Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Devotional: Growing in the Knowledge of God

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
February 29

Growing in the Knowledge of God​

“‘Let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice, and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things,’ declares the Lord” (Jeremiah 9:24).

Unless we have a personal relationship with Him, we don’t really know Him.

We have studied many truths about God this month, but just knowing the facts is not enough. Knowing facts about God doesn’t necessarily mean knowing God, any more than knowing American history means you know Abraham Lincoln. Some of the most learned theologians in history, with great grasp of the facts about God, had no faith in God. They knew about God, but Christ will say to them on their day of judgment, “I never knew you; depart from Me” (Matt. 7:23).

The heart of knowing God is relationship. God is a relational being and has made us relational also, so that we might know Him. And like human relationships, knowing God requires time and commitment.

Of course, the first step in knowing God is salvation. When we were unsaved, we were enemies of God (Rom. 5:10), but now we are His friends (John 15:14-15). Once begun, this friendship is cultivated by studying the Bible and praying. God communicates His heart to us through His Word, and we communicate our hearts to Him in prayer.

Our fellowship with God is hindered by neglect. As a parallel, if you never spoke with your best friend, the friendship would suffer. Sin also harms our relationship with God because it moves us away from Him. We must remove whatever might hinder the relationship by continually confessing our sins (1 John 1:9), diligently studying His Word (Ezra 7:10), and devoting ourselves to prayer (Col. 4:2).

These things must be done with a fervent desire to know Him. We must have the heart of Paul who says, “I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord” (Phil. 3:8), and of David who says, “Thy face, O Lord, I shall seek” (Ps. 27:8). Then we will “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18).

Suggestions for Prayer

Pray that God would strengthen your desire to know Him.

For Further Study

Read Psalm 42.
  • What was the psalmist’s passion?
  • What characterized his life despite his troubles?

From Strength for Today by John MacArthu

So , how personal is your relationship with God electedbyhim ? And how do you think we could make our relationship more personal with God ?

I am thinking about my answer too :) .
How personal?

My mind and thought process is consumed by His written word. The hours of my days are filled with "pray without ceasing". When I catch myself in a sin it is immediately confessed. My marriage, family and work life is guided by doing what is right in God's eyes. I try to maintain the attitude and action, whether we eat or drink do all to the glory of God. I am a failure most of the time and will continue to learn in sanctification. Learning to be humble like our Lord is a challenge, but is an ongoing daily process. The time I have to myself is spent listening to sermons, reading the word and theology. I truly try to see the Lord in all I do. I spend time examining myself as well. Ptayer is very important, I cannot stress that enough.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my mind.

How can my relationship be better?

Prayer, sanctification and doctrine, specifically Theology Proper. We can never know enough about the Lord His attributes, decrees and so forth.

I believe the more we pray and Holy Spirit leads us in sanctification, the more we will be closer to God.

Ultimately, absent from the body, present with the Lord.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back