Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Does James 2 Teach Works for Salvation?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
That is a "no you have not put to death the things mentioned in Col 5."
It isn't a process, it is the death of the old man. (Rom 6:6, Gal 5:24)
It is a moment to moment thing.
You either choose to follow the voice of the flesh or the voice of the Spirit as each circumstance in life presents itself. You'll learn through use of the word to follow the Spirit more often in life's experiences and circumstances.

It's great that you are off drugs and alcohol or whatever it is that you used to be in bondage to but you're deluding yourself if you think you've been walking in sinless perfection since the day you were saved. You must think that you're sinlessly perfect because you've been taught that you have to be, or else you're not saved. You are in the delusion of a cult teaching. A very false and deceitful cult teaching.

See, if it was true that the flesh was dead in the way you claim it is dead it would not be alive to tempt you. But as it is we know that the flesh does tempt us, indicating it is not dead the way you say it is dead. It's power and authority over us is dead, not it's potential to tempt us and cause us to sin. The counsel of scripture is to consider it dead and not listen to it's voice.
It doesn't tempt me.
The devil tempts me.
He uses the past memories of the now dead fleshly minded man to try and reconquer what was once his.

I expect the flesh to try to reassert it's authority over me. An authority it no longer has but will try to deceive me into thinking it still has.
It can't though, unless your repentance from sin was a lie, and you didn't receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (2 Cor 7:10)
Or were not baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins and into Christ. (Acts 2:38, Rom 6:3)

Your answer hints that nothing else is expected of you with the gift of rebirth.
I expected you to answer with "the power to resist temptation, and strengthened/answered prayers".
And "intuitively avoiding the people and places that were once your undoing".
And "the ability to determine who was actually "of God"."
And "the ability to make time every single day for prayer and reading the bible".
I hope you only wrote the "first thing" that came into your mind.

Your answer hints that nothing else is expected of you with the gift of rebirth.
I expected you to answer with "the power to resist temptation, and strengthened/answered prayers".
And "intuitively avoiding the people and places that were once your undoing".
And "the ability to determine who was actually "of God"."
And "the ability to make time every single day for prayer and reading the bible".
I hope you only wrote the "first thing" that came into your mind.
I answered within the context of the discussion - the flesh and how we are to resist its call and consider it dead.

Have you ever bought deeds for a garden?
What do you expect to see when you plant cucumbers?
Potatoes?
What would you expect to see from the seed of God?
Liars,, adulterers, and thieves?
God's seed cannot bring forth the fruit of the devil. (Gen 1:11-12, 1 John 3:9)

No need to change the subject again.

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:7-9

As we all plainly see, it is we Christians who can confess our sins and be forgiven.

JLB

But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

As we all plainly see, it is we Christians who can confess our sins and be forgive
Can non-Christians confess their sins, get washed by the blood of Christ, and start walking in God?
Can they then say they have fellowship with God and have no sin?

As we all plainly see, it is we Christians who can confess our sins and be forgiven.
Your post makes it look like there IS darkness in light.
Sinners walking in God?
Not according to 1 John 1:5..."This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."

Your post makes it look like there IS darkness in light.
Sinners walking in God?
Not according to 1 John 1:5..."This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."

My post is 1 John 1:7-9

If you believe you are sinless, and “we” and “us” refer to the devils people then that is your choice.

JLB

My post is 1 John 1:7-9

If you believe you are sinless, and “we” and “us” refer to the devils people then that is your choice.
So the devilish walk in God?
I cannot agree, in light of 1 John 1:5.
If nobody can be cleansed of all sin, then your POV is correct and 1 John 1:7 and 9 are lies.
And, Jesus died in vain.

I thank God for allowing me to see that John's writing style juxtaposes those who walk in God, (the light), with those who walk in sin, (the darkness).
Verses 5, 7, and 9 pertain to those walking in God while verses 6, 8, and 10 pertain to those who walk in sin.
If anybody besides those walking in sin say they have no sin, they are telling the truth.
Only those walking in sin cannot say they have so sin.

Back