Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Dr. John Sanford interview

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
A bit past the first. The one in which Sanford is blinking, stuttering, and fidgiting while trying to explain why he believes the vast majority of mutations aren't really neutral after all.

What a pathetic, irresponsible response, Barbarian. You've deeply disappointed me - again.

Sanford made several very important statements: the most important being that there is a net deterioration of the human genome with every passing generation. He says that human population geneticists know the truth and are shutting up about it.

As a responsible person, in attacking the man, rather than what he says, you have failed in your duty to us and to yourself, with this response.

You ought to produce some proof that he is lying - apart from his stuttering and blinking. Those may well be nervous tics etc.

Remember Hitler? He looked the German people straight in the eye, spoke fluently, and lied and lied and lied.

So go find some papers which confirm that statement, and some which deny it.

After all, you said that you have access, which I don't.

Good hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barbarian chuckles:
You got it backwards. Darwin started out as a creationist of sorts, and the evidence convinced him of evolution.

Matters a lot. It demonstrates that your claim is false.
So to you it matters more that darwin believed his ideal instead of what God says? Scripture says a lot about that.

You got that backwards too. Sanford became a fundamentalist first, and then turned his back on science.
Sanford seen his findings would need a creator and became a theistic evolutionist for ten years, he then looked at the evidence from both sides (like everyone should) and decided the evidence for creation as the Bible declares trumps darwins hypothesis. He said untill then he did not consider himself a critical thinker, and the darwin hypothesis was a house of cards falling apart. I can provide you a video ( yes a video I watch/listen to a lot of them while traveling). with the time he states this.

Flew thinks the Christian God is a "cosmic Saddam Hussein." I'm not sure who he turned to, but that's not God.

Yes, it does matter. It should matter to you, too. If that's your idea of "turning to God", then we'll just have to disagree.
What Flew turned to not sure, never read his statement of faith or listened to much from him, only thing I was pointing out he saw the problem with the darwin theory.

To me it don't matter, realality trumps opinion, but you brought up darwins opinion. I was just showing you darwins is just a man and like all men have no authority over God's word.

Darwin thought God created the first living things. That might not mean anything to you, but it does give lie to your claim that evolution was designed to promote atheism.
Did darwin not speculate about a warm little pond with all the right chemicals that maybe...... ? Darwin put the ideal of spontaneous generation out there to hang, I believe if it was not for his wife that did not like his theory because it pushed God away, he might of ran with his speculation.

Barbarian, regarding why one should provide evidence for one's claims:
It would do wonders for your credibility, for one thing. But I see you have no idea what "information" means in biology, so you're not going to venture a guess.
In biology it is a genetic code, with its support mechanisms. It is still very complex, don't believe any one fully understands it.

Barbarian, regarding "information" claim:
Show us that. Use whatever method you want to analyze the two, and show us how you did it.

Since you've brought up "information", just focus on dinsaurs to birds. Show us that there would have to be an increase in "information" for that to happen. With numbers and show us how you did the analysis.
It would go a long way to restoring your credibility.

I'm asking you to show us. That will require some numbers.

Dinosaurs had feathers. Try again.

Barbarian observes:
I showed you how every new mutation adds information to a population. I even did the number for you. C'mon, do you think people didn't notice?
Since you've been repeatedly challenged to show that Gould said it, and repeatedly refused to do that, your claim isn't taken very seriously. Did you really think it doesn't matter if you don't support your claims?
I am not wasting my time on assumptions of what evolution claims with a theory of information, when it is obvious if something developed new genes in a genome that created a new feature ( for instance an invertebrate developed a backbone) then yes that would be pretty obvious of new information.

Was Gould ever interviewed and asked this question no, so it is clear you will never find his answer written in clear words that you are looking for. His view was clear even by his colleague who slightly disagreed with him.

My colleague Stephen Jay Gould tends towards a no answer.
http://www.skeptics.com.au/publications/articles/the-information-challenge/

Barbarian suggests:
I very much doubt that Dawkin's said "microbes to man", which is a creationist strawman. But you're on. Show us that he said it.

(couldn't show it)
For the second time, is that not what he is saying? Looks like to me he is saying men came from microbes.
there has been a broad overall trend towards increased information content during the course of human evolution from our remote bacterial ancestors
http://www.skeptics.com.au/publications/articles/the-information-challenge/

That's a testable belief. Show me something a bird has, that couldn't have evolved from dinosaurs.
I will start more simple for you, show me how an invertebrate developed a backbone, show me how a single cell organism can change into a fish without adding features? You have been asked to do this many times and have declined.

The evidence shows that this happened gradually, from the chordates. Want to learn about it?
You can show you assumptions all you want, all you can say is this may have happened.

Well, you know how childish Barbarians are...
If that is the group you put yourself in as a believer.

Now would be the time to bring it out, then.
We have showed you, you just chose to ignore it and be blinded by a delusion, which many people will be blinded by. Your bandwagon does not help you any.

Nope. They cling to their new doctrine of "life ex nihilo."

I believe God created man as he said he did from dust. He created everything like he said he did. If God stated he created the first life form and after millions and billions of years it changed into all the life you see, you could then say you believe Genesis. But you can't. BTW Are you saying God is not powerful enough to make something out of nothing?

Barbarian once again you are wasting a lot of my time with unrelated topics. Time is precious to me. I have a job, a family and responsibilities to proclaim the Gospel. I have sermons to work on family things to do. You need to stay on topic. I should of done this a lot earlier in the last thread, but will here. Pre warning anything you post off topic to the videos will not be answered and I would hope the mod will remove it.:thumbsup

What a pathetic, irresponsible response, Barbarian. You've deeply disappointed me - again.

Sanford made several very important statements: the most important being that there is a net deterioration of the human genome with every passing generation. He says that human population geneticists know the truth and are shutting up about it.

As a responsible person, in attacking the man, rather than what he says, you have failed in your duty to us and to yourself, with this response.

You ought to produce some proof that he is lying - apart from his stuttering and blinking. Those may well be nervous tics etc.

Remember Hitler? He looked the German people straight in the eye, spoke fluently, and lied and lied and lied.

After all, you said that you have access, which I don't.

Good hunting.

Couldn't agree more, so far we have two pages of wasted time.

Barbarian observes:
A bit past the first. The one in which Sanford is blinking, stuttering, and fidgiting while trying to explain why he believes the vast majority of mutations aren't really neutral after all.

What a pathetic, irresponsible response, Barbarian.

I don't think attacking me is going to help you. Here you show a competent scientist, saying something that is contrary to the evidence, and contrary to the findings of geneticists everywhere, and he's showing all the behaviors observed in people trying to deceive.

So what does the research reveal?

When lying people are more likely to:

offer shorter responses
make more speech errors - more um's, er's ah's...
blink more
fidget more

http://www.truthaboutdeception.com/lying-and-deception/detecting-deception/nonverbal-cues.html

Ah, the Great Worldwide Geneticist Cover-up Conspiracy. "They are all liars." isn't a very credible defense, either.

Did you notice when he stopped those behaviors? Isn't that a clue, too?

From the same site:
On a side note it should be pointed out that:

People do NOT break eye contact when lying

Liars as well as truth-tellers are, on average, just as likely to "look you in the eye."

Now, blinking, fidgeting, and stammering isn't proof of deception, but when someone does all that, and then goes on to something else and behaves normally, it becomes more telling. Especially when you find that the person is saying something that is contradicted by the evidence and is generally held to be false by people who study the issue.

You'll have to get your own evidence. It's not up to us to support your claims. If you can't do it, why should we believe you know what you're talking about?

And everyone has access. Your problem is that you don't even know how to look for it, because you don't understand the basic terms involved. That's fixable, if you want to do it.

So, in the absence of any evidence for his claims, we will have to conclude they are false. Don't you think that, if he had any evidence, he'd be showing it to people?

There is this, however:
The researchers identified hundreds of areas of the human genome that appear to have been positively selected over the past 10,000 years but have not yet reached “fixation”—the point where they are shared in the same form by all members of a population. The study, published in the online journal PLoS Biology, confirms that evolutionary mechanisms have continued to operate on humans in the relatively recent past.

Some examples of the favored gene regions are areas known to affect skin pigmentation, help the body resist malarial infection and aid in metabolizing carbohydrates and digesting the lactose in milk. The scientists speculate that these genes were favored because they helped humans adapt to different regional challenges as they spread out of Africa, a migration that first began about 100,000 years ago.

“Each of these kinds of changes likely resulted in powerful selective pressures for new genotypes that were better suited to the novel environments,” the team wrote in their paper.

The researchers looked at genetic data from a sample of 209 people, drawn from three genetically distinct populations: East Asia, Africa and Europe. They found that in each group, different sets of genes had been selected for, with only 20% of the total number of favored genes overlapping across all three.

http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/human_genome_still_evolving/

Paper here:
http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/publications/VoightEtAl06.pdf

Which handily refutes Sanford's claim. Surprise.

Barbarian chuckles:
You got it backwards. Darwin started out as a creationist of sorts, and the evidence convinced him of evolution.

(claims it doesn't matter)

So to you it matters more that darwin believed his ideal

No, it matters that your claim is false. Contrary to your assertion, Darwin started with the assumption of creationism, and the evidence convinced him of evolution.

Barbarian observes:
You got that backwards too. Sanford became a fundamentalist first, and then turned his back on science.
Sanford seen his findings would need a creator and became a theistic evolutionist for ten years, he then looked at the evidence from both sides (like everyone should) and decided the evidence for creation as the Bible declares trumps darwins hypothesis.

If that were true, he wouldn't be a YE creationist. You cannot consistently believe the Bible and be a YE creationist.

I can provide you a video

This is a discussion board, not a video comparing board. If you don't understand it well enough to explain what it says, what makes you think it's right?

(Sparticis claims Anthony Flew "Turned to God")
Flew thinks the Christian God is a "cosmic Saddam Hussein." I'm not sure who he turned to, but that's not God.

Yes, it does matter. It should matter to you, too. If that's your idea of "turning to God", then we'll just have to disagree.

What Flew turned to not sure

You said he "turned to God." Are you changing the story again?

only thing I was pointing out he saw the problem with the darwin theory.

Sounds unlikely. Most deists accept evolution. But show us what you've got.

Barbarian observes:
Darwin thought God created the first living things. That might not mean anything to you, but it does give lie to your claim that evolution was designed to promote atheism.

Did darwin not speculate about a warm little pond with all the right chemicals that maybe...... ?

That's how he thought God did it. From the Earth. God thinks so, too.

Darwin put the ideal of spontaneous generation out there to hang

"Spontaneous generation" is the idea that simple organisms arise from rotting organic matter. Darwin is talking about the origin of life. And it's consistent with God's word in Genesis, while spontaneous generation has no such support.

It would do wonders for your credibility, for one thing. But I see you have no idea what "information" means in biology, so you're not going to venture a guess.

In biology it is a genetic code, with its support mechanisms.

No, although the genetic code has information.

It is still very complex, don't believe any one fully understands it.

I don't think anyone understands anything completely, but we do understand how information works in biology. I got a master's degree, mostly about that.
It is complex in the details, but almost anyone can grasp the basics.

Show us that. Use whatever method you want to analyze the two, and show us how you did it.

Since you've brought up "information", just focus on dinsaurs to birds. Show us that there would have to be an increase in "information" for that to happen. With numbers and show us how you did the analysis.

(feathers offered)

Barbarian regarding the unsupported Gould claim:
Since you've been repeatedly challenged to show that Gould said it, and repeatedly refused to do that, your claim isn't taken very seriously. Did you really think it doesn't matter if you don't support your claims?

(Still won't show us where Gould said it)

I am not wasting my time on assumptions of what evolution claims with a theory of information, when it is obvious if something developed new genes in a genome that created a new feature ( for instance an invertebrate developed a backbone) then yes that would be pretty obvious of new information.

So, let's take a look. Show us that a hagfish (vertebrate) has more information than an Amphioxus (chordate, which is like a vertebrate, just lacking bony vertebra)

You're on.

Was Gould ever interviewed and asked this question no, so it is clear you will never find his answer written in clear words that you are looking for.

So he didn't say it after all. That wasn't hard, was it? Show me where Gould hints at it, then.

Barbarian suggests:
I very much doubt that Dawkin's said "microbes to man", which is a creationist strawman. But you're on. Show us that he said it.

(couldn't show it)

For the second time, is that not what he is saying? Looks like to me he is saying men came from microbes.

Dawkins, like virtually all scientists, think men evolved from other primates.

Barbarian observes:
That's a testable belief. Show me something a bird has, that couldn't have evolved from dinosaurs.

I will start more simple for you, show me how an invertebrate developed a backbone

O.K. Show me something a Hagfish has that couldn't evolve from chordates.

show me how a single cell organism can change into a fish

Fish evolved from chordates. Show me something a fish has that couldn't evolve from a chordate.

Barbarian observes:
The evidence shows that this happened gradually, from the chordates. Want to learn about it?

(doesn't want to see it)

Well, see if you can show anything that supports your beliefs. Pick one of the above and at least try.

We have showed you,

Lots of questionable "quotes", a false assertion about what Gould said, and so on. No evidence. Here's your chance. Show us that there is something a fish has that couldn't have evolved from a chordate.

Barbarian on the unwillingness of YE creationists to accept God's word:
I believe God created man as he said he did from dust.

But you disapprove of the way He did it.

BTW Are you saying God is not powerful enough to make something out of nothing?

He made the universe out of nothing. I'm just pointing out that the creationist doctrine of "life ex nihilo" is contrary to God's word.

Barbarian once again you are wasting a lot of my time with unrelated topics. Time is precious to me. I have a job, a family and responsibilities to proclaim the Gospel.

We all do.

I have sermons to work on family things to do.

I have to say for a minister, you seem remarkably unfamiliar with the Bible.

Pre warning anything you post off topic to the videos will not be answered and I would hope the mod will remove it.

The mods here are not as pliable as they are in some boards you might have posted on before. It would be prudent for you to let them do their work and stay out of it.

Nice graphics. Creationists always put a lot of money into the CGI stuff. As usual, not so much in research.

1. First goof Creationist asserts that if there's a bad mutation, natural selection can't do anything about it. In fact, natural selection removes those. Rookie error.

3. Sanford tries his best to help creationism. He is obviously aware of the fact that almost all mutations do nothing measurable to living things. But this doesn't help much, so he suggests that they can't be truly neutral, and therefore, must be harmful..

I repeat here again for the benefit of lurking readers who may make note of the conclusive importance of the fused chromosomes found in all humans which PROVE to be the mutation which separated us from the Ape mother who birthed us 7 million years ago.

We can SEE evidence of the fusion of those two chromosomes, of what had been separate and individual chromosomes among the 24 pairs common to all Apes.

Our #2 Chromosome has too many telomeres on it, indicating that the two end parts of each of the original chromosome became one chromosome.

Chromosomes uniquely have two telomeres, one on each end.
Human chromosome #2 has four.
And humans thereafter evidence only 23 chromosome pairs in the cells of their body.

This was not only a beneficial mutation, but one that gave birth to a new species, i.e. man EVOLVED.

I repeat here again for the benefit of lurking readers who may make note of the conclusive importance of the fused chromosomes found in all humans which PROVE to be the mutation which separated us from the Ape mother who birthed us 7 million years ago.

We can SEE evidence of the fusion of those two chromosomes, of what had been separate and individual chromosomes among the 24 pairs common to all Apes.

Our #2 Chromosome has too many telomeres on it, indicating that the two end parts of each of the original chromosome became one chromosome.

Chromosomes uniquely have two telomeres, one on each end.
Human chromosome #2 has four.
And humans thereafter evidence only 23 chromosome pairs in the cells of their body.

This was not only a beneficial mutation, but one that gave birth to a new species, i.e. man EVOLVED.

This is off topic and has been addressed to you in other threads. This is an assumption and not a fact. You should really do some more reading into it. Do you know what 2-5% of 3 billion is or why I would ask?
This thread is not about apes and humans but about the deterioration of the human genome. If you are not going to post on topic don't post.

His comments on the interview shares a lethal problem for evolution. I am sure some here will say he is wrong but with his credentials I will go with him. Just a good video to watch for those who don't believe microbes to men. Watch from beginning to the end.
Updated with new video

[video=youtube;K8KbM-xkfVk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8KbM-xkfVk[/video]

[video=youtube;-d-J974AlF0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-J974AlF0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Barbarian once again you are wasting a lot of my time with unrelated topics. Time is precious to me. I have a job, a family and responsibilities to proclaim the Gospel. I have sermons to work on family things to do. You need to stay on topic. I should of done this a lot earlier in the last thread, but will here. Pre warning anything you post off topic to the videos will not be answered and I would hope the mod will remove it.

Spartikis, I hope you don't mind, but maybe a restart would be beneficial?

Barb, Cupid, you can disagree all you want, but please be respectful to those whom share with you in the grace and mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, but differ in the meats that we eat. If this post offends you then you don't have to partake in it. Maybe Romans 14 sheds some relevant light?

Barbarian chuckles:

(claims it doesn't matter)

No, it matters that your claim is false. Contrary to your assertion, Darwin started with the assumption of creationism, and the evidence convinced him of evolution.

Barbarian observes:

If that were true, he wouldn't be a YE creationist. You cannot consistently believe the Bible and be a YE creationist.

This is a discussion board, not a video comparing board. If you don't understand it well enough to explain what it says, what makes you think it's right?

(Sparticis claims Anthony Flew "Turned to God")

You said he "turned to God." Are you changing the story again?

Sounds unlikely. Most deists accept evolution. But show us what you've got.

Barbarian observes:

That's how he thought God did it. From the Earth. God thinks so, too.

"Spontaneous generation" is the idea that simple organisms arise from rotting organic matter. Darwin is talking about the origin of life. And it's consistent with God's word in Genesis, while spontaneous generation has no such support.

No, although the genetic code has information.

I don't think anyone understands anything completely, but we do understand how information works in biology. I got a master's degree, mostly about that.
It is complex in the details, but almost anyone can grasp the basics.

(feathers offered)

Barbarian regarding the unsupported Gould claim:

(Still won't show us where Gould said it)

So, let's take a look. Show us that a hagfish (vertebrate) has more information than an Amphioxus (chordate, which is like a vertebrate, just lacking bony vertebra)

You're on.

So he didn't say it after all. That wasn't hard, was it? Show me where Gould hints at it, then.

Barbarian suggests:

(couldn't show it)

Dawkins, like virtually all scientists, think men evolved from other primates.

Barbarian observes:

O.K. Show me something a Hagfish has that couldn't evolve from chordates.

Fish evolved from chordates. Show me something a fish has that couldn't evolve from a chordate.

Barbarian observes:

(doesn't want to see it)

Well, see if you can show anything that supports your beliefs. Pick one of the above and at least try.

Lots of questionable "quotes", a false assertion about what Gould said, and so on. No evidence. Here's your chance. Show us that there is something a fish has that couldn't have evolved from a chordate.

Barbarian on the unwillingness of YE creationists to accept God's word:

But you disapprove of the way He did it.

He made the universe out of nothing. I'm just pointing out that the creationist doctrine of "life ex nihilo" is contrary to God's word.

We all do.

I have to say for a minister, you seem remarkably unfamiliar with the Bible.

The mods here are not as pliable as they are in some boards you might have posted on before. It would be prudent for you to let them do their work and stay out of it.

Nothing on topic quit wasting time try again

Spartikis, I hope you don't mind, but maybe a restart would be beneficial?

Repeating it won't make it work any better.

Barb, Cupid, you can disagree all you want, but please be respectful to those whom share with you in the grace and mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, but differ in the meats that we eat.

Funny how people never realize that it applies to them, um? Maybe we can all do better. But the video and the misinformation in it, is still up for discussion.

If this post offends you then you don't have to partake in it.

I'll just point out the problems with the video and leave it at that.

Maybe Romans 14 sheds some relevant light?

I'm not saying Spart is weak. I'm just pointing out what's wrong with the video.

Maybe I'll watch a little more and see what else there is.

Barbarian observes:

The point he made was that mutations are like typos - and lthough they may appear to be neutral, there is some downside to them. Which seems eminently probable to me. Perhaps not in the world you live in.
I don't think attacking me is going to help you. Here you show a competent scientist, saying something that is contrary to the evidence, and contrary to the findings of geneticists everywhere, and he's showing all the behaviors observed in people trying to deceive.
The man is either a fool or a liar, if what you're saying is correct. But he is obviously a competent genetecist, and if his claims are proved false, will do his reputation no end of bad.

Yet he is prepared to make those statements.

At the very least you should get a copy of his book and check his references, before sounding off like this.

When lying people are more likely to:

offer shorter responses
make more speech errors - more um's, er's ah's...
blink more
fidget more

http://www.truthaboutdeception.com/lying-and-deception/detecting-deception/nonverbal-cues.html
This has nothing to do with his statements. As I say, look at his references and gainsay them if you can.

At the moment you are acting very disreputably.

Ah, the Great Worldwide Geneticist Cover-up Conspiracy. "They are all liars." isn't a very credible defense, either.
Who? The Stanfords, or his opposition (like you, of course)?

Did you notice when he stopped those behaviors? Isn't that a clue, too?
No. There are people who can fool polygraphs. So, no. I don't recall him saying 'they are all liars'. He was talking about the 'trade secret', a phrase used by Eldredge and Gould about the gaps between the fossils. They liars too?

From the same site:
On a side note it should be pointed out that:

People do NOT break eye contact when lying

Liars as well as truth-tellers are, on average, just as likely to "look you in the eye."

Now, blinking, fidgeting, and stammering isn't proof of deception, but when someone does all that, and then goes on to something else and behaves normally, it becomes more telling. Especially when you find that the person is saying something that is contradicted by the evidence and is generally held to be false by people who study the issue.
Do you believe in phrenology? This sounds like the same sort of mumbo-jumbo.
You'll have to get your own evidence. It's not up to us to support your claims. If you can't do it, why should we believe you know what you're talking about?
I know nothing about what Sanford is talking about: he may be right, he may be wrong. I am merely looking at the disreputable way you are conducting yourself on this thread.

That's bad enough.
So, in the absence of any evidence for his claims, we will have to conclude they are false. Don't you think that, if he had any evidence, he'd be showing it to people?
In the absence of any evidence for his claims, in a 3 minute video, I think you should be shooting Dawkins in the behind too.

The absence of evidence only means that he hasn't brought it forth. He's written a book. Go read,then I'll be prepared to credit your ugly accusations.

There is this, however:
The researchers identified hundreds of areas of the human genome that appear to have been positively selected over the past 10,000 years but have not yet reached “fixation”—the point where they are shared in the same form by all members of a population. The study, published in the online journal PLoS Biology, confirms that evolutionary mechanisms have continued to operate on humans in the relatively recent past.

Some examples of the favored gene regions are areas known to affect skin pigmentation, help the body resist malarial infection and aid in metabolizing carbohydrates and digesting the lactose in milk. The scientists speculate that these genes were favored because they helped humans adapt to different regional challenges as they spread out of Africa, a migration that first began about 100,000 years ago.

“Each of these kinds of changes likely resulted in powerful selective pressures for new genotypes that were better suited to the novel environments,” the team wrote in their paper.

The researchers looked at genetic data from a sample of 209 people, drawn from three genetically distinct populations: East Asia, Africa and Europe. They found that in each group, different sets of genes had been selected for, with only 20% of the total number of favored genes overlapping across all three.

http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/human_genome_still_evolving/

Paper here:
http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/publications/VoightEtAl06.pdf
All of which doesn't prove that the human genome is going UPWARDS.

It's varying - nothing more than that.

BTW, what's happening to th average human lifespan worldwide? Any idea? I'll tell you.

Adam lived to 930 years.

Average age today - something like 75 in developed countries, rather less in others.

Doesn't that decrease tell you something? Probably not.

But it should.

Barbarian checks video:

Error 1:
1:30 in video. Sanford claims that favorable mutations are so minor that they can't be selected for.

And yet, it is known that as small as 1mm in the length of a sparrow's breastbone can make the difference between survival and death over a winter.
http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v098n03/p0503-p0511.pdf

2:31 Sanford claims that population geneticists know that the human genome is undergoing "entropy" and that we are degenerating over time. But I showed that numerous favorable mutations are still increasing in the population. I find it incredible that Sanford would not know this, or that he actually believes Geneticists are lying about the situation.

The researchers identified hundreds of areas of the human genome that appear to have been positively selected over the past 10,000 years but have not yet reached “fixationâ€â€”the point where they are shared in the same form by all members of a population. The study, published in the online journal PLoS Biology, confirms that evolutionary mechanisms have continued to operate on humans in the relatively recent past.

“Each of these kinds of changes likely resulted in powerful selective pressures for new genotypes that were better suited to the novel environments,†the team wrote in their paper.

http://seedmagazine.com/content/arti...till_evolving/

Paper here:
http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/publi...ightEtAl06.pdf

Let's go on...

Sanford cites a paper "Why have we not died 100 times over?" He didn't identify the author, but he is Alexi Kondrashov, in the Journal of Theoretical Biology about 20 years ago, I think. What he doesn't say is that although Kondrashov mentions the existence of animal populations seems to be threatened by very slightly negative mutations, the author also predicts that synergistic epistasis will account for the fact that we are still here.

A few years later, another researcher came up with the same findings.
http://www.genetics.org/content/156/1/297.long

And it turns out there is evidence for Kondrashov's prediction:
An Experimental Test for Synergistic Epistasis and Its Application in Chlamydomonas
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1207865/

Which admittedly, Sanford may not know. It is troubling that he thinks one approach to solving the problem would be to stop taking care of the unfit. This would do it, but it would be, as Darwin said, an "overwhelming evil." About 5:10, Sanford repeats the old slander that evolutionary theory is about eugenics. The fact is, Darwinists like Morgan and Punnett not only assailed the morality of eugenics, they pointed out that the eugenic program was scientifically unreallistic. Sanford almost surely knows this; it was a major issue in the 1930s, when eugenics was increasingly looked to by dictators as a useful tool. This says a lot of bad things about Sanford's character.

Let's go on...

Sanford cites the idea that essentially neutral, but very slightly harmful mutations might reduce fitness, and uses the work of Motoo Kimura (althought he doesn't give him credit in the video). But Kimura writes:

Under the present model, effectively neutral, but, in fact, very slightly deleterious mutants accumulate continuously in every species. The selective disadvantage of such mutants (in terms of an individual’s survival and reproduction – i.e. in Darwinian fitness) is likely to be of the order of 10-5 or less, but with 104 loci per genome coding for various proteins and each accumulating the mutants at the rate of 10-6 per generation, the rate of loss of fitness per generation may amount of 10-7 per generation. Whether such a small rate of deterioration in fitness constitutes a threat to the survival and welfare of the species (not to the individual) is a moot point, but this can easily be taken care of by adaptive gene substitutions that must occur from time to time, say once every few hundred generations.

Kimura, as you might know, was a pioneer in neutralist theory of evolution.

The point he made was that mutations are like typos - and lthough they may appear to be neutral, there is some downside to them.

I know he wants us to believe it, but unfortunately, no evidence offered. I think I know why.

Barbarian observes:
Here you show a competent scientist, saying something that is contrary to the evidence, and contrary to the findings of geneticists everywhere, and he's showing all the behaviors observed in people trying to deceive.

The man is either a fool or a liar, if what you're saying is correct.

Or he wants so badly to have it this way, that he's fooled himself.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.
Richard P. Feynman
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/richard_p_feynman.html#20PdyvLtqEGbM9YI.99

See my previous post. He wasn't entirely candid about neutral mutations. Nor was he correct in what he attributed to neutralist theory.

At the moment you are acting very disreputably.

Partly, I already knew about it, and partly, I went back and did a little checking. You'd be a lot better off here, if you did that.

Barbarian, regarding Sanford's accusation that geneticists are hiding the truth:

Anyone. It's an incredibly dumb accusation to make.

Do you believe in phrenology?

Phrenology is like creationism. But of course, we can collect data on what people do when lying, and it is useful.

(Spart suggests Barbarian do research for him)

I know nothing about what Sanford is talking about:

I do. And he hasn't been entirely candid.

he may be right, he may be wrong. I am merely looking at the disreputable way you are conducting yourself on this thread.

Notice, the hypothesis I made from his behavior was born out when I looked deeper into the video.

That's bad enough.

Every hypothesis should be testable. And this one was.

In the absence of any evidence for his claims, in a 3 minute video, I think you should be shooting Dawkins in the behind too.

He's your buddy. You tell him.

There is this, however:

Paper here:
All of which doesn't prove that the human genome is going UPWARDS.

It's varying - nothing more than that.

Wrong. All favorable mutations, all continuing to become more prevalent, but none of them yet fixed in the human genome. Exactly what Sanford denies happening.

BTW, what's happening to th average human lifespan worldwide? Any idea?

Yep. There's data on that.

life-expectancy-throughout-history-long-trend.gif

http://filipspagnoli.wordpress.com/...facts-148-life-expectancy-throughout-history/

Doesn't that decrease tell you something?

Increase. But it's probably not genetic. Better nutrition, better medical care, mostly.

But it sure does give lie to the idea that the human genome is degenerating doesn't it?

This is another problem with all the contradictions. Barbarian claims to believe the Bible and claims evolution is okay in the Bible but you can't take a book God gave us as a historical facts literal.

The Bible doesn't say it's all a literal history. If you have to add to scripture to make your point, isn't that an important clue for you?

So the people that do take it literal don't believe the Bible .

As you know, the "life ex nihilo" belief of YE creationism is contrary to God's word in Genesis.

And he also denies the Hebrew calendar and text that date back to 160ad that state young earth and creation. And that young earth creation was the way of science until 1800's.

As you learned, YE creationism is no older than the 1900s. Although some people thought the earth was younger than it is in earlier times, the notion of a literal creation week was well-refuted by St. Augustine,l who pointed out that the logical contradictions in such a revision to scripture made it logically impossible.

Error 1:
1:30 in video. Sanford claims that favorable mutations are so minor that they can't be selected for.

And yet, it is known that as small as 1mm in the length of a sparrow's breastbone can make the difference between survival and death over a winter.
http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v098n03/p0503-p0511.pdf
He says they are rare to have a beneficial mutation. He don't decline that if something that is beneficial enough to save the animals life, obviously it will be selected over time when those without it dies off. That does not prove the genome is not deteriorating.
Sanford as a genetic engineer knows a lot about selection.

2:31 Sanford claims that population geneticists know that the human genome is undergoing "entropy" and that we are degenerating over time. But I showed that numerous favorable mutations are still increasing in the population. I find it incredible that Sanford would not know this, or that he actually believes Geneticists are lying about the situation.

Paper here:
Like I said he as a genetic engineer knows a lot about mutations and selection.

Your examples show rarity. Couple hundred claimed in 10,000 years. And they are still a copying mistake that does not add a gene. So that does not show that the human genome is not deteriorating. I will give you an example of what he is getting at.

First lets look at what is claimed as the mutation rate of 100 nucleotide substitutions per person per generation.

The results are in good agreement with indirect estimates, obtained by comparison of orthologous human and chimpanzee pseudogenes. The average direct estimate of the combined rate of all mutations is 1.8x10(-8) per nucleotide per generation, and the coefficient of variation of this rate across the 20 loci is 0.53. Single nucleotide substitutions are approximately 25 times more common than all other mutations, deletions are approximately three times more common than insertions, complex mutations are very rare, and CpG context increases substitution rates by an order of magnitude.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12497628

So you have an encyclopedia and you have a bunch of single letter copying errors. That information will gradually be deteriorated.

As he talks about the selection process (which he has a lot of knowledge in this area as many others) He states the mutations are so small the selection gets no hold and the selective pressure in less, and will not keep up.

If 100 of these mutations get passed down every generation, we will gradually deteriorate. Which is going on.

BTW your links don't work, might want to fix that.

Sanford cites a paper "Why have we not died 100 times over?" He didn't identify the author, but he is Alexi Kondrashov, in the Journal of Theoretical Biology about 20 years ago, I think. What he doesn't say is that although Kondrashov mentions the existence of animal populations seems to be threatened by very slightly negative mutations, the author also predicts that synergistic epistasis will account for the fact that we are still here.

An Experimental Test for Synergistic Epistasis and Its Application in Chlamydomonas

Which admittedly, Sanford may not know. It is troubling that he thinks one approach to solving the problem would be to stop taking care of the unfit. This would do it, but it would be, as Darwin said, an "overwhelming evil." About 5:10, Sanford repeats the old slander that evolutionary theory is about eugenics. The fact is, Darwinists like Morgan and Punnett not only assailed the morality of eugenics, they pointed out that the eugenic program was scientifically unreallistic. Sanford almost surely knows this; it was a major issue in the 1930s, when eugenics was increasingly looked to by dictators as a useful tool. This says a lot of bad things about Sanford's character.

Let's go on...

Sanford cites the idea that essentially neutral, but very slightly harmful mutations might reduce fitness, and uses the work of Motoo Kimura (althought he doesn't give him credit in the video). But Kimura writes:

Under the present model, effectively neutral, but, in fact, very slightly deleterious mutants accumulate continuously in every species. The selective disadvantage of such mutants (in terms of an individual’s survival and reproduction – i.e. in Darwinian fitness) is likely to be of the order of 10-5 or less, but with 104 loci per genome coding for various proteins and each accumulating the mutants at the rate of 10-6 per generation, the rate of loss of fitness per generation may amount of 10-7 per generation. Whether such a small rate of deterioration in fitness constitutes a threat to the survival and welfare of the species (not to the individual) is a moot point, but this can easily be taken care of by adaptive gene substitutions that must occur from time to time, say once every few hundred generations.

see above. He does give credit to all of resources in his book and other videos. He also talks about why increasing the selective pressure would not stop this. If you kill off all the unhealthy, even the most fit still have 100 more mutations then their parents. Its to fundamental to stop. He has a computer program called the medals accountant
http://mendelsaccount.sourceforge.net/
very interesting.

Even Japanese scientist claim we are deteriorating.
Genetic code of human race is deteriorating
Small damages to sequences in the human genome are causing evolutionary changes in our DNA. Recent findings from a Japanese group prove that a common form of DNA damage caused by oxidation is a primary cause of mutagenesis -- damage to DNA during the genome replication process.
http://www.naturalnews.com/021220.html

I know this has gone against what you have been taught during your life but it is happening.

The Bible doesn't say it's all a literal history. If you have to add to scripture to make your point, isn't that an important clue for you?

As you know, the "life ex nihilo" belief of YE creationism is contrary to God's word in Genesis.

As you learned, YE creationism is no older than the 1900s. Although some people thought the earth was younger than it is in earlier times, the notion of a literal creation week was well-refuted by St. Augustine,l who pointed out that the logical contradictions in such a revision to scripture made it logically impossible.

I don't add to scripture as you have learned. Young earth and creation dates back to 160 AD and the Hebrew calender as you have learned. You add evolution to the Bible and say you believe the Bible:shame

This is off topic you should start another thread to further discuss this.

Error 1:

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v09...0503-p0511.pdf

He says they are rare to have a beneficial mutation.

A few every generation. Natural selection removes the bad ones, and maintains the good ones.

He don't decline that if something that is beneficial enough to save the animals life, obviously it will be selected over time when those without it dies off. That does not prove the genome is not deteriorating.[/qoute]

There's a large list of recent favorable mutations still approaching fixation, which means the human genome is improving. Notice the people doing that research relied on evidence, instead of Sanford's bald assertion.

Sanford as a genetic engineer knows a lot about selection.

And yet, he didn't know about this:

The researchers identified hundreds of areas of the human genome that appear to have been positively selected over the past 10,000 years but have not yet reached “fixationâ€â€”the point where they are shared in the same form by all members of a population. The study, published in the online journal PLoS Biology, confirms that evolutionary mechanisms have continued to operate on humans in the relatively recent past.

“Each of these kinds of changes likely resulted in powerful selective pressures for new genotypes that were better suited to the novel environments,†the team wrote in their paper.

Paper here:

Like I said he as a genetic engineer knows a lot about mutations and selection.

But somehow, all of that slipped by him. I have less than 25 hours in genetics, and I knew it. Makes you wonder.

Your examples show rarity. Couple hundred claimed in 10,000 years.

Couple of hundred that have not yet reached fixation. No one knows how many reached fixation in that time.

And they are still a copying mistake that does not add a gene.

No, that's wrong, too. The Milano mutation, for example, modified one copy of a gene, so those with that mutation have one more gene than other people.

So that does not show that the human genome is not deteriorating.

As you learned, it does. If favorable mutations are continuing to grow in the human population, it's pointless to deny that the genome is improving.

I will give you an example of what he is getting at.
First lets look at what is claimed as the mutation rate of 100 nucleotide substitutions per person per generation.

The results are in good agreement with indirect estimates, obtained by comparison of orthologous human and chimpanzee pseudogenes. The average direct estimate of the combined rate of all mutations is 1.8x10(-8) per nucleotide per generation, and the coefficient of variation of this rate across the 20 loci is 0.53. Single nucleotide substitutions are approximately 25 times more common than all other mutations, deletions are approximately three times more common than insertions, complex mutations are very rare, and CpG context increases substitution rates by an order of magnitude.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12497628

So you have an encyclopedia and you have a bunch of single letter copying errors.

A hundred or so identified favorable mutations that have not yet reached fixation. And no one knows how many have reached fixation in that time. Not bad for a few thousand years. It's pointless to deny that fitness is increasing, if favorable mutation continue to rise. BTW, Tell me why you think "CpG context" matters.

That information will gradually be deteriorated.

I know you want us to believe you. But there's all those recent favorable mutations spreading in the human population. I'm sure you can understand why the evidence means more than your assertion.

As he talks about the selection process (which he has a lot of knowledge in this area as many others) He states the mutations are so small the selection gets no hold and the selective pressure in less, and will not keep up.

And yet a 1mm change in the length of a sparrow breastbone is significant to it's winter survival. So Sanford's claim is less believable, than the evidence.

If 100 of these mutations get passed down every generation, we will gradually deteriorate.

Sanford, as others have pointed out, ignores negative epistasis.

Sexual reproduction selects for robustness and negative epistasis in artificial gene networks

Nature 440, 87-90 (2 March 2006)

Ricardo B. R. Azevedo1, Rolf Lohaus1, Suraj Srinivasan1, Kristen K. Dang2 and Christina L. Burch3
Top of page

The mutational deterministic hypothesis for the origin and maintenance of sexual reproduction posits that sex enhances the ability of natural selection to purge deleterious mutations after recombination brings them together into single genomes1. This explanation requires negative epistasis, a type of genetic interaction where mutations are more harmful in combination than expected from their separate effects. The conceptual appeal of the mutational deterministic hypothesis has been offset by our inability to identify the mechanistic and evolutionary bases of negative epistasis. Here we show that negative epistasis can evolve as a consequence of sexual reproduction itself. Using an artificial gene network model2, 3, we find that recombination between gene networks imposes selection for genetic robustness, and that negative epistasis evolves as a by-product of this selection. Our results suggest that sexual reproduction selects for conditions that favour its own maintenance, a case of evolution forging its own path.

How is it that Sanford doesn't know this?

Barbarian observes:

Let's go on...

see above. He does give credit to all of resources in his book and other videos. He also talks about why increasing the selective pressure would not stop this.

Kimura and others have shown that this is not so.

If you kill off all the unhealthy, even the most fit still have 100 more mutations then their parents.

No. Think about it.

Even Japanese scientist claim we are deteriorating.
Small damages to sequences in the human genome are causing evolutionary changes in our DNA. Recent findings from a Japanese group prove that a common form of DNA damage caused by oxidation is a primary cause of mutagenesis -- damage to DNA during the genome replication process.

I notice the people running the site also claim they can cure high blood pressure in three weeks, and that the big chemical companies are conspiring to poison us all.

Just saying...

I know this has gone against what you have been taught during your life

Recently, (I'm old) I finally got to the point where my blood pressure requires that I take meds for it. I would be very happy if taking some herbs could cure my hypertension. But I know that's false. You're way too easily influenced by a slick website.

A few every generation. Natural selection removes the bad ones, and maintains the good ones.

There's a large list of recent favorable mutations still approaching fixation, which means the human genome is improving. Notice the people doing that research relied on evidence, instead of Sanford's bald assertion.
Curious as to this list? Can you please post. And no a beneficial mutation does not prove the genome is improving. Selection works in a limited context. It will select out a very bad gene but a typical deleterious gene is to tiny in its effect. The typical nucleotide in the genome will not be selected. At the mutation rate I posted before, even if selection gets rid of a few percent it will not stop the deterioration of the genome. This is pretty simple to understand .

Paper here:

But somehow, all of that slipped by him. I have less than 25 hours in genetics, and I knew it. Makes you wonder.
I am sure he did. Can you fix them links I would like to read them. Thanks. But a beneficial mutation like I stated is still a copying error, it is rare and needs to be added into the population. At the rate of deterioration I don't think a couple is going to matter or add genes for that matter.

No, that's wrong, too. The Milano mutation, for example, modified one copy of a gene, so those with that mutation have one more gene than other people.
I believe it is just a mutated protein, not a new gene sorry.

This important protein, known as apoA-I, both manufactures HDL particles and is responsible for their structure. In the mutated form, dubbed apoA-I Milano because of its origin, one of the protein's amino acids is replaced with an amino acid cysteine that has a sulfhydryl group. Somehow, this tiny change enables a handful of Italians to possess low HDL levels and remain free of cardiovascular disease. But how?

About 70 percent of proteins with the Milano mutation come in pairs: one protein attaches to another to form a dimeric complex. The key to this pairing is a disulfide bridge in which the sulfhydryl group from one protein links with the sulfhydryl from another. This pairing restricts HDL size and growth and has been attributed to the HDL deficiency observed in people who have the mutation.

But 30 percent of proteins with the Milano mutation don't form dimeric complexes. They remain unattached as monomeric complexes. In this solo configuration, the sulfhydryl isn't occupied in a disulfide bond. It's free, which enables it to partake in other reactions, says Bielicki. And one of these reactions is quenching ions with unpaired electrons. In other words, the free sulfhydryl form of the Milano mutation is a powerful antioxidant, and Bielicki had a hunch it played a role in the mutation's ability to fight cardiovascular disease.
http://www.eurekalert.org/features/doe/2002-05/dbnl-tmm061302.php

As you learned, it does. If favorable mutations are continuing to grow in the human population, it's pointless to deny that the genome is improving.
Its about the mutation rate, and what was explained above. Will show you more.

A hundred or so identified favorable mutations that have not yet reached fixation. And no one knows how many have reached fixation in that time. Not bad for a few thousand years. It's pointless to deny that fitness is increasing, if favorable mutation continue to rise. BTW, Tell me why you think "CpG context" matters.

I know you want us to believe you. But there's all those recent favorable mutations spreading in the human population. I'm sure you can understand why the evidence means more than your assertion.

And yet a 1mm change in the length of a sparrow breastbone is significant to it's winter survival. So Sanford's claim is less believable, than the evidence.

Sexual reproduction selects for robustness and negative epistasis in artificial gene networks

Ricardo B. R. Azevedo1, Rolf Lohaus1, Suraj Srinivasan1, Kristen K. Dang2 and Christina L. Burch3
Top of page

The mutational deterministic hypothesis for the origin and maintenance of sexual reproduction posits that sex enhances the ability of natural selection to purge deleterious mutations after recombination brings them together into single genomes1. This explanation requires negative epistasis, a type of genetic interaction where mutations are more harmful in combination than expected from their separate effects. The conceptual appeal of the mutational deterministic hypothesis has been offset by our inability to identify the mechanistic and evolutionary bases of negative epistasis. Here we show that negative epistasis can evolve as a consequence of sexual reproduction itself. Using an artificial gene network model2, 3, we find that recombination between gene networks imposes selection for genetic robustness, and that negative epistasis evolves as a by-product of this selection. Our results suggest that sexual reproduction selects for conditions that favour its own maintenance, a case of evolution forging its own path.

Barbarian observes:

Let's go on...

Why do you keep repeating yourself? That will not help. The fact is it is deteriorating you just need to find your excuse as to what you can use to keep the hypothesis of evolution. Let me help you a little.

This rapid evolution of the Y chromosome has led to a dramatic loss of genes on the Y chromosome at a rate that, if maintained, eventually could lead to the Y chromosome's complete disappearance.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090716201127.htm

The human race is deteriorating genetically as a result of scientific medical advancements, says Rolf Hoekstra, Professor of Genetics at Wageningen University.
Mr Hoekstra believes that medical treatments interfere with the natural selection process and illustrates his point using the example of genetic infertility.
http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/human-race-deteriorating-says-genetics-expert
See his assumption is its because of medical treatment. Think about that, why are you getting medical treatment? Take away all the pills, and medical technology and life would be ending a lot sooner.

Genetic code of human race is deteriorating due to environmental factors
They claim its environmental factors.

It you believe the Bible you should know its from the fall, and look at the history of ages and time lines it produces.

And that is not even including a lot of resources Dr. Sandford uses. He uses face to face conversations with geneticist in his book, I am sure if his comments were false about what was said with them he would have a huge law suit on his hand.
Kimura and others have shown that this is not so.
How did they do this? Hitler style, or just their thought. Like I said even the most healthy will still have the 100 mutations more per generation. They will still be deteriorating.

No. Think about it.
I did and told you why, its to fundemental.

I notice the people running the site also claim they can cure high blood pressure in three weeks, and that the big chemical companies are conspiring to poison us all.
So you claim their article is false? Don't think so see above.

Just saying...
If you have to try and discredit someones character because you have no real answer just don't answer.
Just saying..

Recently, (I'm old) I finally got to the point where my blood pressure requires that I take meds for it. I would be very happy if taking some herbs could cure my hypertension. But I know that's false. You're way too easily influenced by a slick website.
Sorry to hear that we will all get there one day. No I am influenced by evidence. I am a critical thinker that questions everything even if its a huge bandwagon called evolution. Only took one scientist to prove many wrong when they all believed scum on top of pond was proof of abiogenesis. Maybe you have been easily influenced.

BTW in your response you left out a lot of what I said, is it hard to include my full response or do you just try and make sure it is not seen, or trying to make it look like my responses are very short and uninformative? You will take a full sentence where I explain stuff and leave out what I explained and just use the first couple words.

Curious as to this list? Can you please post.

See below.

And no a beneficial mutation does not prove the genome is improving.

Over a hundred still approaching fixation certainly does. That's a large increase in fitness.

Selection works in a limited context. It will select out a very bad gene but a typical deleterious gene is to tiny in its effect.

Turns out, that's wrong. Like that tiny difference in breastbone size in sparrows. It makes a measurable difference, even if some people assume it's too small to matter. And, of course epistasis shows that some neutral mutations or slightly harmful ones can actually be useful in concert with some others. So a crude count of genes won't work in determining how the genome is doing. Even worse for Sanford's assumptions, changing environments will shift the favorability of mutations back and forth. In Galapgos finches, for example, the fitness of robust beaks (again, less than 1mm of differnce) changes depending on the weather that year.

The typical nucleotide in the genome will not be selected. At the mutation rate I posted before, even if selection gets rid of a few percent it will not stop the deterioration of the genome. This is pretty simple to understand .

As you see, it's different in the real world. Epistasis and changing environments are just two things that invalidate a simple count of mutations.

Paper here:

I am sure he did.

If he did, it's odd that he pretended otherwise.

Can you fix them links I would like to read them. Thanks. But a beneficial mutation like I stated is still a copying error, it is rare and needs to be added into the population.

As you saw, geneticists have identified over a hundred that are still recent enough that they have not yet been fixed in the population. And one pretends to know how many there are that are not yet identified.

I believe it is just a mutated protein, not a new gene sorry.

The new gene has been identified, and they even know what gene copy it was mutated from.

This important protein, known as apoA-I, both manufactures HDL particles and is responsible for their structure. In the mutated form, dubbed apoA-I Milano because of its origin, one of the protein's amino acids is replaced with an amino acid cysteine that has a sulfhydryl group. Somehow, this tiny change enables a handful of Italians to possess low HDL levels and remain free of cardiovascular disease. But how?

About 70 percent of proteins with the Milano mutation come in pairs: one protein attaches to another to form a dimeric complex. The key to this pairing is a disulfide bridge in which the sulfhydryl group from one protein links with the sulfhydryl from another. This pairing restricts HDL size and growth and has been attributed to the HDL deficiency observed in people who have the mutation.

But 30 percent of proteins with the Milano mutation don't form dimeric complexes. They remain unattached as monomeric complexes. In this solo configuration, the sulfhydryl isn't occupied in a disulfide bond. It's free, which enables it to partake in other reactions, says Bielicki. And one of these reactions is quenching ions with unpaired electrons. In other words, the free sulfhydryl form of the Milano mutation is a powerful antioxidant, and Bielicki had a hunch it played a role in the mutation's ability to fight cardiovascular disease.
http://www.eurekalert.org/features/d...-tmm061302.php

So there it is. New gene, mutated from an old one.

Barbarian observes:

(no response)

And a 1mm change in the length of a sparrow breastbone is significant to it's winter survival. So Sanford's claim is less believable, than the evidence.

The mutational deterministic hypothesis for the origin and maintenance of sexual reproduction posits that sex enhances the ability of natural selection to purge deleterious mutations after recombination brings them together into single genomes1. This explanation requires negative epistasis, a type of genetic interaction where mutations are more harmful in combination than expected from their separate effects. The conceptual appeal of the mutational deterministic hypothesis has been offset by our inability to identify the mechanistic and evolutionary bases of negative epistasis. Here we show that negative epistasis can evolve as a consequence of sexual reproduction itself. Using an artificial gene network model2, 3, we find that recombination between gene networks imposes selection for genetic robustness, and that negative epistasis evolves as a by-product of this selection. Our results suggest that sexual reproduction selects for conditions that favour its own maintenance, a case of evolution forging its own path.[/b]

Barbarian observes:

Let's go on...

Why do you keep repeating yourself? That will not help.

The same evidence works on false claims, no matter how often they are repeated.

The fact is it is deteriorating

I know you want us to believe it, but there's all this evidence that says it isn't.

This rapid evolution of the Y chromosome has led to a dramatic loss of genes on the Y chromosome at a rate that, if maintained, eventually could lead to the Y chromosome's complete disappearance.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0716201127.htm

Might. Some organisms do without them. They seem to be doing fine.

The human race is deteriorating genetically as a result of scientific medical advancements, says Rolf Hoekstra, Professor of Genetics at Wageningen University.
Mr Hoekstra believes that medical treatments interfere with the natural selection process and illustrates his point using the example of genetic infertility.
http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/hu...enetics-expert

Maybe so. If humans are interfering with natural selection to remove it's effects there might be a degeneration of genome. Until recently, that hasn't been possible. Darwin discussed the issue, and concluded that it was evil to let natural selection kill off the weak among us. This has nothing whatever to do with the fact of evolution.

Genetic code of human race is deteriorating due to environmental factors

Always has been. But as you see, epistasis, changing environments,and numerous favorable mutations still working toward fixation have all countered that .

They claim its environmental factors.

Maybe so. Major environmental changes have, in the past, caused large die-offs followed by rapid speciation of organisms adapted to the changes.

(website offered as proof)

So you claim their article is false?

A quack medical website isn't exactly a good source, especially when what they claim, is contrary to the evidence.

If you have to try and discredit someones character because you have no real answer just don't answer.

It's nuts to claim that an herbal remedy is going to cure high blood pressure in a few weeks.

Just saying..

Only took one scientist to prove many wrong when they all believed scum on top of pond was proof of abiogenesis.

Spontaneous generation. Big difference.

Highlight the article for which the link is dead. I'll try to get it fixed.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back