Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Doctrine of Sanctification by A. W. Pink

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

JM

I just wanted to post a few quotes from Pink on sanctification, I hope you find his work helpful.

"There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness" (Prov. 30:12). Although they had never been cleansed by the Holy Spirit, nor their hearts purified by faith, (Acts 15:9), yet they esteemed themselves to be pure, and had not the least sense of their foul defilement. Such a generation were the self-righteous Pharisees of Christ’s day: they were constantly cleansing their hands and cups, engaged in an interminable round of ceremonial washings, yet were they thoroughly ignorant of the fact that within they were filled with all manner of defilement (Matt. 23:25-28).

Now the exercise of Christ’s mediation is discharged under His threefold office. As to His priestly, the immediate effects Were the making of satisfaction and reconciliation, but the mediate effects are our justification and sanctification: "Who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works" (Titus 2 :14)â€â€no unholy people, then, have any sure evidence of an interest in Christ’s sacrifice. As to His prophetic office, this consists in His revelation to us of God’s love and will: to make God known and to bring us into subjection unto Him. At the very beginning of His prophetic ministry we find Christ restoring the Law to its original purityâ€â€purging it from the corruptions of the Jews: Matt. 5. As to His kingly office, He subdues our lusts and supplies power for obedience. It is by these things we are to test ourselves. To live in known and allowed sin, and yet expect to be saved by Christ is the master deception of Satan.

That personal holiness is absolutely essential for an entrance into Heaven was shown at length in our last chapter, and that what men regard as the lesser pollutions of sin just as effectually exclude from the kingdom of God as do the most heinous crimes, is clear from 1 Cor. 6:9, 10. The question which forces itself upon us is, How shall men be sanctified so as to suit an infinitely pure God? That we must be justified before we can stand before a righteous God is no more obvious than that it is necessary that we must be sanctified so as to live in the presence of a holy God. But man is utterly without holiness; yea, he is impure, foul, filthy. The testimony of Scripture on this point is plain and full. "They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. The Lord looked down from haven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy" (Ps. 14:1-3).

The Christian has been sanctified by the triune Jehovah: infinite wisdom and fathomless grace so ordered it that he is indebted to each of the Eternal Three. The Lord God designed that all the Persons in the blessed Trinity should be honored in the making holy of His people, so that each of Them might be distinctively praised by us. First, the Father sanctified His people by an eternal decree, choosing them in Christ before the foundation of the world and predestinating them unto the adoption of children. Second, the Son sanctified His people by procuring for them a perfect and inalienable standing before the Judge of all, the infinite merits of His finished work being reckoned to their account. Third, God the Spirit makes good the Father’s decree and imparts to them what the work of Christ procured for them: the Spirit is the actual Securer of sanctification, applying it to their persons. Thus the believer has abundant cause to adore and glorify the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/ ... cation.htm

Isn't our God an awesome God! Even though we are filthy and unclean. He decided before time began to lift some out of the mud and cleanse them. To make them his children, even an unwilling creature that hated him. He softens the heart and begins the process of regeneration so that they will come to him and call him Lord! I am not worthy of his love but I am one of his children that he choose because I haven't the ability to choose him without his prodding.

This post is absolutely nothing more than my own personal opinion.

I think that Jason's post is putting way to much emphasis on theology and knowledge. I prefer to study how to become more Christlike and then apply these principals in my life.

When we get to heaven God won't be asking us how deep our understanding of theology is. We will be judged according to our works and if we followed the Great Commandment to love God and love others.

Maybe for some people part of the pathway to fulfill that is by studying theology and that is fine because I am the judge of no man or woman.

Love you all.

archer said:
Isn't our God an awesome God! Even though we are filthy and unclean. He decided before time began to lift some out of the mud and cleanse them. To make them his children, even an unwilling creature that hated him. He softens the heart and begins the process of regeneration so that they will come to him and call him Lord! I am not worthy of his love but I am one of his children that he choose because I haven't the ability to choose him without his prodding.

Our God is an awesome God brother, our walk as Christians is in direct relation to our understanding of God and His glory...our sin and inability...His work in us and not our work to be more Christ like....to echo John Owen..."when the waters of sin are quiet, sin is the deepest!"

Can I get an AMEN!

When we get to heaven God won't be asking us how deep our understanding of theology is. We will be judged according to our works and if we followed the Great Commandment to love God and love others.

If you're able to think about God (which is what theology is: thinking about God) as well as live a good life, wouldn't it be best to do both...as an effort to learn about our God?

Jason said:

If you're able to think about God (which is what theology is: thinking about God) as well as live a good life, wouldn't it be best to do both...as an effort to learn about our God?
I always thought theology is more of a system of doctrine based upon preconceived bias of what the Scriptures say.

Hmm......maybe I need to look into it more.

Be blessed, Scofield, er Jason. ;)

I understand what you're saying Dime, I used to hate the words 'religion' and 'dogma' etc. Little did I know, that what I believed was dogma and religion...but it wasn't Biblical.

I also understand that some folks get caught up (not raptured :angel: ) with theology and make it an idol...idols are always a problem with fallen sinnful man.

If we don't read the Bible and think about what God is telling us in the Bible we may come to the wrong conclusions. (systematic) Theology is the grouping of doctrines based on our thoughts about what is written in the Word of God...

You may believe in the Trinity (as I do), but why? Did you search the scripture and think about what God was telling you about that doctrine, that's theology and that's important.

Godly living is vital, thinking about God and having the right thoughts about what God wants of us is also vital...two sides to the same coin.

Peace brother.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back