acts 17, search the Scriptures daily.

Dispensationalism

These features include belief in: (1) the authority of Scripture; (2) dispensations; (3) uniqueness of the church; (4) practical significance of the universal church; (5) significance of biblical prophecy; (6) futurist premillennialism; (7) imminent return of Christ; and (8) a future for national Israel.

Hermeneutic (sine qua non)

1. Dispensationalism keeps Israel and the church distinct. This is the most basic test of dispensationalism.

2. The distinction between Israel and the church is born out of a system of hermeneutics that is usually called literal interpretation. Dispensationalism interprets words in their normal or plain meaning; it does not spiritualize or allegorize the text. The strength of dispensationalism is its consistently literal, or plain, interpretation of Scripture.

3. The underlying purpose of God in the world is the glory of God (pp. 39-40). In contrast to covenant theology (which sees salvation as the underlying purpose) and progressive dispensationalism (which emphasizes a Christological center), dispensationalism sees a broader purpose – the glory of God. (This theme is developed in Transformed By His Glory) For this reason, the number of dispensations is not the critical issue in dispensationalism – as long as one is true to the three essentials of dispensationalism. Three dispensations – law, grace, and kingdom – receive most of the treatment in Scripture; however, it is possible to recognize other dispensations and while the historic sevenfold scheme of dispensations is not inspired, they seem to be distinguishable economies in God's program.

I sure hope God doesn't put questions like this on the Final Exam :oops:

Back