Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Egypt and Moses

Did Moses Copy the Egyptians?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Packrat

Here's a link to an interesting article I found: http://www.users.bigpond.com/MSN/gary_fletcher/ark.html

Scroll down to the red heading, The Ark and Egypt. Then read it, and offer your thoughts on it. I'd say that there was also the Gilgamesh/Flood problem to contend with if other cultures had not had similar flood accounts. The Egyptians and the Israelites weren't the only two with similar flood accounts as far as I know.

Anyway, take the poll and let me hear (or read) your thoughts.

Sorry for the "forum flooding" here. I´m new here and i´m just trying to subscribe and be notified when there is an answer....

Concerning the Ark.....

Israel had been in Egypt for at least 180 years before the exodus....I'm sure they had adapted some of the culture (although they kept their national identity pure). Moses was bought up in the Egyptian royal house so I'm sure he was influenced by the culture.

I do believe when the exodus occured, they bought Jacobs body back to Israel. Jacob's body was carried in the ark he was entoombed in. That ark would have been in the Egyptian style.

I do not think that God copied the Egyptians in making the A of the C. However, I do think there may have been similarities in shape...

I've been researching the topic, myself, in what free time I have. Here are some references that have, possibly, to do with it (some for sure, others may have something to do with it):

Isaiah 19:18-25
The Glory of Kings
1Kings 14:25-26
Shishak/Sheshonq I
http://www.bibleandscience.com/archaeology/ark.htm
http://www.lexiline.com/lexiline/lexi000.htm

Each one of those lines is separate from the other but linked to the same topic - was the Ark the original or an invention. There's one article or passage in scripture there that, I think, implies that the ark may have been taken to Egypt at one point.

Alright. I'm back with a little better of a response. Here's my perspective on the matter of Tut's box with Anubis on it.

1. We all know that Tut's chest and the Ark had figures on top of them. We also know that they were box-shaped and had poles on the sides of them. Since Moses came from Egypt, he must have copied the Ark after this artifact or a similar one, right?

A. Well, let's think this through. Are there many other chests in the world today? Are they copying Tut's box? Probably not. What about the poles? How would anyone practically carry something like that without poles? I mean it's more common sense to attach poles to a chest than it is to heft it up as it is. This doesn't mean it was a copy. What about the figures? Anubis is a black dog. The figures on the Ark were golden angels (as far as I know). Does this make it a copy? No. Found in Tut's box I think were elements of the embalming process along with animal bones and some other things including canopic jars. Anubis was the god of embalming (as I've been told). Placing him on this box would only be fitting for their religion.

Anyone else do some research on this? I'd like several different views on the matter. And if you're going to post something to the effect of: The Ark is an Egyptian copy. You have to say more than that it was a chest, that it was carried on poles, and had some figures on top of it.

Example: The egyptian ark has this tiny detail and the Ark of the Covenant was also described as having this tiny detail.

Also, just for a heads up, I've read that the Hebrew cubit was a different length than the Egyptian cubit. Don't know if it's right, but I assume it is. I may research it later.

Also, the staff at http://www.GodandScience.org were quite helpful with answering my questions on this matter. I thank them.

So any comments, insight, suggestions, concerns, or answers?

Back