Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Deacons or elders?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I have a misconception on how deacons and elders are to function within a church body; this is due to the fact that "positions" were filled at my old church based on the size of your tithe and status within the community.
We had a bunch of carnal business men who didn't know their umm urrr from... well they didn't have a clue.
So what does the function of a God called elder and deacon look like??

mutzrein said:
1 Timothy 3 helpful?
I should have said.."what do they look like to you"?? I really would like to see how people discribe their function without usung scripture. But then again I can't tell 100 percent if someone is or isn't cheating. :-D

In acts the deacons were to wait on tables...i.e, pass the food plate,.....

The elders acted in a leadership role for the whole church.....in Jersusalem they made decisions that got disseminated to the churches....pretty simple to me. Paul went to Jerusalem, visiting the elders to resolve issues in the churches.

Now, what we've done with this in the western church.........uh....

In my church, the eldership consists of the Pastor and two other men who work alongside him handling some of the bigger issues that come along. They also kind of make the decisions on what goes before the congregation for votes. I guess you could say they filter out the garbage and bad ideas, as well as see to it that issues of church discipline are handled Biblically. The major financial decisions go before the congregation to be voted on.

The deacons handle "ministerial overflow". Hospital visits, heading up volunteer projects, and things like that. They also meet with the elders on a weekly basis to discuss things that are going on.

Jas

Deacons in the NT were to minister to the widows and orphans....the word means table service...litugically and historically in the church the role of deacons at the sunday services was as the minister of the cup.....

post reformation many christian churches have stopped 'ministering the cup'.....they do not have regular communions [ie every sunday, but only quarterly or at irregular times] Also, the 'cup' or chalice has bee replaced by lots of tiny glasses, and grape juice for wine.....

while some churches maintain a liturgical style of formal worship many churches have less formal services that comprised Sunday school - classes based upon varous ages from toddlers to adults followed by a service of hymns [or not] and preaching by a paster. No real role for a deacon or elder......

Still there is the pastoral care of feeding those in need

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back