Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Depictions of biblical stories?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
How come no christians ever depict the sex, violence, gore and the like from the bible? Say for instance, a bible with artistic depictions. Now I have seen some of those before. I think they are usually targeted to children. I have seen paintings or depictions of some kinds of various bible stories, but none that feature the "bad" stuff.

So, why are there none?

Heh. When I was a kid, I remember having a Noah's ark coloring book. It was all about saving the animals and mankind. It didn't really occur to me that God was doing all the killing. The books never showed the dead humans floating in the water. It was very selective in what it showed.

Now, there are some websites that show the fully story, but they tend not to be Christian. One example, is http://thebricktestament.com/. They even show the skepetons of people after the flood. Some of the lego pictures crack me up. It makes me want to dig into my old box of childhood toys and play with legos.

None?

Firstly, I agree with christian soldier.

....I'm not sure what the purpose of your question is, but maybe you should look some more at what the artists have done out there.

Ever hear of Caravaggio? (I hope I don't get in trouble for posting his art but he is one of my favorite artists...by the way...mods, am I hotlinking?)

He's done David and Goliath....
carav_d_g_bhead1.jpg

carav_d_g_bhead2.jpg

Beheading of John....
carav_j_b_bhead.jpg

Check out what alot of those medieval and renaissance artists depicted.

...or did you ever watch the Passion of the Christ?

Veritas said:
...or did you ever watch the Passion of the Christ?

Good point. I did NOT watch it. I did not want to see so realistic a portrayal of the physical suffering my Savior experienced on my behalf.

And that is a good point for the other discussion - Empty Graves, I think.

Its one thing to debate whether Jesus died and why is that a big deal, only 3 days, etc.

BUT...compound that with the merciless, horrendous beating He took... a scourging is no small matter...and the cruelness of crucifixion...not to mention the horror of taking on ALL sins, from ALL time, from ALL sinners and separation from the Father, to boot.

:crying:

(Sorry to side track the thread)

I guess I find not showing the bad stuff as being disingenuous. And then of course, another part of it is always showing god=good and man=bad. So you wouldn't get a christian depicting the flood with all the life god destroys because that shows god in a negative light. Usually, it is Noah and Co. being saved from the flood on a positive note.

But I guess that is just human nature to selectively remember and show the positive aspects of what we want.

Featherbop said:
But I guess that is just human nature to selectively remember and show the positive aspects of what we want.

You presume a lot.

I, for one, am fully aware and in remembrance, not only of Noah's salvation, but of the loss of the sinful world.

And of God's promise never to flood the world again!

Featherbop said:
I guess I find not showing the bad stuff as being disingenuous. And then of course, another part of it is always showing god=good and man=bad. So you wouldn't get a christian depicting the flood with all the life god destroys because that shows god in a negative light. Usually, it is Noah and Co. being saved from the flood on a positive note.

You don't have to worry about Christians being disingenuous. You said in your first post that you thought the Bibles you had seen were for children and naturally a child's book would not have graphic depictions of sex and violence.

However, we had an old KJV Bible which was as big as an unabridged dictionary and had classic paintings in it. I remember the picture of Noah including dead bodies, David as a young boy holding up the severed head of Goliath before the army of Israel, and I also remember feeling sorry for the Egyptian's horses as the waters of the Red Sea crashed down upon them (though I thought the soldiers were getting pretty much what they deserved).

Go to Google and hit images. You'll find paintings of Jael pounding a spike through Sisera's head, Stephen being stoned to death, the rape of Tamar and Hendrick Goltzius' depiction of Lot and his daughters about to commit incest is spicy enough for a Playboy layout.

Most of these paintings date from the Middle Ages and Renaissance and were commissioned by the church to depict the stories from the Bible for the sake of the illiterate.

I think if you really look at the issue honestly, you'll find that the church has never tried to whitewash the Bible or the people in the Bible. David committing adultery with Bathsheba and then his consequent murder of her husband Uriah is not only right there in the Scriptures, but actually preached about from the pulpits. There's probably a painting on the subject somewhere to be found in Google Images as well.

Veritas, I just watched a bio on Caravaggio the other night. Did you realize that the pictures of David and Goliath were self-portraits? Only Caravaggio didn't depict himself as David. The face of Goliath is the face of Caravaggio.

handy said:
Veritas, I just watched a bio on Caravaggio the other night. Did you realize that the pictures of David and Goliath were self-portraits? Only Caravaggio didn't depict himself as David. The face of Goliath is the face of Caravaggio.

Cool, I wonder if I've seen the same bio. I have studied his work in a couple art history courses. I've been to Rome and Florence and seen his stuff up close. Its just amazing. I really like the painting where Jesus is with Thomas. But yeah, he was quite the tortured fella. Wouldn't think he was a brawler and a murderer with a talent like that.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back