Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

ELECTION.......IN CHRIST

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Eventide,

Perhaps you (or anyone) can go through the OP and comment on how it is either biblically correct or incorrect.. rather than coming in and making blanket statements without a shred of support.
What 'blanket statement' are you specifically referring to?

eventide said:
ivdavid said:
Let's deal with objective premises and accompanying inferences instead of personalities and subjective biases.
Let's deal with the OP.. you come into the thread without one single comment concerning what I write.. and conclude that it's already settled ? ?
I'm genuinely lost - I commented on the necessity for all of us to refrain from prejudice. I can't see the relevance between your above statement and my comment?

Right.. there's nothing special about God saving you based upon absolutely nothing that you do while sending many to hell for all eternity..
Yes - Nothing inherently special in those who receive such mercy and compassion. If you disagree, please state what you find inherently special in them in such a case.

And regarding the OP,
eventide said:
The bible makes this clear.. because Paul tells us to PUT OFF the OLD MAN who is corrupt according to deceitful lusts and to put on the NEW MAN who is created in righteousness and true holiness..
The OLD MAN is us in our Adamic nature.. the NEW MAN is Christ in us by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Beautifully put. And true. So, which 'man' according to you puts his trust in Christ - is it the OLD MAN who is corrupt according to deceitful lusts? This OLD MAN who is in the flesh which profits nothing and cannot obey the commandments of God?

the scriptures tell us exactly why God has chosen us to salvation.. by sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth.. that's conditional..
Christ is our sanctification - so sanctification is more an evidential condition than a causative condition for man's salvation. And we are saved by the works of Christ - not by something we do. We are no longer under the law but under grace. So faith is another evidential condition and not a causative condition. Isn't believing in Christ to hold as true, the sufficiency of Christ's works alone to justify us unto salvation? How then can we stake a claim for the works of the flesh then?

I'd like to repeat this - it's not that you are biblically incorrect in the premises that you've stated...you just haven't considered all the Biblical premises and hence are amiss in your conclusions.

See again, I'm not concerned with election as a primary doctrine to defend - I am more concerned with believers in Christ enjoying freedom from bondage under the law and to fully appreciate the grace of God in His work of saving us. I don't mind believers denying unconditional election as long as they hold that they didn't do anything causative in their salvation or in their beginning to believe in Christ, even if it is contradictory. We are saved by only what God did and does - completely.

Eventide,

What 'blanket statement' are you specifically referring to?

Where you said that this topic had run its course and yet didn't even bother to address one single comment in the OP.. like I said, very typical imo.

I'm genuinely lost - I commented on the necessity for all of us to refrain from prejudice. I can't see the relevance between your above statement and my comment?

You said let's deal with the objective premises and ignored everything in the OP..

Yes - Nothing inherently special in those who receive such mercy and compassion. If you disagree, please state what you find inherently special in them in such a case.

Let's see.. hmmmmm... what might be special about God electing some to eternal life for absolutely nothing which they did and the rest burn in hell for eternity.. ? ?

Yeah, let me get back to you on that one.. lol.

And regarding the OP,

Beautifully put. And true. So, which 'man' according to you puts his trust in Christ - is it the OLD MAN who is corrupt according to deceitful lusts? This OLD MAN who is in the flesh which profits nothing and cannot obey the commandments of God?

I'm glad you asked... because Eph 1:13 tells us the answer precisely.. where Paul writes that we first trusted in Christ, AFTER hearing the gospel, and that AFTER we believed, God sealed us with the Holy Spirit of promise..

So, what's your take.. that God sealed us first and then we were able to believe..? Sorry, that's backwards.

Christ is our sanctification - so sanctification is more an evidential condition than a causative condition for man's salvation.

Well, at least you can admit that it IS a CONDITION.. which makes unconditional election unbiblical.

And we are saved by the works of Christ - not by something we do.

OK, then what's your answer to this.. I've asked many times.. rarely get an answer..

What must I do to be saved..?

a) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved..

b) nothing..

We are no longer under the law but under grace.

Stating the obvious.

So faith is another evidential condition and not a causative condition. Isn't believing in Christ to hold as true, the sufficiency of Christ's works alone to justify us unto salvation? How then can we stake a claim for the works of the flesh then?

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.. and we know for a fact that God justifies men because of their faith.. and Paul preached repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ.. what a mockery of the bible and the gospel when people claim that God allows you to believe and then condemns multitudes because of their unbelief.. it's really a shame.

I'd like to repeat this - it's not that you are biblically incorrect in the premises that you've stated...you just haven't considered all the Biblical premises and hence are amiss in your conclusions.

Well, by all means feel free to show me exactly where my conclusions are 'amiss'.. more blanket statements without a shred of support.

See again, I'm not concerned with election as a primary doctrine to defend - I am more concerned with believers in Christ enjoying freedom from bondage under the law and to fully appreciate the grace of God in His work of saving us. I don't mind believers denying unconditional election as long as they hold that they didn't do anything causative in their salvation or in their beginning to believe in Christ, even if it is contradictory. We are saved by only what God did and does - completely.

So once again.. what must I do to be saved ?

A) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved..

B) Nothing..

Well if there is no ELECT, then why all the mention of

THOSE WHOSE NAMES ARE WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF LIFE?

(This is found in Revelation and possibly in other places)

Those who overcome will NOT have their names blotted out.

So it seems there is an ELECT GROUP, but also that you can be unelected.

Christ himself says something like "rejoice, because your names are written in heaven"

Eventide,

Where you said that this topic had run its course and yet didn't even bother to address one single comment in the OP.. like I said, very typical imo.
Doesn't it follow - if I felt this topic had run its course, why would you expect me to address an already discussed point? I guess we're simply rephrasing the replies each of us have already posted earlier.

what might be special about God electing some to eternal life for absolutely nothing which they did and the rest burn in hell for eternity.. ? ?
Are you familiar with how a mercy petition works in the legal system? Would you consider the criminal who is granted mercy as someone inherently special? Again, this was the question we ended at - when we discussed this earlier here.

Eph 1:13 tells us the answer precisely..
We've gone through this earlier in post#354 here through to post#368.... 'after we believe, we are sealed' - does not imply the Spirit does not begin His work in us before we believe. Sealing is an act of conclusion, not introduction.

Well, at least you can admit that it IS a CONDITION.. which makes unconditional election unbiblical.
Evidential conditions to check our fruit and not be deceived by sin. Don't you see the difference between evidential conditions and causative conditions? Causative conditions form the law of works and is not of faith nor grace. Evidential conditions are revelations of God's ways - which He Himself fulfills by His grace, giving us the faith to rest upon His works alone. Since evidential conditions are fulfilled by grace, we who are dependent upon God are not required to meet any criteria to receive God's grace - for grace by definition is unmerited. In that sense, we receive freely without meeting any conditions causatively. Why we receive freely of His grace is explained by unconditional election - where no criteria is required of us causatively - but with many criteria required to be fulfilled in us nonetheless, which God Himself is faithful to fulfill in us by His grace.

OK, then what's your answer to this.. I've asked many times.. rarely get an answer..
I've always taken care to answer all your questions - have I missed any that I'm still not aware of? If so, kindly point me there.

What must I do to be saved..?
To that question specifically, I would answer - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
But to the question, what did I causatively do to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ - when so many others do not believe in Him - I would answer, 'Nothing'.
We ought to do many things - and we are unable to do all those things - which is precisely why we depend on God to fulfill all these things in us - which is termed faith. By this very definition, faith excludes any causative good by man.

and we know for a fact that God justifies men because of their faith..
This is exactly what I'm speaking against. God does not justify men because of their faith - He justifies them because of Christ alone - which justification we are able to hope for as His promise through faith in what Christ has done and does.
Well, Heb 11:1 is mistakenly held to be the definition of faith. Faith is simply the act of believing - and to believe is to hold the concerned premise as true. To believe in/on somebody is to hold as true the sufficiency of that somebody to realize a promise or an expected outcome by that person's own ability/nature alone. For eg. 'I believe in Mr.X to win us this game' means I hold as true the sufficiency of Mr.X to realize the expected outcome of winning the game by his own ability/nature.

I guess you hold faith and repentance to be conditions to be met causatively by man in the flesh before God will act His Spiritual work in man. But isn't repentance a turning away from sins - and isn't that what you believe in God to work out in you because of your inability to turn from it yourself. So, repentance is consequent upon faith in God. And faith itself arises only when you realize you are unable to do anything good in the flesh - hence faith itself cannot be of man in the flesh which is affirmed in Scripture where it says that faith is of God and not of man.

what a mockery of the bible and the gospel when people claim that God allows you to believe and then condemns multitudes because of their unbelief.. it's really a shame.
Why so? Does not God retain the right to have mercy and compassion upon whom He wills when anyway none deserve/merit His mercy and when He is not the cause of their transgressions?
And just to confirm, I hope you see that man is condemned because of his own transgressions and not because of the absence of God's mercy.

Then you'd be wrong imo.. He didn't choose you before the foundation of the world.. He chose you IN CHRIST before the foundation of the world.. just as He chose EVERYTHING IN CHRIST before the foundation of the world, because He is the Lamb slain from before the foundation of the world.
How is this statement possibly wrong Even tide?
because He chose me before the foundation of the world to reveal Himself through Christ.

All I've said here is "I believe" with all the implications attached. I was born as I am sure I am here, and I didn't do it. I was in ignorance of God as He was invisible, and He revealed Himself to me through the Christ. Applied with the knowledge that God has foreknowledge of all events, how is this not true? He still chose me in Christ when all is said and done. Are we not arguing semantics here?

Dear Eventide you keep saying this:
So once again.. what must I do to be saved ?

A) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved..

B) Nothing..

Who argues this with you? I am saying that there is a reason a man believes that seperates him from those who don't. Freewill is like random chance in my view.

Eventide,

Doesn't it follow - if I felt this topic had run its course, why would you expect me to address an already discussed point? I guess we're simply rephrasing the replies each of us have already posted earlier.

You've already discussed everything in the OP.. ? You also mentioned that my conclusions are 'amiss'.. although I don't see that pointed out anywhere..

Are you familiar with how a mercy petition works in the legal system? Would you consider the criminal who is granted mercy as someone inherently special? Again, this was the question we ended at - when we discussed this earlier here.

We're not talking about our legal system.. we're talking about eternal life for those who God enables to believe, and eternal damnation for those who do not believe, and who could not believe, because in your pov, God didn't allow it, and yet condemns them for their unbelief.

We've gone through this earlier in post#354 here through to post#368.... 'after we believe, we are sealed' - does not imply the Spirit does not begin His work in us before we believe. Sealing is an act of conclusion, not introduction.

Well of course the GOSPEL is spiritual revelation.. for His words are Spirit and they are life.. and obviously the Holy Spirit has been sent into the world to convince the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment.. couple this with the biblical fact that He is that true light which lighteth every man that comes into the world..

Although that doesn't mandate that He makes men believe it.. that's what we must do according to the word of God.. and that's when our faith in Christ is sealed.. AFTER we believe.. it's a biblical fact. It was the same with Abraham in that he was given the seal of faith (circumcision) for the faith that he HAD before he was circumcized.

Evidential conditions to check our fruit and not be deceived by sin. Don't you see the difference between evidential conditions and causative conditions? Causative conditions form the law of works and is not of faith nor grace. Evidential conditions are revelations of God's ways - which He Himself fulfills by His grace, giving us the faith to rest upon His works alone. Since evidential conditions are fulfilled by grace, we who are dependent upon God are not required to meet any criteria to receive God's grace - for grace by definition is unmerited. In that sense, we receive freely without meeting any conditions causatively. Why we receive freely of His grace is explained by unconditional election - where no criteria is required of us causatively - but with many criteria required to be fulfilled in us nonetheless, which God Himself is faithful to fulfill in us by His grace.

Regardless of the fact that you see faith as an evidence rather than a cause.. it doesn't change the fact that it is a condition upon which God has chosen us to salvation.

And while I do contend that believing is something that we must do to be saved.. ultimately it is God who places every person into Christ.

When the Lord told the woman with the issue of blood that her faith has saved her.. you're saying that it is simply evidence that God has already saved her regardless of her faith.. correct ?

I've always taken care to answer all your questions - have I missed any that I'm still not aware of? If so, kindly point me there.

To that question specifically, I would answer - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Then you'd be biblically correct.. doing nothing is biblically uncorrect..

But to the question, what did I causatively do to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ - when so many others do not believe in Him - I would answer, 'Nothing'.

The bible tells us why many don't believe on Him.. and it also gives us simple examples.. like the rich man going away sad because he was rich.. when in reality, according to your pov, God didn't allow him to believe so he couldn't.. right..? Your view completely ignores the reasons provided and sums it up in that God didn't allow it..

We ought to do many things - and we are unable to do all those things - which is precisely why we depend on God to fulfill all these things in us - which is termed faith. By this very definition, faith excludes any causative good by man.

And of course Calvinism takes this to the extreme in that a man can't believe the gospel message unless God allows that, and then condemns men for their unbelief. Adam could hear God's voice in the garden after he fell and he understood that God was calling him.. it's a biblical precedent which speaks for all men in Adam..

This is exactly what I'm speaking against. God does not justify men because of their faith - He justifies them because of Christ alone - which justification we are able to hope for as His promise through faith in what Christ has done and does.

So maybe you should correct the word of God in Romans 5 where it plainly says that we have access into His grace by faith.. or that the just shall live by faith.. are you denying these simple biblical truths ?

Well, Heb 11:1 is mistakenly held to be the definition of faith.

So when Heb 11 says that these all 'embraced His promises by faith'.. having seen them afar off.. that's not a definition of faith.. ?

Faith is simply the act of believing - and to believe is to hold the concerned premise as true.

I would say that Heb 11 says precisely that.. that they embraced His promises and were justified in doing so.

I guess you hold faith and repentance to be conditions to be met causatively by man in the flesh before God will act His Spiritual work in man.

Once again, you can't ignore the simple fact that the gospel is spiritual revelation to man and that the Holy Spirit convinces the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment.. NOW what would be the point in that if God allows men to be convinced of it in the first place..?

But isn't repentance a turning away from sins - and isn't that what you believe in God to work out in you because of your inability to turn from it yourself. So, repentance is consequent upon faith in God. And faith itself arises only when you realize you are unable to do anything good in the flesh - hence faith itself cannot be of man in the flesh which is affirmed in Scripture where it says that faith is of God and not of man.

Repentance is toward God and it's based upon godly sorrow.. according to Paul.. it's essentially agreeing with Him that we have all gone astray and that if we continue down this path that we're rightfully condemned in it.. it's also agreeing that if I shall seek to save my life that I will lose it and that if I lose it for Him and the gospel, that I will save it.. NOW how ridiculous would it be if God commands all men everywhere to repent and to obey the gospel, and then denies the means for it.. and then condemns them for being disobedient to the gospel ?

Why so? Does not God retain the right to have mercy and compassion upon whom He wills when anyway none deserve/merit His mercy and when He is not the cause of their transgressions?

That would be ok if the bible didn't clearly say that He has mercy upon all..

And just to confirm, I hope you see that man is condemned because of his own transgressions and not because of the absence of God's mercy.

All unbelievers will have their place in the lake of fire according to scripture.. and yet according to you and Calvinism.. they couldn't believe because God din't allow them to believe..

NOW.. with respect to the main thrust of this thread.. perhaps you can explain why YOU are the elect of God along with His Son.. this would be your contention, correct ? That Christ alone isn't the elect, and that we are also the elect in addition to Him.. ?

Well of course you would agree with someone who is a Calvinist.. big surprise there.. I went back and looked and he's the one who closed the thread for no apparent reason.. no reason given to me etc.. it's probably simply because he's a calvinist doesn't like it when unconditional election gets proven wrong over and over again.. lol
No need to pigeonhole me into your preconceived ideas that because I adhere to certain Biblical doctrines, but not all that Calvinism professes, I must be a Calvinist. Your contempt for them has been shown through and through.

I ended the last thread because it did run it's course. Solid points against your particular belief, one which I have yet come across by most solid Scholars and commentators, were given, but your persistence and mindset that you were right and they were wrong, is what did killed the thread. You consistently added the words
[in Christ] into verses where it did not exist. It is your implication, not the Bible's.

You did it to yourself. :bigfrown

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back