Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

reddogs

Some claim that the Sabbath doesnt exist anymore because Christ didnt teach it or repeat it as part of the Commandments, so what did Jesus say?
According to the following verse I’d say that Christ clearly shows that His Sabbath would still be observed after His death:
Matthew 24:20
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

The context of this verse is that Christ was warning the disciples about the destruction of Jerusalem, which occurred in 70 AD at the hands of the Roman army. Christ prophesied that this event would happen and it did. Why would Christ be concerned that people observe the Sabbath day at a time that would have been about 40 years after His death if His death was supposed to abolish it? Hmm, we have to rethink some of these ideas on it being done away with..

If you look, Jesus Christ and the apostles lived and taught in a culture that definitely knew about and kept the Sabbath. Jesus’ confrontations with the Pharisees were over how to observe the Sabbath, never over whether to observe it as the Pharisees had twisted it with all their oral traditions and rules. Christ clearly shows He did not abolish it in what He said..
Matthew 5:17
"17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Then we see Christ say what people have done in following 'tradition' and not God..
Mark 7:6-9
"6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition...

9 there doth remain, then, a sabbatic rest to the people of God, ylt Heb4:9

9 Consequently, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God nasb

9 Consequently there remains a Sabbath sabbatismos rest for the peoplel of God

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back