Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

e-readers are selling big time

Lewis

More Americans buying e-readers than tablets, study says

Ads touting Apple's iPad seem to be everywhere, but e-readers such as Amazon.com's Kindle and Barnes & Noble's Nook are actually more popular with consumers, according to a new report from the Pew Internet and American Life Project.

Last winter, tablets had a slight market lead. According to Pew, as of that time, 7% of U.S. adults owned a tablet computer (such as the iPad or Motorola Mobility's Xoom), while only 6% owned an e-reader device.

But that picture soon changed drastically. By May, 12% of U.S. adults owned an e-reader, while tablet ownership expanded only to 8%. (Note: the margin of error on this survey is 2%, but that would not challenge the market lead of e-readers.)

This is not an either-or technology choice. Pew noted that 3% of adults own both devices. Specifically, 9% own an e-reader but not a tablet, and 5% own a tablet but not an e-reader.

Apple has sold more than 25 million iPads and has a dominate share of the tablet market. Amazon and Barnes & Noble don't disclose sales of their e-reader devices. Citi analyst Mark Mahaney forecasts that Amazon could sell 17.5 million Kindles in this year alone.

Who's buying e-readers? According to Pew, Hispanics (who appear to be leading other U.S. ethnic demographics generally in embracing mobile technology), adults under age 65, college graduates, parents, and people in households earning less than $75,000 per year are especially likely to own e-readers.

Also: "There was considerable growth in e-reader ownership between November 2010 and May 2011 among college graduates, one-fifth of whom now own these devices," Pew reports. This is interesting, since Insider Higher Ed, an industry trade publication, recently reported that after a slow start, the market for electronic college textbooks experienced a surge this spring.

Who's buying tablets? Pew reports that from November 2010 to May, the largest increases in tablet ownership have been among men, Hispanics, people with at least some college education and household incomes of $30,000 or more. But the very highest increases in tablet ownership were seen among Hispanic adults and households earning at least $75,000 annually.

Why are e-readers more popular than tablets?

Based on form factors alone, tablets would seem to offer greater consumer appeal, since you can do far more with a tablet than an e-reader. A tablet is an e-reader plus a video screen plus a game player plus a web browser plus ...

E-readers typically limit users to buying, downloading, reading and annotating books. Furthermore, most e-readers still feature a black-and-white e-ink display and lack touchscreens. (Though, the new Nook has the latter.)

But price may play a key role. Right now you can buy a brand new Amazon Kindle for as little as $114, with free Wi-Fi access -- and Amazon has reportedly hinted that some day the Kindle might be given away for free. You can get the simplest Barnes & Noble Nook for $139. (Can't decide? Consumer Reports gave the Nook slightly better marks than the Kindle.)

In contrast, the least expensive iPad 2 costs $499. If you want 3G data access, the entry-level model costs $629. (New or used first-generation iPads are sold for less.) Adding to the total price, two wireless carriers offer prepaid or month-to-month data services: Verizon's iPad data plans start at $20 a month; and AT&T's plans start at $15 a month.

The BlackBerry Playbook costs $499. Many Android tablets also sell for that price, although the Asus Eee Pad starts at $400.

There's a fuzzy line between e-readers and tablets. Most notably, the $249 Nook Color, which features a touchscreen, advanced Web browser and Wi-Fi chip, is actually a modified Android tablet. The blog Tech Republic explains how to hack the Nook Color to operate as a full-feature Android tablet.

Of course, second-hand, refurbished or older-model e-readers and tablets of all types are widely sold via eBay, Craigslist, and discount vendors for considerably lower prices.

E-readers and tablets are still very much emerging markets.

"Both e-book reader and tablet computer adoption levels among U.S. adults are still well below that of other tech devices that have been on the market longer," according to the Pew report. "Cell phones are far and away the most popular digital device among U.S. adults today, followed by desktop and laptop computers, DVRs, and MP3 players."

For some additional perspective on mobile technology, Pew writes: "This survey marks the first time that laptop computers are as popular as desktop computers."

http://www.cnn.com/2...html?hpt=te_bn2

It seems like everyone is getting one of these e-books, and I am thinking about it.

I too am thinking about an e-reader. I used to have a Franklin electronic bible, but it was slow and awkward. When I worked for the DOT I had an IPAQ and installed the Laridian bible software. Worked pretty good for the time. I have a Toshiba netbook, but it's a PC and therefore has all the attendant issues associated with startup time, windows, etc. I would like a dedicated device that I can use for bible study research without having to dig out the hardcopy Strong's concordance.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with one of the more current e-readers regarding search capability within downloaded bibles and concordances? From my research so far, the ability to search within a "book" is not only dependent on the device, but also on the "book" one downloads.

I'm leaning toward the new Kindle 3G/Wi-Fi touch, or the Kindle Fire. Amazon seems to have many choices for bibles and concordances.

Blessings,
Dave

Like I said, I have a nook that my kids got for me last year and I love it. Whenever I want to safely surf the web for something questionable, I use my nook, or my Linux computer (my wife has a Mac). It's impossible for any of these to get a virus like sickly Microsoft so that in itself makes it worthwhile. When one of my Microsoft computers do get a virus from a site I was interested in, I just continue on visiting that site with my Linux or my nook safely, and then turn it off without fear and save the "ten days" of Microsoft down time to fix for later. :lol

I have only two old tower computers with Micro-freakin-soft XP on them yet. Next doozie virus they get and Ubuntu will be permanently installed. Right now, I'm too lazy to do so since they work well because when I want to visit a strange site (which is about 25% of them) that I feel that Microsoft can't handle, like I said, the other OS systems can visit sites with myriads of viruses and not be affected. That's the only reason why these flimsy Microsofts (like all of them are) don't get viruses because I severely limit what I do with them, as one has to do with all Microsoft computers, even the new windows 8.

I've also been considering an e-reader. I prefer books but how can you compare when there are search and dictionary functions on top of the ability to carry around hundreds or thousands of books.

Just not sure what to get. Definitely want touch so that I can highlight and make notes as I usually do. Expandable memory would be nice but not necessary. Definitely would want e-ink, not some color LCD.

Kindle and Sony seem good and the Kobo is okay. One has to consider what each store sells as well, as the content varies. And of course the formats each e-reader can use is a big consideration. PDFs are a must for me as well.

I don't know. So many things to consider. I'm currently reading "Simply Jesus" by N. T. Wright on my iPod Touch, but I find it a little difficult and cumbersome.

Back