Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Did King Saul Really Talked to Samuel By That Medium?

Golgotha

for_his_glory

Isaiah 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?

Can the reason be that God warned Israel because they can contact the spirits of the dead for why they should seek the living God instead? While discerning that, let us read the event.

1 Samuel 28:5 And when Saul saw the host of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart greatly trembled. 6 And when Saul enquired of the Lord, the Lord answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.

So King Saul had inquired of the Lord but got nothing for why he was desperate in using a medium below.

7 Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor. 8 And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee. 9 And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die? 10 And Saul sware to her by the Lord, saying, As the Lord liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing.

Now for the event as it unfolds below.

11 Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel. 12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul. 13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
14 And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.

Scripture testifies that Saul had perceived the actual Samuel, otherwise the scriptures would have testified that Saul was deceived. We rea on as the scripture testified that it was indeed Samuel speaking.

15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?
And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do. 16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy? 17 And the Lord hath done to him, as he spake by me: for the Lord hath rent the kingdom out of thine hand, and given it to thy neighbour, even to David: 18 Because thou obeyedst not the voice of the Lord, nor executedst his fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore hath the Lord done this thing unto thee this day. 19 Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me: the Lord also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.

Scripture testified the impact of Samuel's prophesy from the Lord on Saul afterwards.

20 Then Saul fell straightway all along on the earth, and was sore afraid, because of the words of Samuel: and there was no strength in him; for he had eaten no bread all the day, nor all the night.

Does scripture lie? No. So that medium did contact the spirit of the prophet, Samuel, in calling him up from the earth.

That ties in with Jesus's account of the rich man and the beggar named Lazarus as a true story for how Abraham's bosom aka Paradise was located beneath the earth but across the great gulf of hell as separated from hell. Luke 16:19-31

Now that Jesus has ascended into Heaven, He brought Abraham's bosom aka Paradise to Heaven where Paul had indirectly testified about the apostle John had been taken to for why he had written the Book of Revelation. 2 Corinthians 12:1-4

1 Chronicles 10:13 So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it;
1 Chronicles 10:14 And enquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse.

Leviticus 19:31 Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 18:9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
Deuteronomy 18:10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
Deuteronomy 18:11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
Deuteronomy 18:12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

1 Samuel 28:12-20 this women, not knowing it was Saul as he disquised himself, used a familar spirit that took on the form of Samuel as this is why the scripture says Samuel spoke. Look closely at vs. 14, Saul ask what form is he of and the women describe the form and Saul stooped with his face to the ground and bowed himself before the form, not actually seeing it, but only perceiving it was Samuel. The familiar spirit only spoke of things that Saul already knew about God being quiet and why He was quiet toward Saul. The familiar spirit never gave Saul an answer of what he should do. Then the familiar spirit proceeded to tell Saul what was about to happen to him and his sons that they would be in the ground from whench the familiar spirit came from.

The familiar spirit taking on the form of Samuel was not the real Samuel as we read in John 3:13 that no one is in heaven other than God, his holy angels and Jesus. The women saw gods come up from the ground and Saul asked what form he was of and the women described the form and Saul only perceived it was Samuel by the description, but never looked up to see if it was Samuel. Remember, Saul had his face bowed down to the ground and never looked up, but only perceived it to be Samuel by the way the women described what she saw.

The familiar spirit took on the form of Samuel and spoke using the voice of Samuel as this is why Saul recognized his voice and believed it was actually Samuel that spoke. The familiar spirit spoke to Saul and asked why he was asking Samuel what to do seeing that God had already departed from Saul and had become Saul's enemy and then the familiar spirit explained to Saul what would happen and that Saul and his sons would be killed and put into the ground/grave. Just as the familiar spirit who will be cast into the lake of fire so will Saul and his sons as he went against God and God shut himself off from Saul for his disobedience. This is why the familiar spirit told Saul that he and his sons would be with him after they die, meaning they to will be cast into the lake of fire as their names are not written in the Lambs book of life and will face the judgement of God. 1 Samuel 28:15-20.

1 Samuel 25:15 The familiar spirit only repeated that of what Saul told him except his prediction of Saul's death as IMO the familiar spirit knew what happens to those who have familiar spirits and those who pursue after them and that Saul would probably go into battles the next day as the Philistines were ready to attack. Leviticus 19:31; 20:6, 27; 1Chronicles 10:13 are Gods warnings about those with familiar spirits.

1 Samuel 28:12-20 this women, not knowing it was Saul as he disquised himself, used a familar spirit that took on the form of Samuel as this is why the scripture says Samuel spoke. Look closely at vs. 14, Saul ask what form is he of and the women describe the form and Saul stooped with his face to the ground and bowed himself before the form, not actually seeing it, but only perceiving it was Samuel. The familiar spirit only spoke of things that Saul already knew about God being quiet and why He was quiet toward Saul. The familiar spirit never gave Saul an answer of what he should do. Then the familiar spirit proceeded to tell Saul what was about to happen to him and his sons that they would be in the ground from whench the familiar spirit came from.

The familiar spirit taking on the form of Samuel was not the real Samuel as we read in John 3:13 that no one is in heaven other than God, his holy angels and Jesus. The women saw gods come up from the ground and Saul asked what form he was of and the women described the form and Saul only perceived it was Samuel by the description, but never looked up to see if it was Samuel. Remember, Saul had his face bowed down to the ground and never looked up, but only perceived it to be Samuel by the way the women described what she saw.
Thank you for sharing but....

John 3:13 does not apply because the spirit of Samuel was called up from beneath the earth to the land of the living to speak to Saul, not up to Heaven.
The familiar spirit took on the form of Samuel and spoke using the voice of Samuel as this is why Saul recognized his voice and believed it was actually Samuel that spoke. The familiar spirit spoke to Saul and asked why he was asking Samuel what to do seeing that God had already departed from Saul and had become Saul's enemy and then the familiar spirit explained to Saul what would happen and that Saul and his sons would be killed and put into the ground/grave. Just as the familiar spirit who will be cast into the lake of fire so will Saul and his sons as he went against God and God shut himself off from Saul for his disobedience. This is why the familiar spirit told Saul that he and his sons would be with him after they die, meaning they to will be cast into the lake of fire as their names are not written in the Lambs book of life and will face the judgement of God. 1 Samuel 28:15-20.

1 Samuel 25:15 The familiar spirit only repeated that of what Saul told him except his prediction of Saul's death as IMO the familiar spirit knew what happens to those who have familiar spirits and those who pursue after them and that Saul would probably go into battles the next day as the Philistines were ready to attack. Leviticus 19:31; 20:6, 27; 1Chronicles 10:13 are Gods warnings about those with familiar spirits.
Scripture testifies that Saul had perceived the actual Samuel, otherwise the scriptures would have testified that Saul was deceived.

We read on as the scripture testified that it was indeed Samuel speaking and not as a familiar spirit deceiving Saul.

15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?
And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do. 16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy? 17 And the Lord hath done to him, as he spake by me: for the Lord hath rent the kingdom out of thine hand, and given it to thy neighbour, even to David: 18 Because thou obeyedst not the voice of the Lord, nor executedst his fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore hath the Lord done this thing unto thee this day. 19 Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me: the Lord also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.

Scripture testified the impact of Samuel's prophesy from the Lord on Saul afterwards.

20 Then Saul fell straightway all along on the earth, and was sore afraid, because of the words of Samuel: and there was no strength in him; for he had eaten no bread all the day, nor all the night.

Does scripture lie? No. So that medium did contact the spirit of the prophet, Samuel, in calling him up from the earth.

now lets stick in our bibles .
If we notice even samuel who the witch indeed has risen up ,
REBUKED SAUL .
NO where is it okay in the eyes of GOD to do such a thing .
And even the true samuel rebuked saul for such a thing
WHY have you disquited my spirit , IF GOD wont answer you , how can samuel
help you . ITS evil and vile and of satan to seek familiar spirits
however it truly was samuel that was raised up and he did rebuke Saul .

It was samuel who spoke to saul , cause a decieving spirit
would never have told and rebuked saul like samuel had done .
Read that and weep .
But to the other party i say this , READ this and weep as well
ITS EvIL and of satan to use those with familiar spirits to raise up anyone .
I can tell i will soon be the enemy of most all here . But i wont change nor budge .
its JESUS for me and bible for me .

i stand corrected , golgotha , i actually jumped to the conclusion
on another post that both you and heart two soul would not approve of what i said .
DO forgive me for that wrong . By grace may i always be fast to admit
where i was wrong .

i stand corrected , golgotha , i actually jumped to the conclusion
on another post that both you and heart two soul would not approve of what i said .
DO forgive me for that wrong . By grace may i always be fast to admit
where i was wrong .
You are forgiven, brother. Sometimes I myself lose track of the conversation when engaging in more than one thread. By His help, I admit my fault when it is done. I do not think I have done this yet in this forum, but it has been done. Peace, brother.

1 Samuel 28:6 And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets. 7 Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and inquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

A familiar spirit is one you would recognize as this demon spirit took on the form of Samuel and even spoke like him. The woman was the only one who saw that it looked like Samuel as I believe Saul never looked upon him as he asked the woman to describe Samuel. Saul understood this to be Samuel and as he stooped with his face to the ground as he bowed before him. It was a familiar spirit that looked and spoke like Samuel as that is why scripture says "and Samuel said to Saul".

1 Samuel 28:15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do. 16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the LORD is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?
(Go back and read vs. 6)

In Saul's distress he was grasping for anything that would ease his distress and fear as he knew if Samuel was still alive he would tell Saul what to do. What this familiar spirit spoke to him in vs. 16-19 made Saul even more afraid so much that he fell flat on the ground for he had no strength left in him for he had not eaten bread all day nor all the night.

1 Samuel 28:6 And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets. 7 Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and inquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

A familiar spirit is one you would recognize as this demon spirit took on the form of Samuel and even spoke like him. The woman was the only one who saw that it looked like Samuel as I believe Saul never looked upon him as he asked the woman to describe Samuel. Saul understood this to be Samuel and as he stooped with his face to the ground as he bowed before him. It was a familiar spirit that looked and spoke like Samuel as that is why scripture says "and Samuel said to Saul".

1 Samuel 28:15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do. 16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the LORD is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?
(Go back and read vs. 6)

In Saul's distress he was grasping for anything that would ease his distress and fear as he knew if Samuel was still alive he would tell Saul what to do. What this familiar spirit spoke to him in vs. 16-19 made Saul even more afraid so much that he fell flat on the ground for he had no strength left in him for he had not eaten bread all day nor all the night.
Don't you think scripture tells us the truth? So if it wasn't really Samuel, why would scripture said it was Samuel that spoke or written it that it was Samuel? Why not say it was a familiar spirit as the truth so readers would know it was not really Samuel?

Don't you think scripture tells us the truth? So if it wasn't really Samuel, why would scripture said it was Samuel that spoke or written it that it was Samuel? Why not say it was a familiar spirit as the truth so readers would know it was not really Samuel?
Exactly . the scripture would have made it very clear if it was not really samuel .
However , i feel led to remind us all , not to seek out those soothsayers
or those with familiar spirits .
The scrips always make things clear .

12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul.

There is another bit of interesting detail here, When the witch saw Samuel she was frightened. She expected a trick, a demon spirit, but GOD sent the real Samuel, no witch had that power. God's message to Saul was the same.

Back