Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Did God Use Evolution

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Physicist said:
Faith Hope Love said:
Science people talk science. I simply keep things understandble...lol. No really I got it. I was just being lame, in a way. @logical bob your'e a trained scientist? Cool! I have a question though...I'm sure you have an answer, and chances are everyone else will to. Wait...you believe in evolution here right? O`well. sigh* I look at these threads an then click reply and forget who says what....Anyways back to my question.If the world evolve...you know if we evolved from apes and so forth (I am not talking about evolving planets here), how did love evolve? If so what is the scientific formula fo the stuff? lol

Now people don't have to have scientific evidence to belief something. Its called faith. Another thing. People believe things because they don't want to admit there is a God, they don't want there to be a God. So they make themselfs believe there isn't a God. People believe in evolution for money. Well maybe not believe. But people have been known to try to sell transitional fossils, for money. If your'e making thousands of fossils for evolution your'e gunna like it.

People who seem to know everything about science..whats your definition for science?

As a scientist (but not a biologist), let me correct a few things here.

Humans did not evolve from apes. Biologists would classify humans as apes. We share a common ancestor with the other great apes (orangutan, gorrila, chimpanzee).

Feelings of affection are common among higher mammals that live in groups.Ever have a dog as a child? Such affection has obvious survival advantages for the group.

Belief is really not a matter of choice. While I think it would be wonderful if there truly were a Santa Claus, wishing it so will not make it so. Belief can be based upon evidence,as it is in science, or it can be based upon tradition and indoctrination. Religious faith fits this latter category.

While some people will fake religious or scientific artifacts, this does not discredit ethical research in either field.

lol I know we didn't evolve from apes. Seriously, I don't think we need to prove that...but classifing humans as apes is really just as bad. In my opinion. I don't prefer to be classified as an 'intellegent' ape...

It would be wonderful if there was truly Santa Clause. Believing so makes makes who ever believe to believe that there is Santa Clause. The little kids believe there is Santa Clause. Usually you can say whatever and they still belive in Santa Claus. (Therefor even though there isn't, they believe there is, making it seem in there mind there is) Belief is a matter of choice, reality isn't. Those little kids choose to belive in Santa Cluase. They really don't have a say in reality on whether or not he is real.

Maybe so. But if its fake research or imagined research then it should be discredited.

logical bob said:
[quote="Faith Hope Love":1e54ilgv] @logical bob your'e a trained scientist? Cool!
No, I'm not a trained scientist. The people I was referring to were Physicist and The Barbarian.[/quote:1e54ilgv]

Well thats cool to :tongue

O`ya @The Barbarian...uh, the fact that you wouldn't read Case for a Creator because you already know there is a creator is really really absurd. or crazy for that matter. See you haven't read it. All you read is the title. Read the book before you diss the book. lol. Common sense here.

O`ya @The Barbarian...uh, the fact that you wouldn't read Case for a Creator because you already know there is a creator is really really absurd. or crazy for that matter.

The problem is that Strobel's theology departs from orthodox Christianity at a few points. I can read that kind of thing right here, if I'm so inclined.

lol I know we didn't evolve from apes. Seriously, I don't think we need to prove that...but classifing humans as apes is really just as bad. In my opinion. I don't prefer to be classified as an 'intellegent' ape...

While I recognize that they are fictional characters, I find it amusing to contemplate that Cheetah, the chimpanzee, and Tarzan, the ape man, would share 99% of the same DNA

"Physicist"
While I recognize that they are fictional characters, I find it amusing to contemplate that Cheetah, the chimpanzee, and Tarzan, the ape man, would share 99% of the same DNA
No I don't see a problem here at all, Why do you think that God's creation would have to have such a huge difference in their DNA. Same Creator for His creation.. Kind of like Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Buick, all are different but have similarities, Why same car company.. not even close to explaining God and his creation, but you get my meaning...

No I don't see a problem here at all, Why do you think that God's creation would have to have such a huge difference in their DNA.

The important questions is "Why do all organisms have DNA similarities that match up with evolutionary phylogenies obtained by other evidence?" We use such DNA tests to establish family and larger group relationships among humans, and this is often testable, so we know it works.

Same Creator for His creation..

That's not the answer, if you realize that God is not deceptive. He would not have created things with the appearance of evolution, if they had not evolved.

The Barbarian said:
That's not the answer, if you realize that God is not deceptive. He would not have created things with the appearance of evolution, if they had not evolved.
I've hesitated to post this, because in the time I've been here you've won my respect in a big way with the level of your knowledge and the patient way you deal with the wilfull ignorance and misrepresentation prevalent on this board. However, doesn't this point cause a problem for your idea of God? Many scientists have studied the origins of life and the universe around us and found no evidence of God's involvement. If God has designed and created the world, he has given it the appearance of a world which is undesigned. This is deceptive.

Sir Pwn4lot said:
I've always found it odd that you take the commandment to sell everything you have and follow Jesus as symbolic but you find the talking snake literal lol.

FYI: The serpent is a symbol as is the dragon, and some of us have given up possessions, friends, family, and our lives in service to our Creator.

I've hesitated to post this, because in the time I've been here you've won my respect in a big way with the level of your knowledge and the patient way you deal with the wilfull ignorance and misrepresentation prevalent on this board.

I have to say that there is less willful ignorance than you might think, and very little intentional misrepresentation. Even some who are quite vigorous disagreeing with me are clearly Christians and clearly decent people. (and I'm not saying that only Christians are decent people)

However, doesn't this point cause a problem for your idea of God? Many scientists have studied the origins of life and the universe around us and found no evidence of God's involvement. If God has designed and created the world, he has given it the appearance of a world which is undesigned.

Right. God is no mere "designer." He is the Creator. Nature is the way He does most things in this world, and given the success of genetic algorithms in engineering, it seems He was right. Obviously, if an omnipotent God wanted to make Himself unambigously evident, He could do it. But free will means much to Him, and if He did so, we would not really be free to chose Him out of love.

I realize that is probably not a compelling argument for you. I can only say that it is consistent with Who He is. I have no burning need to convince you, since I'm Catholic, and therefore don't consider you necessarily on your way to Hell. But it might be worth your while to read Augustine and Aquinas, and spend a little time in contemplation afterward.

I appreciate your kind words, and your consideration of my feelings. I have tried to respond in kind; if I have not, it was unintentional.

Your posts are always respectful to everyone and that last was no exception. I have no burning need to convince you either and I doubt anyone's ever persuaded of anything important on an internet forum. Let's face it, from my point of view it really isn't a salvation issue. :)

I thought you'd probably go for the free will explanation, and it does make sense. I was just suggesting that in your hands the deception argument might be a two-edged sword.

Back