Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Deny self

Ken123$

Deny self in terms of physical denial is a religious way of becoming pure that false religions teach. But deny self for Christians is denial of self interest and is not a physical denial. Please see below definition:
Deny Self
Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.

16:24 Then 5119 said 2036 5627 Jesus 2424 unto his 846 disciples 3101, If any 1536 [man] will 2309 5719 come 2064 5629 after 3694 me 3450, let him deny 533 5663 himself 1438, and 2532 take up 142 5657 his 846 cross 4716, and 2532 follow 1

Word: aparneomai Pronounce: ap-ar-neh'-om-ahee Strongs Number: G533 Orig: from 575 and 720; to deny utterly, i.e. disown, abstain:--deny. G575 Use: TDNT-1:471,* Verb Heb Strong: H3988

1) to deny
1a) to affirm that one has no acquaintance or connection with someone
1b) to forget one's self, lose sight of one's self and one's own interests

Please share scripture which says fasting is a physical denying of self?
Doesn't require Scripture to explain. By definition isn't fasting a self-denial? It could be denying sustenance for a period of time for example.

Denying oneself is one of ahrdest thing when being christian they don't teach you that in elementary reality everything is made for the world that you go first and not the others. But God wants you to put him first and deny yourself it is ahrd but good for you to learn to put aside your fears and help fellow men.

Doesn't require Scripture to explain. By definition isn't fasting a self-denial? It could be denying sustenance for a period of time for example.
The only deny self I know of in scripture is deny self Greek defined denying self interest. I would not trust other definitions when there is a Greek definitions. Jesus trusted the deny self definition being denying self interest and deny self meaning physical is opposite to Jesus definition?

The only deny self I know of in scripture is deny self Greek defined denying self interest. I would not trust other definitions when there is a Greek definitions. Jesus trusted the deny self definition being denying self interest and deny self meaning physical is opposite to Jesus definition?
Our Lord, Jesus, denied himself of food for forty days after His baptism. Any one of us would become vulnerable to the prodding of Satan after doing this but our Lord rose above that vulnerability.

Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread." But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.' "
Matthew 4:1-2 NKJV

Jesus, rather than rebuking or warning about fasting, expressed the importance of not fasting for personal gain or recognition but rather to do it to the glory of God.

Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
Matthew 6:16-18 NKJV

Last edited:
A great work of Jesus but scripture does not say He denied self by fasting because scriptural definition of deny self is only deny-self-interest. Unless a scripture can be shown as physical denying self, then physical deny self is a pagan concept, where physical fasting is scriptural but is not denying self. Denying-self-interest may result in this physical work.

Matthew KJV

4:1Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

A great work of Jesus but scripture does not say He denied self by fasting because scriptural definition of deny self is only deny-self-interest.
Jesus was hungry because He had denied a basic necessity of physical life for the human body. I need food for physical survival and denying food is denying a self-interest.

Maybe you're not being clear about what you mean or I'm too dense to understand you. Can you show me where Scripture specifically defines denying self as denying non-physical self-interest only?

Jesus was hungry because He had denied a basic necessity of physical life for the human body. I need food for physical survival and denying food is denying a self-interest.

Maybe you're not being clear about what you mean or I'm too dense to understand you. Can you show me where Scripture specifically defines denying self as denying non-physical self-interest only?
Pease see below definition:
Deny Self
Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.

16:24 Then 5119 said 2036 5627 Jesus 2424 unto his 846 disciples 3101, If any 1536 [man] will 2309 5719 come 2064 5629 after 3694 me 3450, let him deny 533 5663 himself 1438, and 2532 take up 142 5657 his 846 cross 4716, and 2532 follow 1

Word: aparneomai Pronounce: ap-ar-neh'-om-ahee Strongs Number: G533 Orig: from 575 and 720; to deny utterly, i.e. disown, abstain:--deny. G575 Use: TDNT-1:471,* Verb Heb Strong: H3988

1) to deny

Pease see below definition:
Deny Self

1) to deny
That's one example of denying self. It seems you are wrapping up the text to fit your preferred definition and choosing to ignore others. Just because the words used were not "deny self" doesn't preclude all other synonyms obsolete.

Not my preferred definition but Strongs Greek definition. Please share one scripture a synonym for deny self.

Please share scripture which says fasting is a physical denying of self?

Brother fasting, or not eating food is a denial of our body’s desire for food.

Do you believe our physical body is part of self?

JLB

Not my preferred definition but Strongs Greek definition. Please share one scripture a synonym for deny self.

Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
Romans 8:12-13

• but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body,

To crucify or put to death the deeds the carnal nature desires to do.

JLB

Brother fasting, or not eating food is a denial of our body’s desire for food.

Do you believe our physical body is part of self?

JLB
Per man made definitions self may be physical but per scriptural Greek definition of deny self it is loss of self interest and not part of the physical. A good example is Jesus denied self interest and He died physically as a result of denying self interest.

In the Greek definition of crucified and cross Jesus denied self interest which led to His physical crucification by evil people. Christians must STOP glorifying the evil works of people by saying Jesus crucification was Him dying on the cross. He died on the cross strictly by Him denying self interest and as a result evil people were able to crucify Him. The full definition of crucify must apply. One aspect for the evil people physically crucifying Him and to other aspect for Jesus denying self interest with the Greek definition showing He figuratively denied self and the definition of figurative language it the TRUE meaning of crucify.

I can share more definitions if wanted.

Per man made definitions self may be physical but per scriptural Greek definition of deny self it is loss of self interest and not part of the physical.

So are you saying that the physical body has nothing at all to do with self?

Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
Romans 8:12-13

• but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body,

To crucify or put to death the deeds the carnal nature desires to do.

JLB
Amen, living by the spirit is a must to put to death the deeds of the body. Living by the spirit is a spiritual living obviously not a physical or flesh living. Putting to death the flesh is a work by mankind and is not by faith. The next question is how we live by the spirit? As Jesus shows we deny self interest and pick up our cross (of denying self interest) and follow Him by walking in His footsteps of denying self interest. Then we are crucified with Him with self denial of self interest and HE CRUCIFIES THE FLESH and this is not a work of mankind but Jesus living in us.

per scriptural Greek definition of deny self it is loss of self interest

So the self desiring food, water, entertainment, money, love, sex, clothing,… is not associated with the physical body?

The next question is how we live by the spirit?

We live according to the Spirit by obeying the righteous desires of the Spirit, rather than the corrupt desires of the flesh.

JLB

Back