Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Deny self

We live according to the Spirit by obeying the righteous desires of the Spirit, rather than the corrupt desires of the flesh.

JLB
Jesus clearly shows us how to obey.
Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.

Asking for my location?
I can say I was saved 50 years ago when I was going to kill myself and God asked me "what about me". And I said I will live for You (denied self) and if I remained sick at least I would have Him. A warm feeling flowed over me and was fully healed. Went to many churches and no church preached denying self. I gave up and wrote over 10 booklets to share His truth about self denial. All are removed from Kindle to add the old testament understanding about being crucified. Hope to republish with the OT understanding. My booklets https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Store-Jude-Ramagosa/s?rh=n:133140011,p_27:Jude+Ramagosa
The OT understanding:
Crucified and cross have the same definition in major Concordances and I use interchangeably both terms in my explanations.
The meat of the Word is Jesus denied self before the foundation of the world, defined as crucified, and then He died on the cross but His physical dying isn’t crucified, IE during His dying He denied self which is non-physical and defined as crucification and for eternity He denies self, also Christians should deny self for eternity and is their crucification.

The New Testament shows Christ was crucified died and rose from the dead and, by Greek definition, He figuratively denied self for His death on the cross. IE the NT exclusively shows one-way He was crucified denying self which resulted in His death, resurrection and bringing His blood as a sacrificial offering to His father.

John 19:23 The New King James Version Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took His garments and made four parts, to each soldier a part, and also the tunic. Now the tunic was without seam, woven from the top in one piece.

Remember the context of this scripture and it is an act of soldiers on Jesus and it is obviously not soldiers self denial but is their act which means to physical kill Jesus.

When referring to Jesus crucification it is Him denying self as Strongs shows being figuratively self denial.

Word: stauroj, Pronounce: stow-ros' , Strongs Number: G4716. Orig: from the base of 2476; a stake or post (as set upright), i.e. (specially), a pole or cross (as an instrument of capital punishment); figuratively, exposure to death, i.e. self-denial; by implication, the atonement of Christ:--cross. G2476. Use: TDNT-7:572,1071 Noun Masculine, Heb Strong
https://biblia.com/bible/nkjv/john/19/23#:~:text=John 19:23,top in one piece

Also, the Old Testament shows His crucifixion was self-denial which is a true understanding of God’s will. Abraham believed God would raise Isaac from the dead and God the Father believed He would raise Jesus because of Abrahams work of faith. Then God allowed His son Jesus to die and will raise Him. This could did not happened until man (Abraham) denied self and gave his son by a work of faith. Therefore, the OT shows Jesus was crucified same as Abraham’s faith of self-denial. Both Jesus and Abraham denied-self which allowed death, first Abraham for his son then God for His Son, Abraham son’s actual physical death was stopped by God because there was no need for this to happen.

Basis for this teaching

Preaching the cross or His crusification is preaching His death on the cross?

Preaching the cross isn’t preaching His death on the cross and scripture shows His cross, by Greek definition, is a pole or cross (as an instrument of capital punishment) and this seems to be an accurate understanding of preaching the cross. But further review of this scripture shows God’s understanding of what preaching the cross is. The cross is defined as a stake and figuratively self-denial per Greek definition. 1 Corinthians 1:18. By definition figurative language is new insight into a word. This new insight (Self-Denial) is God’s insight and is beyond the insight of his death on the cross. Figuratively, exposure to death, IE self-denial is to deny self and when we deny self He can live in us and we are following in His footsteps same as when He denied self unto death on the cross.

Example of usage of figuratively:
http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-figurative-language.html
Vocabulary.com figuratively/literally
http://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/figuratively-literally/

The Greek definition of Deny in Matthew 16:24 when Jesus said let him deny is to lose one’s self-interest.
REF Greek definition:
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
Bible Explore.com, KJV W/ STRONGS BIBLE - 1 CORINTHIANS 1 http://www.godrules.net/library/kjvstrongs/kjvstrongs1cor1.htm

1:18 For 1063 the preaching 3056 of the cross 4716 is 2076 5748 to them 3303 that perish 622 5730 foolishness 3472; but 1161 unto us 2254 which are saved 4982 5746 it is 2076 5748 the power 1411 of God 2316.

Word: stauroj, Pronounce: stow-ros' , Strongs Number: G4716. Orig: from the base of 2476; a stake or post (as set upright), i.e. (specially), a pole or cross (as an instrument of capital punishment); figuratively, exposure to death, i.e. self-denial; by implication, the atonement of Christ:--cross. G2476. Use: TDNT-7:572,1071 Noun Masculine, Heb Strong

Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Mat 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
Mat 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

To deny one's self is to put Christ first in all we do and say as we pick up our cross to follow in His foot steps always being in the will of God as His will be done on earth as it is in heaven. It has nothing to do with self interest in the sense of certain things we enjoy doing that are good in the sight of the Lord as far as what we enjoy doing and still put Christ first in all we do and speak.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Titus 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

If we accept Him as Lord, then we have done His will for us and the scriptures you show are fully met. When Jesus says to deny self, Greek defined as loss of self interest is exclusively "lose his life for my sake shall find it."

"It has nothing to do with self interest in the sense of certain things we enjoy doing that are good in the sight of the Lord as far as what we enjoy doing and still put Christ first in all we do and speak."
Yes, but what is loss of self interest? It is "lose his life for my sake shall find it." Loss of self interest is loss of life for His sake and this is how we are born again. Then as Christians we are to live every second, or as Jesus shows daily, with the mentality of loss of self interest for His sake.

Jesus shows scriptures in several ways to explain His will and lose of life is exactly lose of self interest which is Greek defined as denying self. All three statements are exactly the same concept.
Thanks for sharing a reality of Jesus will.

Back