Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Did the Devil tempt God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Isaiah 14:12-15 How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High. " But you are brought down to the grave,to the depths of the pit.

Wait... Satan will make himself like the Most High? Is it possible he thinks he can do that? It would seem so...

The Temptation of Christ.
Yes, satan tempted God, the Son, Christ.

1st Temptation.

Christ is the Bread of Life, and the Word. He is our Eternal Salvation, and God. We, believers are partakers of the BREAD, and it is because of God's MERCY, and so that we should not die, but live!...Just as David, was allowed to eat the show bread for life, so are we, but unto eternal life!

Matthew 4:1-11 (in red)
Lets look at the passage, and break it down. We know that Jesus had just been 40 days, and nights, fasting and praying.

1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

Israel was also taken through the Wilderness, and was tempted. Deuteronomy 8:2

2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

The children of Israel were allowed to go hungry, and God gave them manna FROM Heaven. Exodus 16:14-15

3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

Obviously, Christ was hungry, and had the divine power to command bread, but instead He answered with a quote from Scripture.

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
Deuteronomy 8:3

Jesus is the WORD, that proceeds eternally from the Father.

In Deuteronomy 8:3 It is evident that the manna they ate, the bread from Heaven, was temporal, but God was telling them that they shall live by the WORD...John 1:1 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

Christ also tells us that He is the bread of life, the MANNA from Heaven. Well, in John 6:22-59 we find that Jesus declares Himself to be the Bread of Life...the manna that was sent by the Father from Heaven...come down from Heaven.

John 6:31-33

31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world
34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

So, we can understand that the first temptation, the lust of the flesh, was resisted in that Christ did not use His divine power to make stones into bread to prove He was the Son of God, the Word...God. He is the Word, the Bread of life, and the MANNA from Heaven, and this is our sign. Satan, demanded a sign from Christ to prove that He was the Son of God. The pharisees also demanded a sign, remember? Satan ensnared Himself, revealing his own guilt of not believing God.

2nd Temptation

Christ is the Rock, and from Him proceeds the Living Water, the Holy Spirit...that was also sent by the Father, out of the Rock.

5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Psalm 91:9-12

9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12 They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Satan, being true to his deceptive nature twists this Scripture about the godly trusting in God, and abiding in Him, THE MOST HIGH, to justify tempting God. Interesting, given that is exactly what he was doing himself, because Christ the LORD, THE MOST HIGH is exactly who the godly are abiding in! He was tempting God! Odd that satan takes Him to a high place for this. He tempts Christ with the pride of life here, and Christ does not throw himself down to prove to satan that the angels can be called on. He did not call the angels to save Him from the cross either, but submited willingly to the Father's will, and died for our sin...satan would bruise His heal. The covenant though, is that the Father would raise Him, and He did. Christ will bruise satan's head.

7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Jesus quotes from Deuteronomy again, Deuteronomy 6:16 recalling Massah "Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah."

The incident of Israel tempting God in Massah.

Exodus 17:2-7

1 And all the congregation of the children of Israel journeyed from the wilderness of Sin, after their journeys, according to the commandment of the LORD, and pitched in Rephidim: and there was no water for the people to drink.
2 Wherefore the people did chide with Moses, and said, Give us water that we may drink. And Moses said unto them, Why chide ye with me? wherefore do ye tempt the LORD?
3 And the people thirsted there for water; and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou hast brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst?
4 And Moses cried unto the LORD, saying, What shall I do unto this people? they be almost ready to stone me.
5 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go on before the people, and take with thee of the elders of Israel; and thy rod, wherewith thou smotest the river, take in thine hand, and go.
6 Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel.
7 And he called the name of the place Massah, and Meribah, because of the chiding of the children of Israel, and because they tempted the LORD, saying, Is the LORD among us, or not?

Jesus declares that He is the Rock out of which flows the living water, the Holy Spirit. God provided (sent) the water from the Rock...The Holy Spirit, the Living Water, proceeds from both God, the Father, and God the Son, the Rock.

The Woman at the Well. Christ, the gift of God, is able to give the Holy Spirit, the Water, for the purpose of Salvation.

John 4:10-14

10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Christ is the Rock

1 Corinthians 10:1-4

1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

The Spirit is the water.

John 7:37-39

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

3rd Temptation.

8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

Satan is the ruler of the world, and he offers it to Christ in return for worship. Christ was not a sacrifice unto satan, but God...we are partakers of the alter...You can not drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of demons, you can not partake of the Lord's table, and that of demons. Satan, by offering Christ power, in return for worship, wanted Christ to leave us in his grip, and we would have died in our sin. He resisted, in the flesh, to take power of the world right then for the sake of our salvation, not because He couldn't, but because if He had he would have broken the covenant, and this would have served satan. Fulfilling the immediate desire to be out of His humble state, and be once again in all His glory, as God, was resisted....the lust of the eyes...but the world will be His to rule once all enemies are under His feet, and He will deliver it to the Father according to the Father's will....this is who Christ, being God, was serving in His flesh. This was because of the eternal covenant.

I Corinthians 10:16-22

16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.
18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?
19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?
20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.
21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Satan should have been worshipping Christ, and serving Him, but once again he (satan) was the one guilty of the very thing he was tempting Christ with, he worshiped Himself before God, and Christ having a divine eternal inheritance, being God, did not even do this, but did the will of the Father.

Deuteronomy 6:13-15

13 Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name.
14 Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;
15 (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.

Israel failed in this, and did not resist temptation as Christ did. Deuteronomy 8:2 I think verse 15 was Christ explaining satan's fate to him, it caused him to leave.

11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

The Lord bless all of you.

lovely said:
The Temptation of Christ.
Yes, satan tempted God, the Son, Christ.

1st Temptation.

Christ is the Bread of Life, and the Word. He is our Eternal Salvation, and God. We, believers are partakers of the BREAD, and it is because of God's MERCY, and so that we should not die, but live!...Just as David, was allowed to eat the show bread for life, so are we, but unto eternal life!

Matthew 4:1-11 (in red)
Lets look at the passage, and break it down. We know that Jesus had just been 40 days, and nights, fasting and praying.

1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

Israel was also taken through the Wilderness, and was tempted. Deuteronomy 8:2

2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

The children of Israel were allowed to go hungry, and God gave them manna FROM Heaven. Exodus 16:14-15

3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

Obviously, Christ was hungry, and had the divine power to command bread, but instead He answered with a quote from Scripture.

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Jesus is the WORD, that proceeds eternally from the Father.

In Deuteronomy 8:3 It is evident that the manna they ate, the bread from Heaven, was temporal, but God was telling them that they shall live by the WORD...John 1:1 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

Christ also tells us that He is the bread of life, the MANNA from Heaven. Well, in John 6:22-59 we find that Jesus declares Himself to be the Bread of Life...the manna that was sent by the Father from Heaven...come down from Heaven.

John 6:31-33

31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world
34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

So, we can understand that the first temptation, the lust of the flesh, was resisted in that Christ did not use His divine power to make stones into bread to prove He was the Son of God, the Word...God. He is the Word, the Bread of life, and the MANNA from Heaven, and this is our sign. Satan, demanded a sign from Christ to prove that He was the Son of God. The pharisees also demanded a sign, remember? Satan ensnared Himself, revealing his own guilt of not believing God.

2nd Temptation

Christ is the Rock, and from Him proceeds the Living Water, the Holy Spirit...that was also sent by the Father, out of the Rock.

5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Psalm 91:9-12

9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12 They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Satan, being true to his deceptive nature twists this Scripture about the godly trusting in God, and abiding in Him, THE MOST HIGH, to justify tempting God. Interesting, given that is exactly what he was doing himself, because Christ the LORD, THE MOST HIGH is exactly who the godly are abiding in! He was tempting God! Odd that satan takes Him to a high place for this. He tempts Christ with the pride of life here, and Christ does not throw himself down to prove to satan that the angels can be called on. He did not call the angels to save Him from the cross either, but submited willingly to the Father's will, and died for our sin...satan would bruise His heal. The covenant though, is that the Father would raise Him, and He did. Christ will bruise satan's head.

7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Jesus quotes from Deuteronomy again, Deuteronomy 6:16 recalling Massah "Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah."

The incident of Israel tempting God in Massah.

Exodus 17:2-7

1 And all the congregation of the children of Israel journeyed from the wilderness of Sin, after their journeys, according to the commandment of the LORD, and pitched in Rephidim: and there was no water for the people to drink.
2 Wherefore the people did chide with Moses, and said, Give us water that we may drink. And Moses said unto them, Why chide ye with me? wherefore do ye tempt the LORD?
3 And the people thirsted there for water; and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou hast brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst?
4 And Moses cried unto the LORD, saying, What shall I do unto this people? they be almost ready to stone me.
5 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go on before the people, and take with thee of the elders of Israel; and thy rod, wherewith thou smotest the river, take in thine hand, and go.
6 Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel.
7 And he called the name of the place Massah, and Meribah, because of the chiding of the children of Israel, and because they tempted the LORD, saying, Is the LORD among us, or not?

Jesus declares that He is the Rock out of which flows the living water, the Holy Spirit. God provided (sent) the water from the Rock...The Holy Spirit, the Living Water, proceeds from both God, the Father, and God the Son, the Rock.

The Woman at the Well. Christ, the gift of God, is able to give the Holy Spirit, the Water, for the purpose of Salvation.

John 4:10-14

10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Christ is the Rock

1 Corinthians 10:1-4

1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

The Spirit is the water.

John 7:37-39

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

3rd Temptation.

8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

Satan is the ruler of the world, and he offers it to Christ in return for worship. Christ was not a sacrifice unto satan, but God...we are partakers of the alter...You can not drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of demons, you can not partake of the Lord's table, and that of demons. Satan, by offering Christ power, in return for worship, wanted Christ to leave us in his grip, and we would have died in our sin. He resisted, in the flesh, to take power of the world right then for the sake of our salvation, not because He couldn't, but because if He had he would have broken the covenant, and this would have served satan. Fulfilling the immediate desire to be out of His humble state, and be once again in all His glory, as God, was resisted....the lust of the eyes...but the world will be His to rule once all enemies are under His feet, and He will deliver it to the Father according to the Father's will....this is who Christ, being God, was serving in His flesh. This was because of the eternal covenant.

I Corinthians 10:16-22

16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.
18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?
19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?
20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.
21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Satan should have been worshipping Christ, and serving Him, but once again he (satan) was the one guilty of the very thing he was tempting Christ with, he worshiped Himself before God, and Christ having a divine eternal inheritance, being God, did not even do this, but did the will of the Father.

Deuteronomy 6:13-15

13 Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name.
14 Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;
15 (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.

Israel failed in this, and did not resist temptation as Christ did. Deuteronomy 8:2 I think verse 15 was Christ explaining satan's fate to him, it caused him to leave.

11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

The Lord bless all of you.

Thanks much! :wink: Very good post, ---John

WoW georges.
Your post with a simple answer got a lot of action pretty quick.
First consider the source. Satan, '' the father of lies'' He new very well who Jesus was and Is. Satan also new that He himself is the God of this world. Paul calls him the God of this age. Satan in his arrogance still thinks he is above God all mighty. Same as when he was the head angel before God kicked him the hell (pun intended) out of heaven with one third of his demons. Satan also new why he came to earth as he knows the scriptures better than Christians do. Afterall he has been there from the beginning. Now many have already adressed and given answeres to your cookoo question.
Next :-D :-D

vic said:
Thanks much! Very good post, ---John

Way to go Lovely! He doesn't say that to most people. Next he'll be telling you that you missed your calling! LOL

(inside joke)

No joke! :roll:

Now you got me forgetting what subject this thread is? :wink:
But that remark was made a long time back! What is interesting about it, is that you mentioned it this morning, and I had just said something in another post about that remark to that person. Providential? :fadein:

Anyway, you do believe in gifts, callings, & the such? surely. I have always thought that if I leaned toward any of these, it might be K.J. 1 Corinthians 12:10 second & third mention? Whatever, huh?

--John

jgredline said:
WoW georges.
First consider the source. Satan, '' the father of lies'' He new very well who Jesus was and Is. Satan also new that He himself is the God of this world. Paul calls him the God of this age. Satan in his arrogance still thinks he is above God all mighty. Same as when he was the head angel before God kicked him the hell (pun intended) out of heaven with one third of his demons. Satan also new why he came to earth as he knows the scriptures better than Christians do. Afterall he has been there from the beginning. Now many have already adressed and given answeres to your cookoo question.

:wink:

undertow said:
Matthew 4:8-9 KJV Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

This is a very strange way to tempt Jesus if the devil knows that he is God. Why would the devil try and tempt God by offering him something (kingdoms of the world) that was all created by God in the first place? Jesus could have said, "Thanks, but I already own all the kingdoms of the world, I actually made them you know."

Very 'astute' observation my friend.

To add a little 'tid bit' to it, here's a good one:

James 1:13, 14

13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

I KNOW what this MEANS to ME, what does it MEAN to 'others'? Something 'deep and philosophical' I'll bet.

NO, not really! Christ was tempted as was Adam the man. See James 1:15 in the K.J. version. (I never know what pops up in the other versions?) Being tempted is not sin.
---John

John,

Couldn't HELP but notice that you avoided ANY KIND of statement concerning this:

James 1:13

13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Please note that it says NOTHING about God 'bending' to temptation, it states SIMPLY that God CANNOT be tempted.

Now, if Jesus WERE God, that would make His 'temptations' a 'fabricated' event and NOT one that 'really' happened. Yet, we KNOW that the story IS TRUE. For we KNOW that the Bible, (KJV), IS the TRUTH. So, if God CANNOT be tempted, and a simple man such as James KNEW this, could Satan has been SO IGNORANT that he DIDN'T KNOW this? And IF Satan DID KNOW it, OBVIOUSLY he could NOT have tempted God. Even in the flesh, God would STILL BE GOD.

No one EVER said anything about either God OR Christ sinning. I think EVERYONE HAS agreed that Chirst DID NOT sin. So that is NOT the point. The point was COULD He have if He had so chosen. OR, was God tempted upon the 'temptation of Christ'? Or was it simply a case of The Son of God being tempted and resisting such? For ALSO, we have the words of Christ Himself stating that God IS NOT TO BE TEMPTED. NOT referring to Himself AS God, but offering that Satan would NOT encourage Christ to tempt God.

MEC

Imagican said:
John,

Couldn't HELP but notice that you avoided ANY KIND of statement concerning this:

Please note that it says NOTHING about God 'bending' to temptation, it states SIMPLY that God CANNOT be tempted.

Now, if Jesus WERE God, that would make His 'temptations' a 'fabricated' event and NOT one that 'really' happened. Yet, we KNOW that the story IS TRUE. For we KNOW that the Bible, (KJV), IS the TRUTH. So, if God CANNOT be tempted, and a simple man such as James KNEW this, could Satan has been SO IGNORANT that he DIDN'T KNOW this? And IF Satan DID KNOW it, OBVIOUSLY he could NOT have tempted God. Even in the flesh, God would STILL BE GOD.

No one EVER said anything about either God OR Christ sinning. I think EVERYONE HAS agreed that Chirst DID NOT sin. So that is NOT the point. The point was COULD He have if He had so chosen. OR, was God tempted upon the 'temptation of Christ'? Or was it simply a case of The Son of God being tempted and resisting such? For ALSO, we have the words of Christ Himself stating that God IS NOT TO BE TEMPTED. NOT referring to Himself AS God, but offering that Satan would NOT encourage Christ to tempt God.

MEC

I guess that I thought that 'i' made my position known? :oops:

The Godhead had the Eternal Gospel plan! Revelation 14:6 They decided in eternity that when their first of creation rebelled, that they would permit sin to run its course, ONCE! See another reason for Christ's mission! Isaiah 42:21 then Nahum 1:9. They became on trial so to speak in the universe. So as to settle the 'sin' question, they PERMITTED Lucifer (and us) to do his thing for a time. Then comes Obadiah 1:16

Everything on the man/side of Christ/God, surely could have sinned. Both Adam (at first) and Christ/God/man did not have the propensity (He needed no conversion, He was converted at birth) to do so, as I see it.
Yet, Christ was in the body of 4000 years of sin's contamination. He lived the perfect life as a carnal bodied man, not using the Divinity of Himself, but only that of the God we know as Father.
And at the birth of Christ, is when the Godhead had the Father & the Son consummated. Once again: Psalms 2:7, Acts 13:33, and Hebrews 1:1-5 Even notice the time/period of when He became the Father in the last part of the verse! (I use all K.J. as a rule)

Does that not sound like what I believe?? :wink:
--John

Hi Mec
I know the question was adressed to john and I am sure he will be along to give you a good answer, but if may add my 2 cents worth.

Imagican said:
John,

Mec
First of all here is where we come to a crossroads. While Jesus is God he gave himself COMPLETLY over to his humanity. He got hungry, he got tired, he got thirsty and the devil did temp him. Could he have sinned? No because while he was completely in human form, he is also still God.
Jesus is simply the second part of the God head. I know many people feel they need to be able to understand how this could be and there will never be an answer that will satisfy you.

MEC

jgredline said:
WoW georges.
First consider the source. Satan, '' the father of lies'' He new very well who Jesus was and Is.

I agree....Satan knew Jesus wasn't Jehovah...therefore he could be tempted...

Satan also new that He himself is the God of this world. Paul calls him the God of this age. Satan in his arrogance still thinks he is above God all mighty.

I know Satan doesn't believe he is above God...he knows he is subjective to Jehovah's whim...When Satan is rebuked, he is done so by God. However, Satan does aspire to be equal to God....

Same as when he was the head angel before God kicked him the hell (pun intended) out of heaven with one third of his demons.

Um J....Satan hasn't been kicked out of heaven yet...As seen in Zech he is still allowed "as the adversary" to be in God's presence....It isn't until midway through the future tribulation period that he is kicked out...

Satan also new why he came to earth as he knows the scriptures better than Christians do. Afterall he has been there from the beginning. Now many have already adressed and given answeres to your cookoo question.

Cookoo.... :silly: :biggrin

To everyone,

Hebrews 5:1-11

This passage teaches us that Christ was appointed our priest because of His divine inheritance, according to Melchizedek, but that in His flesh He was sanctified through obedience to become our eternal salvation through His spotless sacrifice. He was fully God, and fully man, and here, walking in the flesh, in was by the Holy Spirit that He was guided. He was tempted, in His flesh, so that as a Priest of divine origin, He could be understanding of man's struggle, and could sympathize with us, being sanctified himself in the flesh as a man through obedience, even though He was God's Son. This is an example of what Christ did for us by way of the eternal covenant. Hebrews 13:20 He was born of the Holy Spirit, and of Mary. He was the Son of God, and the Son of Man...both.

The Lord bless you all.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back